Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »
I've taken down 5 or 6 dragons so far and I just found my fifth 'shout' this afternoon.  I think i'm going to start working on my enchantment and smithing skills a little more. I really need some better enhancements on my gear:(
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

daschrier

• View Profile

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »
Has anyone else seen this yet?

http://kotaku.com/5861752/skyrim-contains-the-entire-elder-scrolls-continent-including-morrowind-and-cyrodiil

That's pretty crazy.

Man, those comments got out of hand. Everyone wanted to be a part of that long running Elder Scrolls: XX joke.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 24, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »
So I hear Skyrim has the same game save issues (save files getting bigger and bigger and causing the game to crash) that every other PS3 Bethesda has. :/
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
So I hear Skyrim has the same game save issues (save files getting bigger and bigger and causing the game to crash) that every other PS3 Bethesda has. :/

Hasn't happened to me yet and my save file is almost 9000KB.
"Oh, a hunter..."

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

I doubt the issue is exclusive to the PS3. The Xbox version of Morrowind had exactly the same problems. Bethesda is Bethesda. Their games are not worth playing until after a mountain of patches and mods. I once made the mistake of buying a Bethesda game right upon release(Oblivion PC). Never again.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »

Not everyone is experiencing it so it might be related to the model of the PS3, but it's definitely an issue, the game has become literally unplayable for some people.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2011, 05:37:29 PM »
Thanks DPB I will do some of them and check those out!

I beat the main quest today and I have to say, while it was fairly enjoyable, I'm still feeling an overall dissatisfaction from the game. It's like once the shock and awe of the world wears off, you're left with weak quests with mediocre narrative. The story of the main quest is actually well thought out and good, but the execution is poor.

I had more fun playing Oblivion and Morrowind.

Yes that in a nutshell.The main quest had some interesting moments but it was lacking in many areas and after I finished,it felt like nothing had changed.

Uru

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2011, 06:32:18 PM »
Its a great sandbox game but it lacks narrative and cohesion. I don't think I can remember a single choice that i made in the game that had any impact (including the stormcloaks vs legion sides). All I know is that I can one-shot back-stab giants, and that's my cue to put the game down.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:00 AM »
Its a great sandbox game but it lacks narrative and cohesion. I don't think I can remember a single choice that i made in the game that had any impact (including the stormcloaks vs legion sides).

It's because of things like this that this game can't touch the witcher 2.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2011, 05:32:21 AM »
CD Projekt is the only that can make a better game than The Witcher 2 at this point. Besides, Skyrim is for other audience.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »
Why do you say it's for another audience? They are both medieval fantasy rpgs, the setting is actually pretty similar, I think the audience is pretty much the same.

I started with this yesterday and installed some cool mods. There are some incredibly beautiful sky mods and you can improve most textures in the game, characters, water, snow, fire, etc. Is anyone here playing on PC?

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2011, 06:18:49 AM »
There's different focuses, and depending on what you want more specifically one will be more appealing over the other, but I'd think the overlap would be significant anyway. Not as if any game has 100% overlap anyway.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2011, 06:51:04 AM »
Eh, my final thoughts:
Skyrim is a game where its parts are greater than its sum. There are moments where the game hits the place it should be at: A blend of story, narrative, and gameplay blended together in this wonderful open world experience. Unfortunately, the game fails to stay consistent with those positive experiences. The quests and dungeons are cut-and-paste, not only in graphics and enemies, but in overall design.

There should be more variety.

The entirety of the Dark Brotherhood quest-line should not simply be 'hunt and kill x y z.' There should be some choice to it. Remember 'whodunnit' and the 'purging' from Oblivion? There needed to be more parts like that in Skyrim.

The biggest culprit is the main theme of the game, the civil war, which barely scratches the surface of what it could have been. Why not let the war matter more?  Imagine if your alignment have an affect on the way the world treated you, from NPCs to quests. The negotiating table during the main quest was an impressive part of the game - except that none of it really mattered in the end. The war dynamic could have been so innovative, and much more so than a simple swapping of a Jarl and housecarl.

There needs to be more to the game than walking through linear dungeons while killing enemies. There needs to be more to the quests than fetching items in said dungeons. The Elder Scrolls needs to be more intelligent than this.