Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Western RPG With Engaging Storyline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Western RPG With Engaging Storyline?  (Read 2141 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »

I'm looking to see if anyone can name some Western RPGs with engaging storylines. I've not played that many in the genre, and out of those, Mass Effect, Planescape: Torment, and arguably Fallout 3 were the only ones I came across that had a story that held my attention and made me want to know more about it. I won't list the others, because if they're listed, that would give me a proper frame of reference, and perhaps entice me to give those games a second chance, or at least adjust my expectations.

List:

Anachronox(PC)
Dues Ex(PC)
Septerra Core(PC)
Summoner(PS2)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:20:07 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »

I know I'm going to be shot for this. Warning: I generally don't play WRPGs for the storyline. Most every WRPG's story has been done better by books multiple times over.  I play for the worlds, the lore, and the interaction.

My answer:
Summoner 1 (not really 2, but 2 is interesting because you are quite literally the villain from 1) on PS2 is perhaps the only WRPG that I've really, really loved the world.

The game itself a buggy mess, the graphics aren't amazing, and some might even call it a BG clone, but the lore itself is well developed and interesting. 
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

Anachronox.  I extol that game every chance I get.

Septerra Core has a great storyline too, provided you can get past the slow battle system and long dungeons.  It's very good, if you're patient. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »

Deus Ex 1.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »

Deus Ex - nothing as good as it yet (maybe Deus Ex 3 when it comes out)
Septerra Core
Dragon Age (more lore based than character based but its some very extensive and impressive lore)
Mass Effect (don't care for its poor shooting gameplay but its got extensive lore as well a more character focus if limited options)
Knight of Old Republic (it actually has a decent story)

Notice a trend, WRPG + a focus on story = Bioware games.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:44:00 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »

I thought Fallout 3 had an engaging storyline, but the game was so broken I never got to experience it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:20 PM »

Fallout 3's story was most interesting in its multiple sub plots in my opinion.  Going through areas to find out what happened to the inhabitants was what appealed to me most about the game.  It did this brilliantly.  It wasn't the writing itself, but that you were experiencing what happened during these people's last days. New Vegas only had one or two areas like this, which was a shame.

And I wouldn't consider Dragon Age to have a good story or even very interesting lore.  DA's lore is pretty much every high fantasy novel by an inexperienced author written in the last 30 years.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »

To each their own, I personally feel Fallout 3 lacks almost any story at all. The game can be fun in short bursts but mostly bores me over time.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »

The Witcher is a bit interesting, the story fluctuates a lot depending on your decisions and they are never black and white decisions.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 05:42:02 AM »

To each their own, I personally feel Fallout 3 lacks almost any story at all. The game can be fun in short bursts but mostly bores me over time.

You know, I never got it when you (or someone else) said that. Lacking a good story? Ok. Lacking story period? No, this is not something that's subjective, it is objective, and Fallout 3 has more than enough of what's needed to tell a story, as well as several side stories to find out there. Maybe it doesn't have as much happening as you like, and I certainly don't think it's a GOOD story even by general video game standards, but to say there's next to nothing is outright wrong.

Anyways, while story's a factor for WRPGs I suspect I don't view it as a factor in a way most people would think, and certainly not in a way a book can address. I like the idea of taking on sidequests that have actual stories I play through, think of the average sidequest in a Bioware or Bethesda game in contrast to, say, an MMORPG-style "collect THIS many items" quest you'll find in games like NieR, Ys Seven and... well, MMORPGs. It's less something I want to be great and more something to give purpose to the quests I'm doing and the objectives I'm completing, as long as it's not outright awful or stupid I'll probably be happy with it. When I want something that's REALLY engaging on a whole I'll either look to, yes, books, or at least a more specific game like Planescape Torment.
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »

I feel that a lot of WRPGs (like Fallout 3) confuse the terms "plot" and "story" (at least from a literary perspective). Fallout 3 had a plot, but a weak story. The BioWare games sound like they have both that are good.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »

I haven't played a ton of WRPGs, at least not a ton of modern ones.  But, I can offer up some perspectives a couple of them already mentioned:

- Deus Ex:  I really liked this one.  I bought it having no idea what it was. I thought it was just a sci-fi FPS, which it is, but was pleasently surprised to find there was a ton of RPG stuff goin' on in there.  It's still mosty FPS at it's core though.  The story is wonderfully cyberpunk =D

- The Witcher:  Haven't completed this one, but I dig it.  It sort of blurs the line between "monsters" and "humans".  And there's a couple "oohhhhhhh" moments in there when you figure it out =D
The world feels alive too and it geared for a more mature audience.
ALUCARDfromHELLSING

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »

I played very few western rpgs (sonce I don't really like 'em) and beat only Fallout 1 & 2. I can highly recommend these two, both are great games. Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines is very cool wrpg, sadly I never finished this one and I doubt that I ever will.

Septerra Core has a great storyline too, provided you can get past the slow battle system and long dungeons.  It's very good, if you're patient. 
I liked Septerra Core at first, but I got bored of it pretty fast.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

Baldur's Gate 2, especially since I note you have played Planescape, which used BG2's engine.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »

I felt like Fallout 3's story was pretty boring. The only thing I didn't like about the game but there are many saying the story in Fallout New Vegas to be much better. I can't say myself yet as I've just begun it.
There a game that it's not quite an RPG, but I think it's enough to be featured on this site which is Indigo Profecy also know as Fahrenheit.
It is western, the story is great, you have different endings, and it's done by Quantic Dream, the same developers of Heavy Rain. The gameplay is so addictive I beat it in a single day.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: