Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340917 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  My god what a dickhead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My god what a dickhead  (Read 1237 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNJ3MZ-AUo&feature=youtu.be

The guy interviewing him is a dickhead!  Rock on for standing up to him.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »

Hmmm...I feel like the guy isn't being a dickhead so much as it's the job that kind of makes him ask those real asshole questions.  That said, I really hate watching the news sometimes precisely for this reason.  Or really most interview type shows.  I would have been perfectly content listening to McIntyre give a statement on his own (and even through all that stuff he gave a damn good statement) and I think that's enough.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:55:42 PM by Azrael » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »

This interviewer would fit in nicely on Fox News
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »

The BBC have made their position on the whole issue of protests over the student tuition fees quite clear.

Their deliberate over exaggeration of the attack on Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall while completely ignoring the fact hundreds of protesters were being kettled for most of the night on a bridge was rather annoying.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

First thought: Hey someone made a thread about me.

Second thought: That guy's head is literally phallic. The interviewer's, I mean. It's like, substantially longer th... yeah you know, ending this here.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »

From reading a few comments on youtube and etc, it seems like BBC is like a British equivalent Fox News.
damn

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »

BBC is a far sight better than most American news outlets, with the exception of its coverage of the UK. I took part in a study once where I had to rate a variety of news sources based on a number of factors, and one thing that consistently came through was that, with almost no exceptions, major news reporting sources are incredibly biased when it comes to their own country.

Ironically, Xinhua is actually pretty good at reporting anything that isn't directly related to China or its interests pretty fairly. And if you get your news from one source, it should probably be the Christian Science Monitor. Yeah, you heard me. Their reporting is ridiculously even-handed, which makes me wonder what they have to do with Christian Science at all.

Big losers were NYTimes and the Guardian, actually. They are incredibly biased in their news reporting.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »

I heard that about the Christian Science Monitor as well.

I check it every now and then.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:17 AM »

Hmmm...I feel like the guy isn't being a dickhead so much as it's the job that kind of makes him ask those real asshole questions.

Yeah, agreed. Just feels like he was pursuing a line of questioning he was encouraged to pursue, he didn't get emotional or anything. I didn't really feel like any of the questions he was asking were invalid. He was asking the guy if he had done any violent action himself to provoke the attack on him (Cerebral Palsy was irrelevant in these questions since it can vary in in severity). Why didn't McIntyre just say a simple "no"?

If anything, it's McIntyre himself that was trying to get people emotional by not just giving a really simple response to the question. On the one hand, he claims he may appear as he is physically frail compared to other and rejects that, but on the other hand, he pushes the point that a person with Cerebral Palsy poses no threat to the police. So which is it? I mean, I get that the guy is probably pissed he got dragged across the street, but I don't see where the interviewer in this specific situation did anything wrong, to the point he starts complaining about the BBC in general and whatnot.
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »

Interviewer: "Where you throwing anything at all at the police?"

Wow. Is this guy blind, deaf, and stupid? The man has palsy for pete's sake. Does it look like he'd be capable of throwing much of anything to great effect that would be harmful? He can't even operate his own wheel chair. I had to stop the video after that cause I was getting so annoyed with this interviewer's incredibly idiotic questions. He provoked the poor man at every opportunity for no reason. I'm just disgusted with such things that it makes me want to give up on people.

@Hathen: Sure it varies in severity, but by the look of McIntyre and the answer "I can't even operate my own wheel chair" you'd think the guy can take a hint that it's at least somewhat sever. I agree that it may be partly the networks fault in the kind of question they screen for him to ask, but come on, have some integrity. Also can you blame the guy for being emotional? Can you honestly say that you would give "simple answers" to such questions if you were in his shoes? I can admit myself that if I were in McIntyre's shoes I probably wouldn't have agreed to give the interview in the first place. I won't say it's his fault because he saw it as an opportunity to voice his message and speak about the corruption instead of addressing the issue the interviewer was getting at with the specific incident. It's just not fair to say that he didn't have cause to be emotional over such blatant disregard to his condition.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

He provoked the poor man at every opportunity for no reason.

How? This is where I'm getting confused. He was asking him questions, the same ones that would be asked had he not had cerebral palsy. When are people supposed to know when they should treat someone with a disability like everyone else and when they are not if the subject has nothing directly to do with his disability? An interview is an intellectual fight. This man is clearly very intelligent despite his difficulties in speaking. Thus, I feel none of the questions were at all unfair. If he was asked, "Did you throw any missles at the police?", and he responded with a simple, "No." That would've been that. He didn't throw anything, and the treatment was completely unjustified (Not saying it was justified even with the throwing, though).

Here's the BBC's response to the interview, even.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2010/12/interview_with_jody_mcintyre.html

The police were being hit with bricks, paint bombs, fence panels, etc. McIntyre believes himself to be a revolutionary. Knowing these things, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be questioning the motives of McIntyre either. After all, as I said, intellectually, he is very much equal to anyone.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »

While I do agree that there are times to "treat someone with a disability like everyone else", you also have to ask yourself whether this man would have been interviewed on television if he didn't have cerebral palsy?

I'm on the fence. Like Starmongoose, I comprehend that the BBC has made its views on the protests very clear-- nothing particularly productive has come of this interview. How the police deal with disabled protesters, yes, that is a very important issue. But the publicity received was surely enough to raise the issue. This interview was just run-of-the-mill, something they had to do once people saw what happened to McIntyre. He seemed smart, I'm sure he'll get over any offense caused.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:28:28 AM by CastNuri » Logged

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »

The reason they had an interview in the first place was to clarify the happenings between him and the police. All the interviewer did was ask basic questions (if unreasonable) to extract simple statements from the alleged victim.

But some questions were unnecessarily repeated, and others were quite absurd. Poor interview overall.

btw, I like how Jody mentions BBC's coverage of the Palestinian struggle. Kinda off topic, but true.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:05:44 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: