Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 01:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338734 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 45314 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »

I was super happy to find that my PC would run it, so I got it there because of my fears.  And for mods.  I haven't installed a ton, just one that improves framerate and a couple to improve the inventory and favorites menus.  Oh, and one that makes the mineral veins sort of glow, after I realized that there was no way I was willing to walk around looking at every wall and rock on the ground.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
billy7777

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »

So a buddy of mine is playing through this and he's starting to echo what a lot of people are having trouble with.....the game getting stagnant.

This is sort of what happens when you give players what they want (huge world, more content, longer games) - instead of the old saying in entertainment... "leaving them wanting more"
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »

I'm bored with it. I haven't played it in about a month. I wish I didn't waste my money.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »

Here I thought having more content in a game was a GOOD thing.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »

Here I thought having more content in a game was a GOOD thing.

Not always.  Daggerfall had a disgustingly huge amount of content, yet most of it was random and pointless.  The entire game was pretty much made up of quests like Skyrim's randomized ones.  It wasn't the "content" that made Daggerfall good, but its execution, namely, the freedom it allowed and the sheer scope.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »

Skyrim has both the random, unimportant quests and the storyline quests, though. If you don't like the crap quests just don't do them. I never realized that the choice of doing whichever quest you want was a bad thing.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »

I don't disagree.  The main issue arises when the non-random quests are made secondary to the random quests (as in Daggerfall, in which case I would argue more content is bad).

In truth, my only complaint about the quests in Skyrim is that in some cases it feels as if Bethesda just didn't have time to finish them all. It feels like half of the quests in the College and Companions storylines were cut out.  Both quests go from Introduction, to "here's your antagonist," to "climax," to "You're leader now, go kill some random monster."

Not to mention to 100% the Thieves Guild you actually have to grind the random quests.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

Ah, that I can agree with, it does seems that some questlines were severely cut short, and the thief guild questline was horrific near the end.

Still, though. With games like this you're bound to have a few crappy quests along with the awesome ones. I think the good ones outnumber the bad in Skyrim, myself.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »

Skyrim's one of the better examples, but the crappier parts CAN show when too much is too much in regards to content. Though it also depends on h ow easy it is to find stuff and whatnot, it's not particularly hard to dig up the good stuff in Skyrim, but if it were it wouldn't matter how good that stuff was if I was more likely to waste time with stupid shit.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Don't people exaggerate anyway? I mean, most people I know, started getting bored with the game after 60 hours.
60 hours of entertainment is nothing to scoff at =/
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

I'm 70 hours in and still completely enamored by the game. Then again, I have an amazing amount of patience when doing something I enjoy, which is why I can get pissed at FFXIII after 20 hours but still want more from Skyrim after 70. It is a fucking masterpiece of game architecture.

Skyrim has a lot of bugs, yes, but the process of making a game this huge and involved will always involve a lot of problems; the fact that they even got a game like this running boggles my mind - it is honestly HUGE.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »

Skyrim has a lot of bugs, yes, but the process of making a game this huge and involved will always involve a lot of problems; the fact that they even got a game like this running boggles my mind - it is honestly HUGE.

This is why I'm generally much, much more forgiving of Bethesda than, say, NISA/Gust. A reliably triggered, serious bug in a linear JRPG should be easy enough to catch and squash, whereas I can understand there being so many weird variables in Bethesda games that make it hard to catch everything. Then again, it sometimes seems like the more linear games are MORE prone to serious bugs, you never had stupidly easy to trigger bugs that kept you from beating older Zeldas like you could get in the newer games (which probably helps explain why progress is much more controlled...)
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »

I won't agree with one word you said because you've got it completely backwards. I loathe consumerists who TEND to forgive a corporation because their product is so "complex". Skyrim is a broken mess on every platform it released and it's shameful that they, the devs,  swim in pools of cash right now, after releasing an unfinished good. What's more funny about this is that the problem existed way longer than Skyrim and not one person did a thing about it because ... I don't know why. Weird variables can be ironed out in QA, EVEN in such massive games Bugthesda seems to develop.
Also, there is no need to praise them for getting a game this huge to run. Making it to run with minimal bugs would have been an acomplishment, but in it's current state, it's meh.
Take Just Cause 2 for example. It has a much bigger world than Skyrim, has the same amount of filler content, looks twice as better and way smoother in the framerate department.

I can rant all day on the matter but earning cash to pay some dudes who lie about the parity of the console ports, and not giving the so-called journalists all the review versions makes me feel rather sick.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »

Skyrim is a broken mess on every platform it released

And I won't agree with one word you said. It took 35 hours before I had my first bug. Actually, it wasn't really a bug, it was a CTD which is technically my own fault for playing the game a bit higher than what I should on my computer (and playing for hours too).
Other than that, in my 70 hours save, I have a quest that's stuck in my quest log (didn't disappear after completion) and that's pretty much it.
Either I'm among the lucky few or Skyrim is actually pretty stable with the patches.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

Skyrim is a broken mess on every platform it released

And I won't agree with one word you said. It took 35 hours before I had my first bug. Actually, it wasn't really a bug, it was a CTD which is technically my own fault for playing the game a bit higher than what I should on my computer (and playing for hours too).
Other than that, in my 70 hours save, I have a quest that's stuck in my quest log (didn't disappear after completion) and that's pretty much it.
Either I'm among the lucky few or Skyrim is actually pretty stable with the patches.

I have to agree. I played for a month and I never experienced anything wrong, except for that one quest bug in Windhelm.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: