Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327838 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 40022 times)
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »

Eh, was leveling even required in Oblivion? I'm pretty sure you could beat the entire game without leveling much, if at all. Why was Oblivion called an RPG is beyond me.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »

I'm excited because, according to their blog, Bethesda is using a brand new engine for the game.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

WHO CARES

People who have PS3s care.

Chances are when I have a PS3 I still won't care...

Hopefully I'll get the console version this time. I still need a usb controller to play Morrowind and Oblivion on PC.

I always found the keyboard controls to more more intuitive.

I'm not very good at it. Then again, I find a keyboard unintuitive in general. The fewer buttons I gotta keep track of, the better. A controller is more comfortable, too, IMO.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »

I find it weird to jump to the console version for these games when you presumably have a decent computer. Unless your system is too weak for the game I'd just get a wired 360 controller and call it a day, the support New Vegas has for it is perfect and I assume that was the case in Fallout 3 too.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »

I find it weird to jump to the console version for these games when you presumably have a decent computer. Unless your system is too weak for the game I'd just get a wired 360 controller and call it a day, the support New Vegas has for it is perfect and I assume that was the case in Fallout 3 too.

If I get a lot of Xmas money, I'll get one, but otherwise I'll probably just have to wait until it's cheap on the consoles. Unless of course I can get a job before the holidays, which would be nice. I hate complaining about monetary issues, but that's how it's gonna be for a while.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:08:27 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

Either that or use a Dual Shock 3 in Xbox 360 emulation mode. That's how I do it... and it feels gooooood

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »

Skyrim is the choice I was least looking forward to for the next ES.  While I'll almost certainly enjoy the game, as long as it's not a buggy mess, I'd prefer a less "normal" fantasy setting.  Shivering Isles shows Bethesda can still do it, so why did they go back to the more overused traditional setting?  I'd absolutely kill for the faction-torn High Rock or Summerset Isle in a more abstract fantasy.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »

Either that or use a Dual Shock 3 in Xbox 360 emulation mode. That's how I do it... and it feels gooooood

I bought a cheap PS2 controller adapter online. Hopefully that should suffice.=P

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »

Finally!!!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »

I'm excited because, according to their blog, Bethesda is using a brand new engine for the game.
I really have no problem with the old engine they used for Oblivion and Fallout. Sure it's outdated and has some dumb flaws, but it isn't as bad as some people claim it is. I'm glad they are using a brand new engine though, this seems like it may be the next upgrade of the Elder Scrolls, like Oblivion was to Morrowind. I just hope they get change the way they approach their dungeons. Some of them were memorable in Oblivion, but many of them were simple copy and paste.
It really doesn't matter though, I'm a fan of Bethesda and I enjoy their Elder scrolls series. I have faith that they will deliver something I would want to play.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »

I really have no problem with the old engine they used for Oblivion and Fallout. Sure it's outdated and has some dumb flaws, but it isn't as bad as some people claim it is. I'm glad they are using a brand new engine though, this seems like it may be the next upgrade of the Elder Scrolls, like Oblivion was to Morrowind. I just hope they get change the way they approach their dungeons. Some of them were memorable in Oblivion, but many of them were simple copy and paste.
It really doesn't matter though, I'm a fan of Bethesda and I enjoy their Elder scrolls series. I have faith that they will deliver something I would want to play.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

Lol, never said it was pretty!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »

Hope we get more than 6 voice actors this time.Every FREAKING Imperial sounds the same

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »

Scans (courtesy of gamingeverything):-

Info (courtesy of GAF):-

On leveling:

Totally revamped, no more class selection at the start of the game, every skill you level contributes to your overall level. And each time you level you get extra health plus the ability to get either more health, magicka or stamina.
Each level also brings you perks. Cool abilities I guess like in Fallout 3.
Also, the leveling was moved from 1-25 or something like that to 1-50, but 50 is soft-capped, you just advance really slow after that.

On skills:

Mysticism is gone.
18 skills, down from 21 on Oblivion, and 27 on Morrowind.
Tries to accomodate players who want to specialize in a certain proffesion (like mage or thief), while at the same time giving room for players who like to do plenty of everything. They want to keep a special care so that this feels good, not prone to cheating and organic.

On the story and lore:

200 years after Oblivion. Set in Skyrim, a region north of the imperial city, where the Nords live.
The dragons are returning, as it was prophetized. You are gonna be trying to stop the wicked dragon god. You are a dragonborn, a dragon hunter. Your mentor is one of the last blade, voiced by some old dude from Shutter Island and Minority Report.
Also, there is a civil war, since the king is dead.
Enemies include were-yeti's, giant spider, dragons and other cool creatures.

On combat:

They want to make it more dynamic and tactical. You have to assign each hand with a function I think, either magic, 2 weapons, a weapon and a shield, etc.
You can also waste stamina by sprinting, allowing you to get access to tactical postitions.
Emphasis on really improving the combat this time around.
They are also putting care on how each weapon feel on your hand.

Other:

Third person view has been improved
5 massive cities, more variation in caves and underground stuff.

On quests:

Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.

I can add that there is an option for no HUD.

On Conversations:

Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore.
Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.

On Weapon smithing:

Go to a forge and carve a new weapon out of red hot metal.

Dual-wielding:

you have two hands now in combat and you can wield anything to both hands. You may assign a dagger on left hand and use a mace with right hand. The choice as they say is yours.

Duel:

You may duel any NPC on the streets western style.

Inheritance:

When you kill a shopkeeper, his/her family member will inherit the shop and will be angry about you, but stil give you missions.

Level-scaling:

It is coming back

18 skills:

supposedly even less skills to play with?

No mysticism

Perks:

Rumored to be in Skyrim. I may have understood it wrong.

Boosts:

Pick stamina, health, magic boosts on level up.

Enchanting:

This skill makes a return.

"Radiant storytelling" or Level Scaling 2.0:

"The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you've played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses."

Fast-Travel:

As you probably expect, you can instantly travel to previous locations with a tap of the button

Sprinting:

You can now sprint about!

Town visiting:

You may do more in towns, like tailor weapons, cooking, farming or mining. Not much details about this or how detailed they are as jobs.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »

Thanks for the scans!

I was going to write up a long post on my opinions on changes, but I figure no-one wants to read a long-winded rant/praise, so let's just say I definitely think some are for the better.  But
Code:
Did I just read that my character can become Emperor? Maybe not "will" but "has the potential to?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: