Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:13:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331798 Posts in 13585 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  LA Noire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: LA Noire  (Read 8677 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »

There is racism in the game where non-whites are generally looked down upon and treated like shit.  It gives the game a feeling of authenticity since the goal was to create the look, feel, and sound of 1940s Los Angeles in an era where racism was still very prominent.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

Women are also treated like crap, despite being 'above' non-whites in terms of importance.

Anyway, finished the game yesterday. Awesome game, hope they make more like it and refine the controls. Not sure I completely understand the ending, as I was half asleep when I finished.

Code:
Did everyone other than Fontaine get away with it? Was that Roy Earle delivering the eulogy? If so... wow, downer ending.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »

Yeah, it was him.  The ending was fitting though, given that it's a noir story.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »

I was kind of hoping at least he wold get his just desserts, I hated that son of a bitch.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

Playing the game, LOVING it. I'm a big Noir buff. I had the itch last night, so I went back and watched The Third Man, again. They've really got it down, accept for a couple of things:

1) Haze Code - Between the late 1930s and early 1960s, the film industry was incredibly tame on the language, sex, and violence. Not that I have a problem with ANY of that, if done well. HOWEVER, it really breaks it out of the classic noir mould everytime someone yells "FUCK!" or you see an up-close-and-personal shot of a naked, eviscerated female corpse. The themes in Film Noir are supposed to be visceral, but the presentation was always subdued. I know that it's more realistic to real-life, but for the most part, if feels like the game is trying to capture the essence of the film genre, so I have to dissagree with this design choice.

2) Black & White - THANKS FOR INCLUDING IT! But it should be the default. Honestly, the game just plays SO MUCH BETTER in Black & White, there's just no comparison. Suddenly all the high contrast lighting just pops, the fascial expresions are more vivid, everything just looks more real. I tried switching back to color for a few minutes, and it was just wrong.

3) Film Grain Effect - If there was ever a game that would really benefit from a film grain effect, it's this one. BioWare's been doing it by default, and the first thing I do when I play ME or DA is turn it off, because I don't think it fits. But here, it would be perfect.

4) I've always hated Rockstar's saving system, but it's at it's worst here. Half the time, it doesn't even tell you when you're saving... you can never create new saves and try things out (I had to replay an entire case yesterday because I missed something and thought it hadn't saved yet). It's just aweful. Not intuitive, and not fun.

Aside from those things, i'm LOVING it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »

1) Haze Code - Between the late 1930s and early 1960s, the film industry was incredibly tame on the language, sex, and violence. Not that I have a problem with ANY of that, if done well. HOWEVER, it really breaks it out of the classic noir mould everytime someone yells "FUCK!" or you see an up-close-and-personal shot of a naked, eviscerated female corpse. The themes in Film Noir are supposed to be visceral, but the presentation was always subdued. I know that it's more realistic to real-life, but for the most part, if feels like the game is trying to capture the essence of the film genre, so I have to dissagree with this design choice.
As I reall, Noir was a movement purposely created for the purpose of protesting the Hays Code, which maintained that movies had to be 'bad guy does bad stuff, good guy gives them their comeuppance, everyone is happy' story-wise. LA Noire is what those would have been if the Hays Code didn't exist.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2011, 02:58:31 AM »

i've decided to not play the game. thanks for your input guys!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »

Alisha, I think that truly would be a mistake. Yes, there is racism and sexism in the game but it only highlights how far we've come since then instead of being "oh shit negative portrayal." L.A. Noire is one of the best game experiences this gn, I strongly recommend you at least try it.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2011, 06:17:32 AM »

Leyviur. You're absolutely right, and that's why I'm torn. It's just a little jarring because it seems out of place in with the rest of the Noir. Eh... what am I saying, post-Hays code saw quite a few visceral Noirs like Chinatown.

Though, for a bit of clarification. Noir actually originated out of pulp novels and B movies out of the early depression, pre-Hays code, actually. The genre went underground for a while, considered by many to be tasteless, but then got discovered by the French just after WWII, hence the name. The French lauded it as legitimate art, and the genre gained wide acceptance and a resurgence during the 40s and early 50s.

It's always weird to go back and see films in that strange window between the invention of sound and Hays code. Suddenly you get old films that you expect to be tame, but are incredibly brutal, especially during the 30s. When I saw "Wages of Courage" (a movie about a group of amoral men risking each other's lives to make a buck on the most dangerous road in Africa) my jaw dropped.

Hays Code is for fascism anyway.

Alicia, God damnit, you're starting to remind me of those crazy fundy religious types who won't send their child to school because it's too secular!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:20:06 AM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

This is Shenmue 3.

Phelps picks up random crap and declares it unimportant.

Ryo Hazuki talks to random people and asks them where sailors hang out.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

I haven't played it, but I would encourage you to play a game that has received such unanimously positive reactions. The racism isn't meant to do anything other than create a sense of verisimilitude.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:22 AM »

Pay more attention to whether the writers are racist/sexist than if the world is; the former is a problem while the latter is simply flavor and being true to reality. Of course, given your general leaning for games I'm thinking you'd just be bored by this anyway, so better to stay away.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »

i decided to give it a rent.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »

I didn't really notice that Cole was racist.  Othere cops in the game OTOH..  There's certainly stereotyping of African-Americans and Hispanics but they're mostly pawns and victims in the game.  I found the plot twists really interesting, and overall it's not predictable. 
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »

There is racism in the game where non-whites are generally looked down upon and treated like shit.  It gives the game a feeling of authenticity since the goal was to create the look, feel, and sound of 1940s Los Angeles in an era where racism was still very prominent.

This. Racism was more blunt, out in the open and generally accepted in most social circles in public. I also thought it lent to the realism.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: