Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 122694 times)

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2011, 04:42:12 AM »
Speaking of dragons, I was attacked by one near Solitude. I was fighting it and then it got far away from me so I took after it. I saw that it landed over a hill and all the sudden it's life was going down. I was thinking, what the hell is going on? I run over there and a mammoth is taking down the dragon! It was a sight to see a dragon fighting a mammoth. I put the final arrow in just so I could say the kill was mine. The mammoth wasn't a friendly one, though. He thought it would be cool to chase after me after he had his fill of the dragon.

Excellent stuff. I haven't bought the game yet but reading stuff like that, regardless of whether it's considered a bug, makes me want to shell out the £££.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Is anyone doing the Dark Brotherhood quest line? I think I've encountered some kind of bug where I keep getting the same quest over and over again. I've killed the same guy twice now.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I though it was a bug. I guess it's just a continuous quest that you can take over and over again just to get money.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:17:59 PM by Fadedsun »
"Oh, a hunter..."

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Ran into another severe bug, though apparently this one has no workaround and the Thieves Guild questline is now completely broken for me. A word of warning to anyone doing this quest, as soon as you're told to meet an NPC at a standing stone, do it immediately. I didn't, I went off and did lots of other quests for several hours and now that NPC has disappeared and the quest is impossible to complete.

I'm really starting to think now I should have just waited until the game was patched properly before playing it. I can tolerate minor quests breaking but this sort of thing is just unacceptable.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:43:26 AM by DPB »

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Got Skyrim yesterday.

This shit is crazy.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2011, 01:29:44 AM »
I've beaten the Thieves Guild and The Companions so far.

To be honest, a little underwhelming. The Thieves guild starts out good but after it shifts to temples and dungeons, it gets kind of boring.  They could have had some really good sneaking missions.. too bad. At least the story was decent.

The Companions was just all around meh.

Hopefully the Main Quest, DB, and Mages guild pick up the pace. The random quests have been better than the main questlines so far.

Tenchi-no-Ryu

• RPGFan's MMO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
Absolutely love this game. Just finished my first set of Daedric Armor. Lydia over there is in Dragonbone plate.

It sucks that farming Daedra hearts for the stuff takes FOREVER.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
I've beaten the Thieves Guild and The Companions so far.

To be honest, a little underwhelming. The Thieves guild starts out good but after it shifts to temples and dungeons, it gets kind of boring.  They could have had some really good sneaking missions.. too bad. At least the story was decent.

After having gone to back to an old save and completed the guild, I have to agree with that. I still enjoyed it well enough, but I was expecting more stealing and less dungeon crawling.
Code: [Select]
Aside from the very first quest pickpocketing seemed to be completely unnecessary, and I was hoping for an elaborate heist at some point, but there was nothing of the sort. That said, I do like that there seem to be more quests outside the Thieves Guild that require or at least encourage a stealthy approach now.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
Some very nice mods with significant texture upgrades are popping up, I'll have to get into this soon.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
Thoren: regarding the Thieves Guild again, I just discovered that doing those extra jobs actually unlocks more quests. I'd mostly ignored them since I didn't think they were of any importance. You have to do quite a lot of them for the quests to unlock, but the payoff is worth it - these are proper stealth missions, not dungeon crawling.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:08:18 PM by DPB »

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Finished the Dark Brotherhood today. The quest line was pretty awesome, but it tapers off towards the end after a certain event. Now I'm just exploring the map more and going into random caves. I realized I wasn't exploring much and was mainly fast traveling to my destinations after getting so many quests.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 23, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
Thanks DPB I will do some of them and check those out!

I beat the main quest today and I have to say, while it was fairly enjoyable, I'm still feeling an overall dissatisfaction from the game. It's like once the shock and awe of the world wears off, you're left with weak quests with mediocre narrative. The story of the main quest is actually well thought out and good, but the execution is poor.

I had more fun playing Oblivion and Morrowind.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
Have you done the Blackreach quest yet? You get it by going to a cave in the far NE past Winterhold. Probably one of the best quests in the game, IMO. And Blackreach by itself is just huge and awesome.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Have you done the Blackreach quest yet? You get it by going to a cave in the far NE past Winterhold. Probably one of the best quests in the game, IMO. And Blackreach by itself is just huge and awesome.

I admit, that was one of the few 'indoor' areas that actually impressed me.  I went there as part of the main quest, and I have a quest that wants me to find all of the special nirnroot, but I can't be bothered with more fetch quests. Is there more to Blackreach?

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »

I admit, that was one of the few 'indoor' areas that actually impressed me.  I went there as part of the main quest, and I have a quest that wants me to find all of the special nirnroot, but I can't be bothered with more fetch quests. Is there more to Blackreach?

I'm not sure. I honestly haven't explored all of it yet. I did get that Nirnroot quest, though. People have been saying that it's a good quest, so there must be more to it towards the end.

Code: [Select]
If you go to Blackreach as part of a another side quest, it's to go and get an Elderscroll
Not sure if anyone would find that a spoiler. Put as one just in case.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Darklight

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2011, 01:01:48 AM »
The best way to describe where I am at the moment is a huge cave system on the NE side of the map with the staff off paralysis. I'm yet to fight a dragon and am half way through the companion quests. A random Bandit faking ailments promised gold to walk him to his camp in safety, only to be ambushed. I dashed ahead of him and he didn't follow, Sat on a rock and started firing arrows into the bandits. Since the ambush hadn't started, the bandits just sat there saying "Stop that". With them all dead I went back to the Bandit faking illness who followed me to his dead companions who then said i was trapped, the fight was only 1 on 1. This game is full of surprises and has lived up to the hype imho