Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  In the spirit of the best of 2010, what are some of your favorite albums of 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: In the spirit of the best of 2010, what are some of your favorite albums of 2010  (Read 5546 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

Some of my favorite albums released in 2010 are (in ABC order):  

Abnormality- The Collective Calm in Mortal Oblivion (EP)- female-fronted death metal.  Their song "Visions" is on Rock Band 2.  I think Mallika is the best female death growler on the scene now.  One of the coolest people I've ever met too.  

Abserdo- Raising a Pervert (Crossover thrash from a precocious young band.  The guys are in the 18-20 age range and sound more refined and mature than their years.  Really a band to keep an eye on.

Gholas- 3агадка- Really good doom, sludge metal.  

Raymond Strife & Swisschz- Self-Loathing Egomaniac- It's been a long time since a hip-hop album really made me groove heavily, and this one did.  "Spawn #1" from it is my favorite hip-hop song of 2010.  And Ray's a really cool guy.  

The jury's still out on #5, but two albums I really want to listen to are "Full of Hell" by Howl (doom stoner metal) and "Scenes From Hell" by Sigh (a unique Japanese metal band), both of which are said to be fantastic. UPDATE: The Sigh album is incredible; one of the most unique records I've heard in a long time.  Definitely one of 2010's best metal releases in my mind at least.

So what are some of your favorite albums of 2010?  And tell us a little about them, if you will.  Good music is always welcome here.  
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:56:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »

Iron Maiden: The Final Frontier and Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards by Joe Satriani. I still enjoy this albums, specially the one from Satriani.

...and that's all really.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Black Label Society - Order of The Black
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire

That's all I can think of right now..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »

1. Agalloch "Marrow Of The Spirit"
2. King Of Asgard "Fi'mbulvintr"
3. GWAR "Bloody Pit Of Horror"
4. Finnr's Cane "Wanderlust"
5. Sig:Ar:Tyr "Godsaga"
6. Nechochwen "Azimuths To The Other World"
7. Fejd "Eifur"
8. Negura Bunget "Virstele Pamintului"
9. Aiumeen Basoa "Iraganeko Bide Malkartsutik"
10. Diamond Eyed Princess "Korgurlaal"
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »

Honestly, there weren't a whole lot of albums released this year that I felt compelled to buy, and only a few of those are ones I would put in a list of favorites.  In fact, I can only think of two:  Maiden's "The Final Frontier" and "Doomsday King" by The Crown.

I bought a lot of music this year too, but I mainly plugged up some holes that had been in my collection for a while.

Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »

I dunno how much I could realistically rank the stuff I've liked, so I'm going to just list everything from this year I enjoyed since it's not an enormous amount of releases anyways.

Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
Age of Taurus - In The Days Of The Taurean Empire
Atlantean Kodex - The Golden Bough
Briton Rites - For Mircalla
Demontage - The Principal Extinction
Jon Lajoie - I Kill People (this counts, right?)
Pallbearer - 2010 Demo
Sigh - Scenes From Hell
Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits
The Wizar'd - Pathways Into Darkness
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Wheel - Wheel

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »

I'm never one for newer music. Therefore, I have only thus far listened to three 2010 albums.

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (It's Maiden. Of course it's a good album.)
Slash - His self-titled solo album (It was alright. Songs I liked. Songs I didn't like. I think he was trying to attract all audiences with this one.)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace Live (Fantastic. RIP is a legendary album, and Live is only amazing because I've actually heard the whole album live.)

There are a few others I need to get around to listening to, but that's all so far.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »

Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

I'm an indie alt-rock whore. NPR defines my taste in music. Forgive me. :)

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

Glad to see the love for Agalloch, that album was great.
Howl was pretty good, doesn't really push the stoner envelope but it's a fine album.

Toro y Moi - Causers of This (Can't remember the last time I was this consistently addicted to an album. Hazy lo-fi synth pop stuff... this shit fucking hypnotizes me.)
Celeste - Morte(s) Nee(s) (Epic French sludgy screamo band, really solid album.)
Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here? (One of the more interesting experimental electronic/ambient albums I've heard in a while. I don't see myself tiring of hearing this any time soon)
Loscil - Endless Falls (Yet another terrific ambient album from Loscil. This may very well be his best yet)
Jack Rose - Luck in the Valley (RIP. As always, beautiful acoustic picking)
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (I didn't like the whole album, but some songs - i.e. "Rhinestone Eyes," "On Melancholy Hill," "Plastic Beach" - were almost certainly my most-listened-to of '10)
The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt (Crazy incredible rambunctious folksinger. This guy shouts and hollers and beats the shit out of his guitar. The lyrics are incredible all the way through. Certainly the best folk album I've heard in several years)
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli (I've been digging a lot of obnoxious trap-hop recently, and this dude totally embodies that. Sure he's not the best lyrically but his style is undeniable, he's got great presence and the beats are solid all the way through. Heavy, scary rap)
Young Jeezy - Trap or Die 2 (Mixtape of '10 for me. I feel like ppl forget about this 'cuz it came out earlier in the year but if it's any indication of his next album then it will be spectacular)
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (I'm really not always fond of Kanye as a rapper, but he's always had some nice songs, and has improved a lot on this album, and from a production standpoint this is certainly his best work yet)
Big Boi - Sir Lucius Left Foot (Probably the most listened to hip hop album of '10 for me. This was blasted all summer. Every single song is incredible, even the skits are funny)

I might be missing a few, I gues, but those came to mind pretty quickly. I listened to a lot less music than I usually do this year, busy n stuff.
Looking forward to listening to some of yours, this site has some ppl with good taste esp. in metal which I didn't listen to a whole lot of this year.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

I havn't actually listened to a hell of a lot of new music this year. My tastes are so peculiar and eclectic I rarely find more than a few good artists a year.

Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
Fascinating Aida - Silver Jubilee
Zoe Keating - Into The Trees
Evelyn Evelyn (Amanda Palmer & Jason Webley) - Evelyn Evelyn
Queen of Denmark - John Grant
Dogmatic Infidel Comedown OK - IAMX

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:52 AM »

Abnormality- The Collective Calm in Mortal Oblivion (EP)- female-fronted death metal.  Their song "Visions" is on Rock Band 2.  I think Mallika is the best female death growler on the scene now.  One of the coolest people I've ever met too.  

Wow consider me impressed. This is really good.
It takes a certain unidentifiable something to get me into a death metal band since I'm not all that fond of the genre. These guys (and girl(s)) have some form of... that.
"Zealotry" in particular kinda rocked my face into oblivion. Really fuckin awesome EP. I Support This Band.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

Glad you like them.  They're really good live, too.  Mallika's not at all shy about leaping off stage, stirring up moshpits, shoving guys 3-4 times her size around...

So far, everyone I've played Abnormality for has dug them. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 11:59:43 AM »

Flying Lotus "Cosmogramma"
Kimonos "Kimonos"
Tokyo Jihen "Sports"
Shiina Ringo "Sanmon Gossip"
Kayo Dot "Stained Glass"
Kayo Dot "Coyote"
Go!Go!7188 "Go!!GO!GO!Go!!"
Flip "Mulu Mole"

"Oh, a hunter..."
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »

So far, everyone I've played Abnormality for has dug them. 
I just listened to a "song" called Visions on Youtube. IMHO, it was absolutely atrocious. How anyone can listen to this garbage is beyond me.

I will readily admit that I am a bit of an asshole when it comes to musical tastes. I don't fall into that whole "everyone has different tastes" nonsense. There's a small amount of good music out there that takes a bit of effort to find. There's a small amount of godawful crap that is hard to avoid. And then there's a whole lot of mediocrity shoved in our faces(ears?) every day from every angle trying to convince us it's really better than it is.

I can only think of a couple albums I bought in 2010:
How To Train Your Dragon soundtrack, which is wonderful.
Mass Effect 2 soundtrack, which is good, but not as effectual as the first
I just bought the Tron Legacy soundtrack, and I quite dig it.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »

GrimReality's taste in music is not exactly inspiring me to agree with his opinion. :P

EDIT: Except his opinion that that song is horrendous. I can agree with that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:14:41 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: