Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327182 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  In the spirit of the best of 2010, what are some of your favorite albums of 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: In the spirit of the best of 2010, what are some of your favorite albums of 2010  (Read 5644 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

GrimReality's taste in music is not exactly inspiring me to agree with his opinion. :P

EDIT: Except his opinion that that song is horrendous. I can agree with that.

Have you seen How To Train Your Dragon? Great movie. I call the overall soundtrack great, but on the whole it's just like any other album from any artist. A few great songs, and a lot of filler. "Flight" is downright magical.
Or were you just messing with me?

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

If I don't like an entire album by an artist, I don't consider them a good artist. I'm very strict about it and expect a lot from musicians. So, filler is unacceptable to me and I don't believe it is true of all albums. I have seen the movie and the soundtrack was okay, yep.

I just wouldn't hold it up on a pedestal that it is the sort of thing all music should be judged by :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »

Well if you don't like metal (?) you will hate the shit out of Abnormality and i'm not sure why you bothered listening.

also i'm not a huge crystal castles fan but the thing they did with robert smith earlier this year was awesome
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »

I bothered listening because I am not against Metal as a genre, that would be ridiculous. I don't like metal because i've never heard a song I like.

So, if I stop listening to songs ive never heard, I will never be able to be surprised and have my boundaries expanded. Don't take me not liking that song as a personal attack on your music taste.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

Nah... I didn't take it as that... if anything i commend your policy against genre exclusion.
Just sayin though, the song was described as death metal so if people don't like harsh music it's not like "maybe this death metal band will  be much nicer." lol
Anway, for all I know GR is a metal guru who is looking down his nose at Abnormality for not being technical enough or something.

As for soundtracks... Air Doll OST by World's End Girlfriend!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »

If I don't like an entire album by an artist, I don't consider them a good artist. I'm very strict about it and expect a lot from musicians. So, filler is unacceptable to me and I don't believe it is true of all albums. I have seen the movie and the soundtrack was okay, yep.

I just wouldn't hold it up on a pedestal that it is the sort of thing all music should be judged by :P
I completely agree! I rarely, if ever, say that I like any particular artist or album. I like songs, not albums. I can't think of a single album that I liked in it's entirety. This is why I will say I like One or Where the Streets Have No Name by U2, but not U2 as a whole. They have a lot of crap songs, too.
I give movie soundtracks a bit more leeway. If it worked for me while watching the movie, and made me notice enough to actually BUY it, then it must be good. You also have to consider that, unlike normal music, soundtracks are not written to be listened to outside of the movie.  They can't be judged the same way.

Well if you don't like metal (?) you will hate the shit out of Abnormality and i'm not sure why you bothered listening.

also i'm not a huge crystal castles fan but the thing they did with robert smith earlier this year was awesome
You see, here's where the real asshole part of me shows up. Doesn't music sound the same to all of us? How can one person find something appealing that another does not? Do you not realize how stupid and ridiculous the growling sounds? Even the music itself wasn't very good.
I KNOW it's insane to argue musical tastes, and I really don't want to. I just don't get people liking certain types of music.

An example outside of music: I think(know) that mustard is disgusting. It looks gross and tastes awful. I have zero clue how anyone could possibly like it. If you like mustard, you are wrong.

I wonder sometimes if people are hearing or tasting the same things as me.

Playing:
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »

Grim- you actually liked the Abnormality song "Hatred Relentless" I once posted either here or on FB, except for the vocals.  In which case, a band like Blotted Science does instrumental technical death metal.  No cookie monster death-growling.  That kind of vocal style was definitely an acquired taste for me. 

"Visions" was on their first demo when they were still discovering themselves and fell into the trap of overdoing the wacky complicated riffing.  Their newer/current stuff is a lot more focused. 

I approve of this nonsense!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

Grim- you actually liked the Abnormality song "Hatred Relentless" I once posted either here or on FB, except for the vocals.  In which case, a band like Blotted Science does instrumental technical death metal.  No cookie monster death-growling.  That kind of vocal style was definitely an acquired taste for me. 

"Visions" was on their first demo when they were still discovering themselves and fell into the trap of overdoing the wacky complicated riffing.  Their newer/current stuff is a lot more focused. 
Yeah, I thought I had heard some other stuff before. And, yes, I do recall liking the music itself. I don't recall if I listened to that band you recommended, though. I'll have to do that.
Just proves that it makes more sense to like songs individually over a blanket "liking" of the people who made them.

Playing:
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »

I like mustard.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

I like mustard.
So how does it feel to be wrong?

; - )

Playing:
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

Better than the feeling of being a pretentious twat.

;)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »

Better than the feeling of being a pretentious twat.

;)
lol. We have an understanding, I see.

Playing:
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »

One or Where the Streets Have No Name by U2, but not U2 as a whole. They have a lot of crap songs, too.

"Where the Streets Have No Name" is off the album Joshua Tree. Joshua Tree does not have a bad song on, it's sheer brilliance. It's one of those albums where every song was a hit, but for good reason, and I believe it deserves the attention it gets. "One" on the other hand, is off "Acktung Baby", which I find myself mostly bored by. In fact, I find "One" to be kind of annoying, personally. AB is hailed as one of their best, and I find entirely skipable, but that's just me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »

U2 is one of those bands I can't fucking stand. I think it's more Bono than anything else.

Anyway, picks for this year:

No Age - Everything in Between
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

The last song on that album kills me.
So so good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: