Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:41:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 35440 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »

Eh, my final thoughts:
Skyrim is a game where its parts are greater than its sum. There are moments where the game hits the place it should be at: A blend of story, narrative, and gameplay blended together in this wonderful open world experience. Unfortunately, the game fails to stay consistent with those positive experiences. The quests and dungeons are cut-and-paste, not only in graphics and enemies, but in overall design.

There should be more variety.

The entirety of the Dark Brotherhood quest-line should not simply be 'hunt and kill x y z.' There should be some choice to it. Remember 'whodunnit' and the 'purging' from Oblivion? There needed to be more parts like that in Skyrim.

The biggest culprit is the main theme of the game, the civil war, which barely scratches the surface of what it could have been. Why not let the war matter more?  Imagine if your alignment have an affect on the way the world treated you, from NPCs to quests. The negotiating table during the main quest was an impressive part of the game - except that none of it really mattered in the end. The war dynamic could have been so innovative, and much more so than a simple swapping of a Jarl and housecarl.

There needs to be more to the game than walking through linear dungeons while killing enemies. There needs to be more to the quests than fetching items in said dungeons. The Elder Scrolls needs to be more intelligent than this.

That's why bigger isn't always better which is where I'm coming from with the witcher comparison. Though the game gives you a lot of freedom and has the player's choices matter more than in any other videogame ever, it is designed in a way that allows for consistent pacing throughout the game. With the game being broken into chapters, there's only so much you can do before you need to return to the main story to move things forward, this way the developers make sure that you don't spend dozens of hours away from the main quest, breaking the pace of the plot. Combine this with a great story and memorable characters and you have perfection.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »

With some more TLC, open world games could be much better. If they had some more innovation in the dungeons it would alleviate the repetition.

If a player went into a dungeon thinking "oh shit, I wonder what I'll encounter in here!" instead of "time to sprint through while murdering everything and spinning the occasional animal tile puzzle" It would be a much better game. If the game is going to be open world to the scale of Skyrim, the world itself has to be able to stand alone as fun and interesting.

But even quests should give that feeling of excitement and something new. An example: the Thieves Guild is so repetitious. Imagine if a theft mission had a flow like this:

1) Find a way to get invited to a noble's dinner party
1b) Break into the party.
1c) Join the wait staff to get in.

Bam, already you have multiple ways of making this interesting. Your character is a Khajit? Yeah, you're not getting into that shit most likely.

2) Mingle with guests to get more information
2b) If breaking in, swap clothes after breaking in and blend in to the party.
2c) Sneak around and find clues/eavesdrop on people to find objectives.

Have multiple ways to complete the objective. Why not?

3) Talk your way into the room with the goal
3b) Sneak/lockpick your way into the room with the goal
3c) Trick someone into getting the item for you

4) Escape somehow

IMO this should be the average mission; not in the setting, but in the variety of choices. Every quest should not be some lame "sneak into building and lockpick a chest" or "Crawl through a dungeon while two followers clumsily sneak themselves onto pressure plate traps." It's not a complicated set up. Let the player feel clever and smart, even if they are being guided by an invisible hand.

I'm just ranting here, but it's because I really don't think that much though process went into these quests. It's all watered down and simple as possible.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »

They were too busy creating the world, it's so fucking huge. It's still a fantastic game but if you look at it objectively this, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and NV are pretty much the same template with a different skin. I found Fallout 3's world to be more interesting though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »

That's pretty cool, thanks
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »

PS3 patch is out.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »

PS3 patch is out.

What did it fix?

Strange. My game didn't say there was a new patch when I turned it on just now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:51:20 AM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »

PS3 patch is out.

I'm terrified of installing it.  My save file is 19MB and my FPS gets so low that I take one step every 5-10 seconds during more exciting events (the civil war battles were pretty much a slide show).  I feel like it just might be the last thing that breaks my character.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »

All I know is that I can one-shot back-stab giants, and that's my cue to put the game down.

Yeah, the backstab perks and equipment are somewhat over-the-top. I've managed to ambush a couple of sleeping dragons, jump on top of them from a ledge above and backstab them for 30x damage, in one case instantly killing it. There's very little that can withstand that.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »

PS3 patch is out.

What did it fix?

Strange. My game didn't say there was a new patch when I turned it on just now.

Europe only apparently.

PS3 patch is out.

I'm terrified of installing it.  My save file is 19MB and my FPS gets so low that I take one step every 5-10 seconds during more exciting events (the civil war battles were pretty much a slide show).  I feel like it just might be the last thing that breaks my character.

It will most likely fiix your problem.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 01, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »

Anybody else up to level 30 yet?  I love how they said there wouldn't be any level scaling like Oblivion, but every bandit in all of Skyrim suddenly went home, loaded up on armor, weapons and spells and are now kicking my ass.  It's certainly not as noticeable as Oblivion (gotta love those rats that still put up a fight after ten levels) but the game still scales with your character. 
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »

1.2 patch completely ruined the game on console- helped the framerates a little, but now magic resistances don't exist, (so mages or fire breaths will rip you up) total game crashes are way more often, and dragons now glitch like crazy, sometimes flying backwards. 

Disconnect from LIVE or PSN and keep playing with 1.1 if you haven't downloaded the patch yet, so you aren't forced to update. 
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »

1.2 patch completely ruined the game on console- helped the framerates a little, but now magic resistances don't exist, (so mages or fire breaths will rip you up) total game crashes are way more often, and dragons now glitch like crazy, sometimes flying backwards. 

Disconnect from LIVE or PSN and keep playing with 1.1 if you haven't downloaded the patch yet, so you aren't forced to update. 

The magic bit doesn't sound like a bad thing because magic never even hurt me before. It was pretty pathetic that a dragon was breathing fire on me and I was barely taking any damage, but then I get attacked by a bear and it's taking off half my life with one attack.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: December 01, 2011, 01:43:34 PM »

What a mess.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2011, 01:48:57 AM »

This is awesome.

http://andriasang.com/comz67/tango_skyrim/

Especially considering how HUGE (and pricey) the CE is.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »

Bethesda talking about Skyrim. They're going to fix the magic resistance and backwards dragon bugs next week. They also talk about future updates.

http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: