Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 02:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV Complete Collection for PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: FFIV Complete Collection for PSP  (Read 14540 times)
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »

41 hours?

I just beat Z last night at 12:32 mins.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »

Riiight...because nothing says "emotionally charged response driven only by a misguided pathos focused argument" like a fact grounded in the hard science of mathematics and a basic lesson taught in every Writing or Film 101 class. Whew, you really got me there. If you hadn't caught me I'd be foaming at the mouth.

@jphussey: The 41 hours thing is a rough calculation of how much time one could theoretically tack onto the game by adding on an additional, unavoidable two seconds to each and every standard attack animation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:06:18 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »

ahh the good ol  nonsensical fanboy/fangirl defense.

Or some people really are not bothered by the abstraction commonly used in games. Given the type of project this is it'd seem odd to make a significant visual change like that anyway.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »

ZeronHitaro's ridiculous estimate aside (75,000 actions?  Really?), the abstract attack animations have really never bothered me.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »

ZeronHitaro's ridiculous estimate aside (75,000 actions?  Really?), the abstract attack animations have really never bothered me.

Is it that ridiculous? Let's look at one of the starting areas alone. The Kaipo region. From the walk from the western mountains, to a bit of brief exploration (In order to level up Rydia), to the cave needed to advance the plot I encountered roughly 15 battles (maybe a bit more or less, 15 seems like a good estimate).

Each battle in that region had about 3-4 enemies. For the sake of simplicity I'll just assume a 3 base for each battle. 15 battles x 3 enemies per gives us about 45 enemies total.

Between Cecil and Rydia it only took one attack from each to kill an enemy, not counting all the random variables such as "misses" or damage that was too low for a standard kill or high enough to kill in one hit. 45 enemies x 2 hits per = 90 standard attack actions in one little section.

Keep in mind, this is one of the smaller regions in the game. The longer you play the bigger the dungeons get, the more battles you fight and the more standard attacks it takes to kill a foe. I would bet good money that by the time you have reached game end the total number of standard attack actions is in the tens of thousands range. I will admit that 75K is a bit high but my point still stands. Adding on 2 seconds to an attack animation would accumulate into a respectable number by game's end.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

Most RPGs have a number of battles in the hundreds and ~10 or fewer actions per battle.  That puts you in the thousands, not tens of thousands.  Going by your own estimate of 90 actions in 'one little section', is that section less than 1% of the game?  I don't think so.  So that still puts you in the thousands.

Face it, you were off by an order of magnitude.  A little common sense would have confirmed that too, since you were estimating ~40 hours watching attack animations.  Most JRPGs are only ~40 hours long in the first place, so either FFIV is an exceptionally long JRPG (it isn't) or there was something off about your numbers...

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »

I'll admit my magnitude was off quite a bit for the total attack actions but you're misinterpreting what the ~40 hours was signifying. I'm saying "if" attack animations were extended with those numbers that "then" such an additional length in hours occurs. Not that the game "was/is" that long in current form. Thus why I'm saying it's only a base theory, and still a valid one. I'll give everything the benefit of the doubt and reduce the calculation down to 10% of it's original value (Making it 7,500 attacks in the entirety of the game). That still generates an additional 4+ hours of gameplay padding doing nothing but watching attack animation; which is, IMO, about as ridiculous as 40+ simply because it adds nothing of any value to any game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:18:41 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2011, 02:30:09 AM »

I have been wanting to pick up this game along with a PSP although I am having second thoughts with all the Playstation network problems that recently occured.  I am not sure I trust Sony's security, especially since I was hoping to purchase more PS1 games from them off their network.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2011, 02:33:12 AM »

I have been wanting to pick up this game along with a PSP although I am having second thoughts with all the Playstation network problems that recently occured.  I am not sure I trust Sony's security, especially since I was hoping to purchase more PS1 games from them off their network.

There's cards you can buy, even codes from Amazon if you want stuff ASAP, though that doesn't really help with what was confirmed to have been stolen. Then again I guess you can get away with bogus data if you're not actually using a Credit Card.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »

There's cards you can buy, even codes from Amazon if you want stuff ASAP, though that doesn't really help with what was confirmed to have been stolen. Then again I guess you can get away with bogus data if you're not actually using a Credit Card.

That's a great point!  I will have to look into that.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »

I'm about five hours in so far and am very much enjoying it. My only previous experience with FFIV was the DS re-release which I didn't like all that much--not really sure why.

Anyone have an estimate on the games total length (excluding Interlude and After Years)? I feel like it's movin pretty quick!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:08:35 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »

I think a little less than 20 hours, depending upon how much grinding you need to do end-game.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

Yeah, my friend did it in a little over 25 he said.

Everything's Eventual
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

25 is right on the money
Wendriel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »

I've just cleared the base game in about 12 hours, thanks to Auto-Battle speeding up everything but boss fights.  That was including some grinding before the end boss- got to the last dungeon around 10-11 hours in.  I actually like this version of the game quite a bit- the DS one was good too, but I didn't care for the Augments or the 3-D graphical style, although the difficulty level and voice acting were nice additions to that one.  Very much looking forward to the After Years- never got around to getting that on the Wii. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: