Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338025 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV Complete Collection for PSP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: FFIV Complete Collection for PSP  (Read 15117 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2011, 02:56:46 AM »

your talking to someone who eats up strategy rpg's. sprites arent the problem honey. the problem is they STILL have this attacking at air with damage numbers appearing over the enemy. is it to much to ask to at least have the characters jump next to the enemy before attacking?

Didn't you slam FEDS2 for having terrible graphics, and not in the "This is a fine but unfortunately ugly game." sense but in the "This is an awful game because it's ugly.".

Frankly though, can we all agree that at least we're getting to see both combatant groups duke it out at the same time instead of maybe a portrait in the UI if we're lucky.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »

review:
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/1575.html
Just one thing.
It made no sense for people to be at level 30 from level 65 once you had beaten it, Cecil to have lost a Crystal Sword, and Rydia to have forgotten Meteor.
Is it possible that it was similar to P3fes?
I got up to about level 99, beat it, started Answer, and I was around level 20, maybe 30 because a lack of things to beat up.
It took place a month after P3, so does interlude do something like that?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
suikoman444

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »

Yeah, I'd say it's fairly similar to P3FES in that regard.

Games In Progress:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Legend of Legaia
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »

Is that in reference to the interlude, or the After Years? Because while it's hard to defend for the interlude (I'd assume) TAY DOES take place something like 15-20 years after the original game so, yeah, they're going to not be as strong as they were or even forget some abilities.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »

It's insanely hard for me to justify this game/package:

1) Final Fantasy IV isn't my favorite title, I admit
2) I loved the DS remake, and it's hard to imagine this topping it, especially hearing that it tossed the voice acting, which I think was the best addition in the DS version
3) I thought TAY was absolute crap, no, I didn't finish it, but I was severely dissapointed in how utterly cash-grabby and useless it was

I hate how every version of the game that comes out is the "definitive version". No, it's a DIFFERENT version. Personally, I thought FFIV works great with chibbi 3D sprites, that made sense to me. The game is total kitch. I'm just really confused with the direction this took. FFIVDS got great reviews (better than this one), sold like hot cakes, and won a lot of skeptics over. Turning around and saying, "wait, we're sorry, we'll go back to 2D and just up the resolution," just feels like a slap in the face. I mean, what's the point? At this point, we're buying these remakes to see re-imaginings, not to have the definitive experience... the definitive experience is on the SNES, maybe the GBA version (since it's pretty much identical).

Get on with making a FFVI 3D remake. FF6 always struck me as a 3D game stuck in a 2D era. FFIV is just really hard to grasp in this day in age. My thought is that FF6 is just so much larger and more complex is that they're avoiding it because of production costs. But it really seems silly when you get TWO FFIV remakes and not a single FFVI one. Maybe that's what pisses me off so much about this.

Well, at least I'll save $30.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »

FF6 on 3DS, that would light a fire under me to get a 3DS asap.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »

2) I loved the DS remake, and it's hard to imagine this topping it, especially hearing that it tossed the voice acting, which I think was the best addition in the DS version
3) I thought TAY was absolute crap, no, I didn't finish it, but I was severely dissapointed in how utterly cash-grabby and useless it was

I hate how every version of the game that comes out is the "definitive version". No, it's a DIFFERENT version. Personally, I thought FFIV works great with chibbi 3D sprites, that made sense to me. The game is total kitch. I'm just really confused with the direction this took. FFIVDS got great reviews (better than this one), sold like hot cakes, and won a lot of skeptics over. Turning around and saying, "wait, we're sorry, we'll go back to 2D and just up the resolution," just feels like a slap in the face. I mean, what's the point? At this point, we're buying these remakes to see re-imaginings, not to have the definitive experience... the definitive experience is on the SNES, maybe the GBA version (since it's pretty much identical).

Get on with making a FFVI 3D remake. FF6 always struck me as a 3D game stuck in a 2D era. FFIV is just really hard to grasp in this day in age. My thought is that FF6 is just so much larger and more complex is that they're avoiding it because of production costs. But it really seems silly when you get TWO FFIV remakes and not a single FFVI one. Maybe that's what pisses me off so much about this.

Agree with point #2. As of today, FFIVDS is the best version. TAY feels more than just a cash grab with this version, however.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »

TAY feels more than just a cash grab with this version, however.

It may feel like it, but really... it's a graphically hanced port of a game that really was a cash grab. By definition, it's a cash grab of a cash grab. But having not played the new one, I can't really comment as to how it actually feels, so you're probably right.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

i wish they put as much effort into melee attacks as they did into magic effects :(

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »

I have to disagree with you on a couple of points.  Personally, I didn't like the chibbi 3D sprite style.  While it was wonderful to have FF4 in 3D, I would have liked it to be more along the realism lines that FF8 provided.  With the FF4 Collections, I felt it was a great tribute to the SNES with updated sharper graphics.  I am bias though since I like old school games. I haven't played the Interlude or TAY so I can't really comment on those.

I am definitely with you though on a FF6 3D remake.  To make it something like FF8 or FF13 in terms of graphics would be amazing.  If not, I still would love to see a FF6 Collections that followed the same pattern as the PSP release of FF4. 
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:12 AM »

TAY feels more than just a cash grab with this version, however.

It may feel like it, but really... it's a graphically hanced port of a game that really was a cash grab. By definition, it's a cash grab of a cash grab. But having not played the new one, I can't really comment as to how it actually feels, so you're probably right.

By that standard isn't FFIV itself a cash grab? After all anything past the original Final Fantasy pretty much just utilized the title merely to leech off the success of the original since story-wise there's nothing connecting any of the games in the whole franchise until FFX-2 came along. Sure FFIV's a good game with decent story and gameplay but I'd argue it's not any more or less of a cash grab in origin than TAY.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »

Well, after much debate I finally broke down and bought a PSP so I can play Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collection.  Its bringing back a lot of great memories that I enjoyed about the original.  Definitely a great game. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: