Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319078 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV Complete Collection for PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: FFIV Complete Collection for PSP  (Read 13517 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »

The DS version quintessential?  A lot of peopled hated it.

TAY aside, I might get this just for the chance to play FFIV again.  I skipped the DS version and would rather keep it 2D anyway.

What was there to hate about the DS version??
I thought it did the job - impressive 3D considering the system as well.
It was fucken hard too.... x_X

I'm skipping the PSP one, watching relevant bits on YouTube.  None too eager to play through this, and The After Years isn't that huge a draw......... except to see Golbez ready to fucken hand the world an asking... he is so cool looking.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »

Just a year ago, FF4DS was the quintesential version of the game

Battles were slowed down too much, the sidequest they added was bullshit, the map completion Augment encouraged stupid OCD on maps that had filler that was purely there for flavor in the SNES original, and the game DID come out 3 years ago. Not that I'm hyped for this due to it being the fifth US release of a game I've mostly outgrown, but the DS version left an awful taste in my mouth and I'd rather have one that (hopefully) at least kept things speedy, AND this is going to only be $30 rather than $40.

Oh, and going to 2D is not inherently bad. Odd given the PSP's capabilities, yes, but not bad.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »

THe thing that's left a bad taste in my mouth across all versions is the tendency to give Rydia green lipstick.

beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »

I tried the DS version, and for some reason, didn't get that into it. It wasn't really bad, I don't think, but something didn't feel right. Also, since I love 2-d, hand-drawn graphics, this remake sounds great to me.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »

What Kevadu said...honestly, I hated the look of FF4DS. Now I get to play it and TAY (which I'd still rather play myself instead of blowing it off), now with all the extras and upgrades that the SNES version (which was the last version I played), without the ugky 3D and hopefully for a good price. I'll probably get it and The 3rd Birthday for Xmas, however.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »

I'm bumping this thread because there's a very interesting interview with Takashi Tokita:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6351/years_after_the_final_fantasy_iv_.php

Finally a journalist that isn't afraid to ask difficult questions:

I'm sure you have a lot of discussions about it internally, but there was a period where Square games were the most acclaimed, and it's not as consistent anymore. What might bring that time back, in your opinion? How could you approach that sort of period again?

TT: I don't think it's just about Square; it's Japan overall, where we put an over-importance on technology and really let slide some of the important use of story and concept and, really, the collaboration and coordination between the teams. I think, if we find a way again to have teams come together and motivate them and really share their energy and their knowledge, that will really bring that back.

[Tokita pulls out two smartphones -- a Japanese device and an iPhone.]

These two smartphones really exemplify what I mean in terms of an overreliance on technology. Whereas the iPhone is really well-balanced and easy to use overall, this Japanese phone has a lot of great tech features, like a 12 megapixel camera. You don't necessarily need something that high-end. And it's waterproof, and it has a TV antenna. But it's really hard to use. They focus so much on these tech aspects that they've forgotten to create something that's user-friendly.

I like to reflect on Final Fantasy IV and, at the time, how far ahead it was. It's not to say that Square Enix doesn't make games that are on par with what's being made contemporarily, but you don't push as hard anymore.

TT: Right now, we're so influenced by everyone's opinions, and the internet, and everything you hear, and what everyone else is making. I actually think it would be better if we would shut all of that out and just made what we want to make. That would create something that would be more original.

I feel like creating things without getting too hung up on little details, and paying more attention to the importance to the concept itself, is the way to move forward.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

Great post.

Thanks.

JP
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »

Thoughts on people who played yesterday?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »

Thoughts on people who played yesterday?

I think it came out a day late or something.  Canada did anyway, I dunno.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »

I've had two other readers tell me Canada doesn't have it yet. Another reader, Amazon and EB all now say April 30th. :(

Yet someone in Toronto found it yesterday. I DON'T GET IT.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »

I've had two other readers tell me Canada doesn't have it yet. Another reader, Amazon and EB all now say April 30th. :(

Maybe there's someone on the shipment truck just throwing random copies off of the back.

I'll pick this up tomorrow. Maybe this time I'll get past where I was in the GBA version, which wasn't that far at all.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »

I got it yesterday too, in Minnesota. Just figured I'd throw it out there...
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »

The US has it, we know that. This is about Canadian availability though.

Maybe Toronto smuggled some in from the States. :-P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

I bought it (in Canada) yesterday (near Montreal). I'm still waiting for The Legend of Heroes to arrive though! I noticed a something strange, there is no "UMD" logo on the disc, anyobdy else noticed that? And well, early impressions, I really think that the combat is sloooowwwww, I can hit an enemy 6 times before it hits me back... Hope combats will speed up later on. I remember that the PS1 version was really harder than the SNES FFII... I thought this was supposed to be the "real" version.

I have fury!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:54 PM »

Seems people are finding it up here now. It's definitely in the Vancouver area. Doesn't explain the April 30th release date on some of our online retailers though...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: