Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:28:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  DC Universe is neat.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: DC Universe is neat.  (Read 25936 times)
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »

I have been giving it a try as well.  Im a little dissapointed in the only 6 powers thing, since none of them really strike my itch (save maybe gadgets).  I havn't tried sorcery or nature yet.  I like the vast amount of weapon choices..so far I like hand blasts the best.  Finding it hard to design a character though, plenty of options, I just suck at it I think.  I just dont wanna do the typical "Oh haey lets pick black and red and now were KEWL".  I want something kinda uniqueish, but lol ><.  Anywho, havn't done a ton with it yet, but its not bad.

Well you can theoretically get the "light" power via dlc or a legendary account.. and the developers already announced that they will implement lightning and earth powers into the game.

As for the appearance of your character... well you can collect all the different styles for the equipment and change your looks sorta "on the go" .... as well as the color palette .... as a matter of fact you will get  additional "unique" styles as you progress.

What strikes me as somewhat odd.. is the fact that the free to play system does not really limit the player all that much... you get to see almost all the content of the game... I am not really sure that SOE will get that much money out of this.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2011, 07:31:18 AM »

What strikes me as somewhat odd.. is the fact that the free to play system does not really limit the player all that much... you get to see almost all the content of the game... I am not really sure that SOE will get that much money out of this.

Areas might not be locked off, but functionality is. The free accounts can't sell stuff at the auction house, they cant trade items or cash with other players and have a fairly low maximum amount of cash they can carry with them ($1500). They have much fewer inventory and storage slots, they also only have two character slots and get vault passes at a much slower pace. There are a few more drawbacks, like the chat and voice comm restrictions, but that's not as hindering and not really worth getting into.
I'm fairly sure the reason for this was just as much to encourage players to drop some cash into the game, as it was to prevent free accounts being used for farming.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »

I admit that there are several limitations to the ftp account , however they don't really seem to be as influential as in other mmos that have gone free to play

e.g. :
limited inventory/ bank space: usually reason enough to make a player spend some cash in dcu however you won't find as much vendor trash ... the equipment styles are stored separately so you don't have to keep any item just for the looks... you have to put it on once and you can sell it afterwards which leads me to the second aspect...

1500 $ : as a ftp player you will hit the 1,5 k $ pretty quick but since every 100 achievement points you get an additional skill point for your weapons and movement skill trees it is fairly important to collect as many styles as possible as that will also grant you achievements/ deeds .. thus there are plenty of items you can spend your money on so that you will be constantly under the cash limit.. plus  i have yet to see a vendor selling something beyond 1,5 k $

Well i myself have already paid for a 60 days gametime card ..... I just think that soe allows a little too much for free... because even though they have already announced that dcu has reached the 1 000 000 players mark since it became free to play... but they have not said much about the income.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »

so does voice chat function properly on dc for ps3 yet? i haven't tried yet as other games have been claiming my free time lately.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »

Why is voice chat coming into question?  It worked great back when the game was new...

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »

I disagree. A LOT of people were having trouble as I recall and I was among them.  Numerous topics were to be found on various message boards.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

Ehh.  It was a clunky system, but it worked most of the time.  I mainly ran duos with my friend, and voice wasn't an issue.  System freezes, double bosses, and impossible-then-impeccable framerates were the issues we talked about... via voice chat.

Just saying, unless it got worse, it's fine.  Not sure when exactly you played in relation to me though.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »

The big problems were league chat and randomly not hearing one or two people. They fixed if a few times but i forget if it ever was fully fixed. I know i never had an issue with duos or alerts, and never made it to a raid. If a lot of you guys are playing i'll reinstall and try playing again.

TASTY!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »

Truth be told, MMO players are bad enough when they type. Giving them a voice just makes thing worse, so its a feature I would just as well turn off by default in public play anyway. It may make things a little easier in guilds, but I'm pretty sure 99% of players can just as easily fire up their PC and chat through Skype, Team Speak or some other program.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »

I just got into this last week; loved it enough to throw down $10 for Light powers and haven't regretted it. Free costume pieces every 3 days, fully customizable character...hits all my sweet spots. Well, sans the PvP server. This is the first MMO I've ever played where I think I'll stay on the PvE side of things. Douchebaggery in spaces on the part of the Heroes. At least it was good training for the arenas.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »

Lightning Powers hit yesterday. The physics are kinda wonky but if you specialize in the Amperage path you start with an ability that 'polarizes' your target. If they are near any liftable object (even the ones only liftable with Skill Points) it'll fly up into the air and come crashing hard into them. There's something enjoyable about zapping a foe and watching the nearest car come flying across the screen like a guided missile. XD
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:43 AM »

Recently started this again, surpringly fast patch considering I deleted it some 8 months ago. A lot has changed, but it still feels the same. Few new additions like fragment slot item things for bonus attributes. Level cap is still 30 so that's unchanged. WAYYYY more people playing now. All my money is in escarow, fuck you premium account. Overall, I doubt it's gonna be a permanent return. Just hanging around til I get enough money to replace my shitwreck pc for a proper gaming rig for SWtor.

TASTY!
Jetto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

DC is a fun game, and its gameplay is fast and exciting.

However it prolly still lacks content. I have no clue what endgame is like. I dont even think there is an endgame
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

There is; you just need to buy DLC or pay Legendary to get at it. A lot of the higher end dungeons are tied into the DLC packs that unlock the additional power sets.

I've been wanting to go back and try the newer Earth powers. But the damn program causes my computer to overheat and forcibly shut down these days. XP
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:59 AM »

In case anyone is curious I finally jury rigged a cooling system for the computer and have been putting Earth powers through their paces (level 28 in three days of casual; not bad really). I'd say they're worth the $10 because the powerset actually feels more like the traditional 'tank' than either Fire or Ice. I only have a single ability for proactive attacking, two abilities for pure damage mitigation (one for me, one for whoever's getting slammed the hardest), two abilities purely Golem related (kind of a mini pet; it doesn't do much besides act as extra HP for you), and the best special in the game by my personal taste. Basically it's a WoW Paladin bubble only it lasts about 5 seconds and does a fair chunk of healing. If your Golem's doing it's job (which it sometimes doesn't) then you don't have to worry about turning aggro loose on the unsuspecting party.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: