Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331351 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 41913 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »

Full analysis of the notorious 'Rimlag' issue on PS3 and why the patched version still isn't good enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

It's the worst performance they ever recorded, literally a slideshow with drops to 0 fps. Reminds me of when I was fighting the cats in dark souls lol.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:01:50 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:35 PM »

Full analysis of the notorious 'Rimlag' issue on PS3 and why the patched version still isn't good enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

It's the worst performance they ever recorded, literally a slideshow with drops to 0 fps. Reminds me of when I was fighting the cats in dark souls lol.

That's what I was saying earlier. Unfortunately, the patch made it worse.  The other Elder Scrolls game had FPS drops, even freezing drops but this is by far the worst I've seen released from them.  Another thing - even my heavily-modded Oblivion file has saves that load faster, and its saves can take 2 minutes to load.

Have a PS3? Want to play Skyrim for any prolonged period of time? Wait for the GotY edition. I was eventually forced to retire my character because after 5 minutes of playing the FPS would start to stutter on the field map. Dungeons and internal cells were okay.

Oh, there's also a save glitch.  Do not keep only one save and make a new character, as the first save you make is overwritten by the new save that's created once you re-roll. Obviously, most Bethesda players know to keep more than one file, but this is just precautionary and should be mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:30:27 PM by Cyril » Logged
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »

So a buddy of mine is playing through this and he's starting to echo what a lot of people are having trouble with.....the game getting stagnant. I think the biggest reason why I'm not running into this is because of my 6 year addiction to WoW. I think the wife remaining interested to a point has helped too.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »

So a buddy of mine is playing through this and he's starting to echo what a lot of people are having trouble with.....the game getting stagnant. I think the biggest reason why I'm not running into this is because of my 6 year addiction to WoW. I think the wife remaining interested to a point has helped too.

Yeah, it gets to a certain point after playing so long that it wasn't as good as you thought it was. Initially, I was amazed by the world - there are some fantastic sights to see, and it does seem at first that there's a great variety of dungeons. Eventually repetition sets in and you come to realise that most of the dungeons are actually more less the same thing, and the quest design isn't that great, consisting of 90% fetch quests (not helped by the 'Radiant Story' system, which just adds more and more fetch quests).

I still I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't a 10/10. I thought Fallout 3 was better in some respects, I prefer a smaller more focused world than the kitchen sink approach Bethesda takes in TES.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »

Yeah, it gets to a certain point after playing so long that it wasn't as good as you thought it was. Initially, I was amazed by the world - there are some fantastic sights to see, and it does seem at first that there's a great variety of dungeons. Eventually repetition sets in and you come to realise that most of the dungeons are actually more less the same thing, and the quest design isn't that great, consisting of 90% fetch quests (not helped by the 'Radiant Story' system, which just adds more and more fetch quests).

I still I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't a 10/10. I thought Fallout 3 was better in some respects, I prefer a smaller more focused world than the kitchen sink approach Bethesda takes in TES.

My thoughts exactly.

This is the first TES game that I have played and probably be the last. The bugs, lag, CTD (I'm playing on my PC), and the repetitious nature has solidify my decision in not buying another TES game.

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

A lot of what was said in the podcast, and what folks are saying above, I think is valid: fetch quests are definitely the game's undoing in many respects.

I mean, that's what made me hate Fable III.

Also, I think what held true in the podcast about Fallout 3 having much more interesting characterization and style held true as well. However, the big thing to note, is Elder Scrolls and Fallout are completely different things and you shouldn't be looking for the same approaches in each game's development.

I certainly know I'll be playing this game in big spurts (largely Skyward Sword's to blame...) but I find taking a role-play approach will keep it interesting. Now, I don't go crazy hardcore and full D&D all up in this biz, but I give my character a bit of, well, character and make him stick to it. My bosmer is an awesome sneaky archer, but he's no thief. Regardless of how easy it is to steal things, he never will. He also won't follow through on quests that'll wrong the honest folk of the various towns. Finally, he's a hunter, and is now taking to hunting bandits (and goodness knows that population needs controlling) and dragons. He hasn't an ounce of magic in him, won't use a sword, thus I'm sticking to one type of role, regardless of how easy it is to be everything with one character. I'll likely do another runthrough in time with a completely different type of character, who'll take on different quests from the one this dude does. Dunno', maybe I'm too much of a tryhard or D&D kid, but that approach I think adds some better dimensions to the game instead of the initial ADD that Skyrim throws at you with, "OMG teh world are HUGE!" and you run around doing everything.

Pick a path and stick to it, says I *shrugs*

All in all, though, a solid title. The world is really quite breathtaking. I just came upon... uh... Solitude! Yes. Solitude. And it looked so epic, up on that outcropping stone formation? Awesomeness.

Anyways, that's my two cents, but nice reading what everyone else has to say. It's no Skyward Sword, but it still offers something pretty rad to the RPG gamer.

And does anyone else think some invite-only multiplayer would make this sweet?

P.S. Kim might appreciate this, but I can't help but think of how awesome a Harvest Moon with this much scope would be haha. So epic, farming all over Skyrim. Seeing the ranches and farms just planted that thought in my head (and yeah, I know that's also pretty close to Minecraft... but I prefer my Harvest Moon!)

Just Greg, thanks.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »

I like Skyrim because the game is so big, there's literally ALWAYS something new to find. Most of my fun is just travelling paths I haven't walked yet.
I'm level 47 and I have yet to even meet the Greybeards. I'm just running around the world.
Either be it a random moment created by unexpected enemy encounters or something about a location; there's always something that happens while I explore.
Maybe one day I'll do fetch quests or main quests... right now I'm busy just seeing the world.

Example: Someone told me today that apparently there are vampires hidden within iceberg up North East. Now I just HAVE to go take a swim in the ocean.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »

Hmm, maybe I'm alone here, but I feel this ended up being one of Soule's weaker soundtracks.  Most of the best songs are reused or remixed from the older games.  The main "powerful, grand" exploration song is a mix of Minstrel's Lament, for example.

To me it suffers from the "tries too hard to be epic" syndrome. The songs are great in-game and they work, but they aren't particularly memorable.
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »

I liked Fallout: New Vegas a lot more than anything in Skyrim. Some of the main story Skyrim quests were decent (main storyline, major guild and city quests, etc.), but like people have been saying, the rest of it is filler. The combat is repetitive and imbalanced, as well.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »

So i've finished a grand total of 2 main story quests, I just can't get bored of this game. I've come across one bug which was the murder in windhelm, it's fixable by following the markers even if you worked out the killer. I remember I 1st signed on here when replaying oblivion goty on ps3 and running into vampire glitch, hopefully no killer glitches like this exist.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »

Skyrim: 10 million shipped, $650 million in revenue

You know what that means?
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:48 AM »

So i've finished a grand total of 2 main story quests, I just can't get bored of this game. I've come across one bug which was the murder in windhelm, it's fixable by following the markers even if you worked out the killer. I remember I 1st signed on here when replaying oblivion goty on ps3 and running into vampire glitch, hopefully no killer glitches like this exist.

Brace yourself for the worst of your fears, if you play on PS3.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: December 21, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »

Adachi plays Skyrim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsZN70wHleU
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:17:27 AM by Annubis » Logged
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2011, 07:43:21 AM »

So I finally finished the game. Without spoiling anything to those who haven't yet beaten the game, anyone else a bit disappointed ? I mean, not even a credits roll after "all that trouble" of saving Skyrim.

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

Brace yourself for the worst of your fears, if you play on PS3.

:)  Bought the 360 version because of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: