Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:37:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338771 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV Complete Collection for PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: FFIV Complete Collection for PSP  (Read 15219 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »

I bought it (in Canada) yesterday (near Montreal). I'm still waiting for The Legend of Heroes to arrive though! I noticed a something strange, there is no "UMD" logo on the disc, anyobdy else noticed that?

I think that's what they're doing now.  They cut off the little game controller or video marks a while back.  Trails in the Sky has no "UMD" text, either.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

I bought it (in Canada) yesterday (near Montreal). I'm still waiting for The Legend of Heroes to arrive though! I noticed a something strange, there is no "UMD" logo on the disc, anyobdy else noticed that?

I think that's what they're doing now.  They cut off the little game controller or video marks a while back.  Trails in the Sky has no "UMD" text, either.

I suspect they have old stock they've been burning through though, I've heard there was no UMD logo on some TO cases while mine had UMD still on TO and LoH. Wish they kept that on at least, it just looks too barren without. That, or replaced it with a different logo that's cheaper to print or whatever (if that's possible!).
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »

I bought it (in Canada) yesterday (near Montreal). I'm still waiting for The Legend of Heroes to arrive though! I noticed a something strange, there is no "UMD" logo on the disc, anyobdy else noticed that? And well, early impressions, I really think that the combat is sloooowwwww, I can hit an enemy 6 times before it hits me back... Hope combats will speed up later on. I remember that the PS1 version was really harder than the SNES FFII... I thought this was supposed to be the "real" version.

Go ahead and change "Battle Speed" and "Menu Speed" to 1 in the Menu settings.

Do that, and normal battles will finish in under 10 seconds.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2011, 02:08:49 AM »

Wow...best purchase I'm going to make this year was buying this game; period. FFIV was the game that got my into RPGs so this is like a nostalgia trip, only amplified because all the new trimmings make it more like discovering the game all over again rather than just reliving fond and familiar memories. The Auto Battle is a God send too for those many random battles. And the celtic remix of Rosa's theme is candy for the ears.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »

Wow...best purchase I'm going to make this year was buying this game; period. FFIV was the game that got my into RPGs so this is like a nostalgia trip, only amplified because all the new trimmings make it more like discovering the game all over again rather than just reliving fond and familiar memories. The Auto Battle is a God send too for those many random battles. And the celtic remix of Rosa's theme is candy for the ears.

I know the fire for FFIV still going for quite a few people but... man, there's been so much good stuff already out, niche or mainstream, that IVCC's a blip on the radar in comparison.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2011, 03:31:29 AM »

The biggest change I appreciate to this game so far is that they drastically, drastically cut down the time it takes to level Paladin when you change.

It took me 2-3 battles to get to level 10.

Auto-battle is great too. Other than that, I actually don't like what they've done with some of the songs (Theme of Love and Rydia's theme).
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:33 AM »

I know the fire for FFIV still going for quite a few people but... man, there's been so much good stuff already out, niche or mainstream, that IVCC's a blip on the radar in comparison.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's game of the year for everyone, or even a small group of people. But for me, personally, this is pretty much the best RPG experience I'm going to have this year. ^^; Unless something takes me by utter surprise but I doubt it. Modern gaming really doesn't do it for me as between my novel writing and Tabletop RPG groups I get far better stories and mechanical systems than anything the VG industry is cranking out.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2011, 04:14:39 AM »

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's game of the year for everyone, or even a small group of people. But for me, personally, this is pretty much the best RPG experience I'm going to have this year. ^^; Unless something takes me by utter surprise but I doubt it. Modern gaming really doesn't do it for me as between my novel writing and Tabletop RPG groups I get far better stories and mechanical systems than anything the VG industry is cranking out.

If the business of Trails in the Sky ending in a cliffhanger didn't put you off already I'd say you'd probably want to check it out based on that! Though it's worth checking out when part 2's around the corner at least. And admittedly the only major releases that really interest(ed) me are Portal 2 and The Witcher 2, though I AM curious about LA Noire.

But, yeah. FFIV's come out enough that I can't get too excited, nor does it help I mostly outgrew it, BUT I do imagine this will be my favorite release of the game when I get around to playing it, touched up without some of the flaws (slow battles) of the DS version.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:22:39 AM by Eusis » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2011, 04:50:39 AM »

If the business of Trails in the Sky ending in a cliffhanger didn't put you off already I'd say you'd probably want to check it out based on that! Though it's worth checking out when part 2's around the corner at least. And admittedly the only major releases that really interest(ed) me are Portal 2 and The Witcher 2, though I AM curious about LA Noire.

But, yeah. FFIV's come out enough that I can't get too excited, nor does it help I mostly outgrew it, BUT I do imagine this will be my favorite release of the game when I get around to playing it, touched up without some of the flaws (slow battles) of the DS version.

Probably helps that I haven't played FFIV since I was 6 and on the original SNES. XD So all the various re-ports haven't burnt me out of it. I honestly considered TitS because I adore the character design but the whole cliffhanger + 3 games thing put me off. Last time I tried playing a 3 part cliffhanger RPG it was Xenosaga...the lesson I learned from that was I can't play multi-parter games unless I have all the parts right then and there.

Portal 2's worth it; if nothing else for the dialog and the ending, which is quite epic (and that's not a word I use that often). Granted I watched a complete high-res playthrough of it on Youtube rather than playing it myself but even from that I can tell it's a game that anyone with a sense of humor and some decent platforming skills should totally give the once through.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 04:55:34 AM »

Probably helps that I haven't played FFIV since I was 6 and on the original SNES. XD So all the various re-ports haven't burnt me out of it. I honestly considered TitS because I adore the character design but the whole cliffhanger + 3 games thing put me off. Last time I tried playing a 3 part cliffhanger RPG it was Xenosaga...the lesson I learned from that was I can't play multi-parter games unless I have all the parts right then and there.

Portal 2's worth it; if nothing else for the dialog and the ending, which is quite epic (and that's not a word I use that often). Granted I watched a complete high-res playthrough of it on Youtube rather than playing it myself but even from that I can tell it's a game that anyone with a sense of humor and some decent platforming skills should totally give the once through.

Well, keep in mind that Trails was a single game that got expanded to two due to it growing out of control, with the third installment more or less being an encore demanded by fans, so the main story will be resolved in the second game and you shouldn't need to wait on the third one to resolve a bastard of a cliffhanger (which kinda concerns me given that 2013 is probably the earliest it can arrive). And, yeah, Portal 2's pretty great, though I definitely had more tricky platforming in the original... for the best given how much of a pain that can be.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »

Trails in the Sky is pretty much my game of the year so far.  I'm loving it.  It's a game that makes me remember why I liked JRPGs in the first place (which giving recent console titles I was starting to forget...).

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »

My game of the year was Mass Effect 2 PS3. And it's going to be very difficult to top it.

I'm looking forward to playing this when I can. It may not have the nostalgia factor for me as much as for other people; or as FFVI or Chrono Trigger does. The cart I had/borrowed was buggy as hell, so I didn't get to beat the game until the PSone version - and the style of the DS one does nothing for me.

I remember the final dungeon handing my ass to me many times. But is the difficulty really toned down on the PSP version? That's what I'm hearing.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »

I remember the final dungeon handing my ass to me many times. But is the difficulty really toned down on the PSP version? That's what I'm hearing.

It's not any easier than the GBA version.  The main reason why it comes off as easier is that they lowered certain amounts of EXP to level up (as mentioned above - I don't know if it's as drastic for any other class other than Paladin) and auto-battle is wonderful.

In the original version of the game, two modes of the game were released .The PSX version is known as "hard" mode, while the original release in the west was "easy."  I'm pretty sure the GBA version was based off of "easy" mode. The first half of "easy" mode is relatively easy, but it spikes in difficulty about halfway through to the point where if you don't pay attention you die.
Now that I think about it, that's pretty much how Hard mode is as well. Except Hard mode needs more grinding for the first 5-6 hours of the game.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »

Easy mode removed a bunch of stuff like extra commands from the characters and a lot of the items, including single use spell items which can serve to actually make certain situations easier if you know what you are doing. They also changed the design of the final boss. Hard mode is just the game as it was originally designed to be.

All versions had that difficulty spike lodged around that magnetic cave because its the magnetic cave which was a bastard of a dungeon to begin with. All you really need to do to get around that spike anyways is to simply go back to Mt. Ordeals and grind for a bit. The exp gains in that area aren't much lower than during any other point during that spike and Cecil will still be able to utterly rip apart anything that rears their ugly head.

I bought it (in Canada) yesterday (near Montreal). I'm still waiting for The Legend of Heroes to arrive though! I noticed a something strange, there is no "UMD" logo on the disc, anyobdy else noticed that? And well, early impressions, I really think that the combat is sloooowwwww, I can hit an enemy 6 times before it hits me back... Hope combats will speed up later on. I remember that the PS1 version was really harder than the SNES FFII... I thought this was supposed to be the "real" version.

Go ahead and change "Battle Speed" and "Menu Speed" to 1 in the Menu settings.

Do that, and normal battles will finish in under 10 seconds.

This alone pretty much makes this the definitive version of the game (unless the load times off the UMD are hideous). Being able to check out the Wonder Years without having to pay an ass load of money (for what is essentially a glorified RPGMaker game) is just icing on the cake.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »

Like I said, I've only beaten the PSone version, now that you mention it I did grind a lot. I know that one's hardtype but I nearly forgot about the GBA version actually - never beat that one either!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:50:20 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: