Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 122693 times)

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
I'm willing to believe this. The PS3 is known for being difficult to program. Bethesda is known for buggy products. Its a fairly explosive combination.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
Contrary to early reports, the 360 version is far superior to the PS3 version. Apparently you also get increased input lag after your save file reaches a certain size on PS3 (5.5 mb), what the hell?

How is it superior? My roommate is playing the 360 version and I haven't been able to see a bit of difference between watching him play and playing on my PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim

I don't even know where to start, frame-rate, draw distance, far more agressive LOD, blurier image because of FXAA instead of the MSAA used on 360... just read it.

These are really just nit-picks. The game looks and runs fine if you ask me.

The article says at the end that the 360 is merely recommended, and that they're both fine to play on. With the PC obviously being the best way to play because of mods and things like that.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:06:06 PM by Fadedsun »
"Oh, a hunter..."

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I never said it was unplayable.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
I never said it was unplayable.

I know, but you did say it was superior, which might give people the idea that it's not as good on PS3.
"Oh, a hunter..."

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
I said it's superior because it is superior. Jesus Christ man.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

ShadowLaguna

• Rattle your goddamn head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
In other words, does it really matter? It's Skyrim. All that matters is the fact that it's enjoyable whether it's on PS3, 360 or PC, right? I'm playing it on a standard TV, and I'm loving it. xD

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530

Uru

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
According to Steam, I've but 45 hours into Skyrim since I got it release day. I think i completed the main story quest.... Soooooooooo many fucking things to do still. Without having that linear progression there, there really is no sense of urgency to do things. It also doesn't help that with every town you find you get like 30 fucking quests which send you to the other side of Skyrim and by doing so find other towns with another 30 quests. As of right now, I think I have around 50 quests active on my "main" quest log and "Misc" log.

Also, Thieves Guild quest bugged out for me, so the one guild I wanted to join is inaccessible.

Darklight

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
Say what now? I think most people will buy 360 versions of cross platform games though I think superior is going a bit far. I bought both oblivion goty and fallout 3 goty for the 360 After buying the Ps3 versions, just the insane bugs and crappy visuals.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
In other words, does it really matter? It's Skyrim. All that matters is the fact that it's enjoyable whether it's on PS3, 360 or PC, right? I'm playing it on a standard TV, and I'm loving it. xD

Basically what I was trying to get across. Thanks for wording it better. Besides all these little technical differences, everyones overall experience of the game will be the same no matter how they're playing it.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 15, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
Say what now? I think most people will buy 360 versions of cross platform games though I think superior is going a bit far.

I think when going from a technical angle, no, there'll be clearly superior/inferior versions. The REAL question is if it's by so much it really matters, and in the case of Skyrim I'm thinking "no", it's more "if you have both consoles and want to know which of the two to get, go with 360." Especially since the D-Pad now accesses a favorite menu rather than serving as quick select.

Playing on PC myself... with the 360 controller. Don't like how the UI and keyboard and mouse work for this game so far, I'll probably switch to that in a replay further down the road when the modding scene has matured. Really wish you could switch instantly like in Deus Ex or other games rather than having to toggle the controller on/off though, just so I could use the mouse in areas where I find the sticks impractical.

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2011, 05:49:48 AM »
I said it's superior because it is superior. Jesus Christ man.

To be fair, you said "far superior" which is probably a bit of a stretch. It does imply that someones experience would be significantly impacted by the choice of platform. There's really no excuse for PS3 inferiority though, so differences are exaggerated.

Zyco

• Hope I'm not the old guy!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
Have it on the PS3 here.. about 20 hours in and so far not one issue with 2 characters and 10ish save files. The game really looks good on the PS3, only see some weird shadow rendering if I want to be picky.. but i usually turn of shadows if I can anyway.. they just distract mostly and make the game work harder.

Dont believe the anti-PS3 hype.. owned mine since 2009 and have had no issues on it whatsoever and I use mine daily as a media center and game console.. its pretty much on all day.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

What's the glitch? And for what system? Didn't happen for me, and I'm assuming for the majority of the people that bought it.

I have it on the 360 Slim,its installed as well.

The glitch is when I have to hunt out the first dragon which I assume lets you use a Shout.The game won't let me walk anymore after speaking with the mage guy that wanted the Dragonstone.I'm just stuck there.

Reloaded my file,didn't work.

Restarted my 360,didn't work.

Started a new file,rushed to that first main story mission and it didn't work.I always get stuck.

This is the 360 version AKA "the superior version"

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
I'm playing on the 360 but not installed.  It crashed on me this evening but that's the only problem I've had so far. I'm about 10 hours in and level 15 I think. Just took down my 3rd dragon although a roaming giant did most of the work with the 2nd:) 
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
Speaking of dragons, I was attacked by one near Solitude. I was fighting it and then it got far away from me so I took after it. I saw that it landed over a hill and all the sudden it's life was going down. I was thinking, what the hell is going on? I run over there and a mammoth is taking down the dragon! It was a sight to see a dragon fighting a mammoth. I put the final arrow in just so I could say the kill was mine. The mammoth wasn't a friendly one, though. He thought it would be cool to chase after me after he had his fill of the dragon.
"Oh, a hunter..."