Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319602 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  LA Noire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: LA Noire  (Read 8236 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »

It dawned on me today while playing LA Noire that this game is a perfect marriage between the point and click/gather clues/go search and hand to hand fight people gameplay of Shenmue (Dreamcast) mixed with the gunfights of Uncharted. This is truly one of the best games I've played in a  few years.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »

Just finished LA: Noire. Quite an extraordinary game in many ways. Unfortunately some of the gameplay is a bit repetitive, but the story and characters are some of the best I've EVER SEEN. Cole was such an intricate character. It's very rare to have a game in which the more the game progresses, the less you like a character, but this game did it extraordinarily. At first, he's the perfect Knight in Shining Armor, maybe a bit naive, maybe slightly broken, but pretty much perfect. But then the more you progress, the more his faults become apparent.

Code:
I think it was especially telling that they shifted the main character to Jack Kelso, because at a certain point, it's impossible to really understand/sympathize with Cole. He's still the "good guy", but he's become so distant and unable to understand that they basically had to make the main character someone else. He dies a hero, but a fallen one. I really hope they make another one, because I'd love to play as Jack Kelso, PI. Private dicks make for far more interesting leads than police officers, because they work outside the system. I have a feeling that they're setting up for a Jack Kelso series. Cole's fall from grace made for one great game, but it's obvious from the start that he'd never make a good serial hero. Kelso, on the other hand, is the kind of lead that would have made Raymond Chandler proud.

I was so worried early on that Cole was going to be just a goody goody. That would have completely gone against the Noir tradition, and would have been really boring. It was so shocking when the big revelation came around. Funny thing is, Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe used to have affairs with married women all the time, but you hardly would care, because it just seemed natural. When Cole did it, it was just so unlike anything we'd seen, it really was shocking. Worked very well.

Finally, I noticed that GameSpot had a terrible article the other day trying to prove that Phelps was a psychopath. It was one of the most flawed and silly articles I'd ever seen out of them. I got the feeling that the author hadn't played the game, but was going off a synopsis. He and a psychiatrist put Phelps' character through a "test" and determined that he was a bonafide psychopath. Yet their reasoning behind every criteria was so completely wrong that all it did was prove how little they paid attention during the game!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2011, 11:31:07 AM »

Go check extra credits if you want something sensical about LA noire.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3633-Race-in-Games
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »

I've got no motivation to finish this game. As good as the voice acting is, there's times when Cole's responses are really out of proportion to the question. He seems to get all loud or aggressive out of the blue in certain instances. I'm not talking about heated interrogation, just starter questions.

Also, the structure is a bit repetitive. And I HATE how you really aren't given a clear direction as to what location to hunt for people/clues "next." If you make what seems to be the logical move more often than not it wasn't and you lose out on a clue or line of questioning.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »

"I don't believe you, sir. I THINK YOU LILLED YOUR WIFE AND THREW HER INTO THE BURNING BUOLDING BECAUSE YOU WERE ANGRY AT HER FOR COOKING YOUR EGGS WRONG."

"No I didn't!"

"Sorry, sometimes you have to shake the tree to see what comes loose."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: