Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334669 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  DC Universe is neat.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: DC Universe is neat.  (Read 24944 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »

Entertaining to screw around with the beta.  That's about all I've got for now.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »

Good.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:16:41 AM »

Thanks man keep us updated.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »

I'm playing on the PS3 and it handles like your typical action game, gameplay-wise.  Mashing the square button will perform a standard combo attack whose length depends on the weapon class you've chosen.  I went with martial arts as my "weapon" class.  As you gain levels, you get to pick new ways to use your combos, such as pressing square to punch once and then immediately pressing and holding down square to do a knee to the enemy's face to knock them into the air for my character.  This opens up for some neat air combos and the like.  Triangle is for ranged attacks and has limited use from my experience so far.  Since I'm using martial arts, I throw shurikens at enemies.

The game's very glitchy, and has locked up my PS3 several times so far.  Also, the character customization is very lacking.  It's like your standard MMO with the variety of choices available, which makes it WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY behind City of Heroes/Villains in terms of options.  You can't even adjust proportion.  Maybe they think being able to equip armor that you find and have it appear on your character makes up for that, but it doesn't leave a positive impression for anyone who's played even a minute of CoH/V in terms of trying to stand out.  At least there are full RGB sliders.

It's a fun romp and I'm enjoying it, but I don't see this having lasting appeal in the long run.  Not for $15/month.  I think their steep monthly fee is going to make people compare it to other established games with a larger variety of content.  They'd be much better off charging $10/month or something.  Seriously.  If you can though, try to get into the beta.  It's worth checking out if only to scale Wayne Tower and look down upon Gotham City.

I haven't decided if I'm going to put money down on the retail version yet.  I'm leaning towards yes, if only to occupy myself until SWTOR hits.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »

Just downloaded the beta and finished patching this morning. Played about an hour and a half before my PS3 froze (lol). It's fun, but it's easy to get lost traveling around. As parn said, it's pretty basic stuff.The first area is a lie, btw, cuz as soon as you leave it, everything will kick your ass. That being said, the UI is a wee bit laggy, hope it clears up but won't be upset if it sticks as it's tolerable. Loading times are very decent, I was expecting huge waits between hub worlds but it's not bad at all. Now I like diablo clones, they're fun as all hell, but Idk if I wanna toss money per month at it, considering the vast number of em free to play on PC, but I only played for an hour, I may be a little underwhelmed atm. I think I'm gonna remake my character as a female dual wield flyer isn't my idea of cool, just wanted to mess with the interface and see some things. Gonna try to take some shots via PS3 and load em up here sunday.

TASTY!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »

I bought this because it is new.  I haven't even played it yet.

Anyone else?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

I picked it up for the PS3 yesterday and am enjoying it so far.  Just hit level 5.  I chose a villian. Acrobatic, tech, dual pistols, mentor: Joker.  Name is Starbuck.  My PSN id is Fraggle71 if you'd like to add me. Server 'Redemption'
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:16:44 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »

AgentD and I are on the Justice server.  My character is Hemlock, and his is... AgentD.  Been playing since launch day.  PS3 version.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »

I love this game. It's buggy, stupidly simple, button mashy grindy action. For a launch MMO, it's actually not that bad, some slightly odd glitches here and there, but far from unplayable. Every other mmo should take a que from this game, when it comes out, THERE NEEDS TO BE SOMETHING TO DO!  DC Universe has kept me busy since launch (yeah, 3 days I know, yada yada) and I'm dying to do much more on it. The main quests are nothing, they're just powering up the characters. It's all the other stuff I wanna do, like the huge alerts (freaking hard even when overleveled), the duos which I know nothing of yet, the big bosses like Les Luthor, Joker, and the rest of them, and when I say I can't wait to bring the fight to brainiac, I'm not lying. The game is worth trying, even at the 15 bucks a month subscription.

On a side note, I typed this while watching Black Swan....it's not really all that great, just artsy crap and a 28 year old virgin who gets off to Mila Kunis. Replace the ballet focus with video games and Natalie Portman with any game nerd and it's the same movie.

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »

http://apps.facebook.com/dcuolegends/

Free items if you're on Facebook.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »

Servers went down for some unknown reason.  In the meantime:

Don't have video capture for my PS3, so an iPhone pic will have to suffice.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »

Oh yeah, and my PSN is Meicyn.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »

Yeah, throw me an invite if you wanna throw down some clowns...or bots...or plant zombies, whatever. My psn is 1vDtnegA....err, AgentDv1

TASTY!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »

Do I have to play with console peasants if I try this game on my PC?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:08:42 AM »

Sadly (to an extent), there is no PC/Ps3 cross server options. The console gamers play console, the pc gamers hack/mob/bot/cheat all day amongst themselves. It's got its ups and downs, but meh, I'd like more cross server option now please.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: