Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:49:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331589 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79 Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 (expect spoilers for the entire series)  (Read 86526 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: July 15, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

If you think about it, the fight between humans and machine is MUCH more significant then the Dark Energy stuff. Dark Energy was only mentioned in passing a few times with the Rannoch quest being the biggest thing mentioning it. That's not defending the endings though, they STILL suck. I feel bad for the people holding on to the Indoctrination Theory like my brother. It seems the Extended Cut was made to explicitly disprove it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: July 15, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

First and foremost being, if the Reapers discovered that Mass Effect technology was causing Dark Energy to rampage out of control, why would they continue to allow galactic civilization to utilize it for MILLIONS OF YEARS before putting their final plan to contain the phenomenon into motion? Why not destroy all the Mass Relays and ensure that any spacefaring race does not utilize Mass Effect technology upon threat of extermination while trying to find a solution to the problem? Even hand waving that part, how exactly would they combat Dark Energy, an ostensibly natural phenomenon? I mean, it's like asking scientists now to find a way to control earthquakes and tornadoes. I get the feeling that fans are just enamored with 'what could have been' and thus elevate the Dark Energy ending into some sort of perfect ending when it has just as many problems - if not more - than the endings we got.

Well firstly, it isn't the technology that is causing the expansion of dark energy, just that it relies on dark energy to work.  The expansion is happening regardless.

Secondly, I don't see how controlling natural phenomenon is outside the realm of possibility.  Sure, asking scientists now to control earthquakes and tornadoes is beyond our capabilities (which is why one of those two choices mentioned earlier likely means the doom of the universe and arguably a worse choice than betraying your own kind), but we don't know what the future holds.  Electricity is a naturally occurring phenomena that we have learned to control, manipulate, and regulate that allows us to enjoy the comforts we have today.  We have lightning rods, surge protectors, grounding, and all sorts of other measures to mitigate the damage that lightning strikes can cause.  Mere centuries ago, none of this would have been deemed even remotely possible.  Fire is a naturally occurring phenomenon, yet society has developed tools to combat it as well as harness it for our own uses.  We use it to cook our food while we simultaneously put it out with large quantities of monoammonium phosphate or water when our homes are threatened to be burned down.

If they had gone the dark energy route, there still would have been problems and unanswered questions, sure.  But I sincerely believe that there would have been a lot less controversy.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1067 on: July 17, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »

That link is  very interesting. I'm much more on the side of the supposed "original" ending. It's a difficult choice, but it's way more pertinent to the story than what we got. The EC at least gave it some closure, but the core irrelevancy of the 'ultimate choice' to the plot of the series as a whole still smarts. Whatevs, though. Sad that after such a fantastic series I'm basically just apathetic to it as a whole. Not at all what I'd hoped would come of it.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1068 on: August 03, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/03/leviathan-add-on-will-change-mass-effect-3s-ending?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

"Rift in your ending"

I swear to god, Bioware, if "rift" in your ending means "1000 more points to your war assets meter" I'm going to fucking brain someone.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: August 03, 2012, 04:27:08 AM »

Hmm; this might be the time to pick up 2 and 3 then. I delayed past my initial questioning because I noticed the DLC on ME2 had an expiration date for claiming. XP Thanks EA; nice to know that even if I bought it new the DLC would've been invalid. And they put this kind of important notation in tiny print on the backside.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: August 03, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

So Leviathin is story only, no multiplayer additions? That's sort of...crap.

TASTY!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1071 on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:42 PM »

So Leviathin is story only, no multiplayer additions? That's sort of...crap.

Um, it seems like they've been making their regular MP updates free so as not to fragment the community.  Doesn't make sense for them to make a MP update paid if this is the case.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

Well, I should elaborate a bit. I say it's crap because, like it's mentioned in the article, we all know the story already. Even people who haven't played the game, unless they have seriously been ducking all, and I do mean ALL mass effect 3 info still have a general idea of how the game ends. Leviathin is simply adding more meat to the bologne sandwich, it doesn't make it any less of a bologne sandwich. Now if this expansion can actually change the ending in full, yeah, this is a huge deal and I will be buying it ASAP. But given Bioware's desire to firmly state that
Code:
You are dead, deal with it
I don't see it happening. The multiplayer aspect at least keeps the game running for the vast majority. Many people won't bother playing through the entire game again just to play through an event where we can go underwater, and still watch the multicolor ending scheme that won't change at all. Call me pessimistic, but I just don't consider this a smart move on bioware's end.

TASTY!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »

Actually I have a hunch how this might go. Two really.

Hunch #1:
Code:
Here; you have a weapon that can kill Reapers. Go do the 'refuse' option. Here's your Star Wars Death-Star-Blows-Up
ending, now shut up about it.

Hunch #2:
Code:
Here; you have a weapon that can kill Reapers. Go do the 'refuse' option. Hey look; you almost won!
I bet you if you buy a few more future DLC story quests with more legendary weapons
you might actually win someday.

Either way...I dread those options. As I said before, I actually like the idea that you can't always kill space Cthulhu.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1074 on: August 03, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »

Actually I have a hunch how this might go. Two really.

Hunch #1:
Code:
Here; you have a weapon that can kill Reapers. Go do the 'refuse' option. Here's your Star Wars Death-Star-Blows-Up
ending, now shut up about it.

Hunch #2:
Code:
Here; you have a weapon that can kill Reapers. Go do the 'refuse' option. Hey look; you almost won!
I bet you if you buy a few more future DLC story quests with more legendary weapons
you might actually win someday.

Either way...I dread those options. As I said before, I actually like the idea that you can't always kill space Cthulhu.

I agree completely, I was suspecting something like one of these two scenarios. I'd ACTUALLY be okay with that. It allows them to maintain their original narrative vision (whatever the fuck that was) while still appeasing EVERYONE.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 29, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

So what do you think of Leviathan? I admit I was in part afraid it wouldnt be worth the ten bucks, but I really enjoyed it. It took me 3+ hours to complete, was very interesting and you get a lot more on the Reapers than Starbrat could hope to tell you.

My one regret was not taking the husk head from the lab. :P Ship models can't compare to a screaming head.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1076 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43:58 AM »

I had two thoughts about the plot threads it introduced.

1) Entirely made to attempt to justify their ending.

2) Fucking ridiculous.

Code:
So the Leviathans noticed that all the species they enthralled were creating AIs that rebelled... so to counteract this... they created an AI. Which rebelled. Face fucking palm.

That said, I guess the gameplay was still solid. But my god, they need to just fucking stop.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »

Yeah, the thing I hated was that it was as cyclical as the Starbrat's explanations. Knowing how the Reapers originated was kinda neat though. Even if it's like hey, this sounds familiar...

But still. Husk head.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1078 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

At least they can still get the gameplay right.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 31, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

Yeah, if gameplay/performance had stayed the same as ME1 the series would be a genuine laughing stock rather than a generally great series that kind of went off the rails at the very end narrative-wise.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: