Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327435 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Western RPG With Engaging Storyline?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Western RPG With Engaging Storyline?  (Read 2113 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:45:30 PM »

Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines... good one.  Definitely one I wanted to play but never got to.  The screens I've seen displayed excellent writing.

I approve of this nonsense!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »

Ultima 7 is a great one also, 8 and 9 are shite though.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »

Ultima 7, Planescape: Torment... VtM: B didn't so much have an engaging *overall* storyline but more like really brilliant events and characters. Also the game sort of plays up its camp and is better for it. Fun as hell too but get a fan patch.

Deus Ex... you know, it's an excellent game, but the story is probably my least favorite part of it. Well, that and liberty fucking island. DX's story is just like HEY LET'S GLORP TOGETHER EVERY CONSPIRACY THEORY EVER. Actually, honestly, part of the reason I don't love the story is more...

Well basically the conspiracy theory stuff was a lot more entertaining before the Tea Party movement. Now it just creeps me the fuck out/makes me sort of queasy.

Albion also has a really good story though I don't find it particularly fun to play.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 04:12:28 AM »

Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines... good one.  Definitely one I wanted to play but never got to.  The screens I've seen displayed excellent writing.

Oh yeah, how did I forget that one. Bloodlines is awesome. The combat system is not that good but the roleplaying aspect is so solid that people are still playing it and making mods for it.

Not quite sure what the Tea Party movement has to do with Deus Ex......no movement of mass stupidity in Deus Ex that I remember.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:14:07 AM by bigdeath » Logged
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 04:17:03 AM »

To each their own, I personally feel Fallout 3 lacks almost any story at all. The game can be fun in short bursts but mostly bores me over time.

You know, I never got it when you (or someone else) said that. Lacking a good story? Ok. Lacking story period? No, this is not something that's subjective, it is objective, and Fallout 3 has more than enough of what's needed to tell a story, as well as several side stories to find out there. Maybe it doesn't have as much happening as you like, and I certainly don't think it's a GOOD story even by general video game standards, but to say there's next to nothing is outright wrong.

I think I hit a pet peeve. I may have been exaggerating. Theres a story in Fallout 3, its just barely developed and can easily be ignored. I prefer games where the story is much more a central focus of the game. Like Dragon Age (which I LOVE if you couldn't tell :P )
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:19:14 AM by bigdeath » Logged
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »

I liked Red Dead Redemption because it had RPG elements and a good story that wasn't really original but managed to make you care about (or despise) the characters.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »

Summoner 1.....oh man good times.  Looking back at it now is kinda of a mess but the soundtrack is still amazing!  The story is not that bad either.  I own 2 but gave up on it half-way.  I may have to give it a try again soon.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: