Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330137 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Contact
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Contact  (Read 6142 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »

This game seems awesome; like Earthbound on steroids or something.  I'm in.

EDIT:  Well, my copy's been preordered.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 12:15:38 PM »

Quote from: "Fallen"
Sep 19th, I believe.

I'm mildly looking forward to it, not because I'm only mildly interested in it, but because there are so many games coming out this fall.  Mainly though I'm interested in it because 1)It's for the DS and 2)It seems really original, something I think alot of RPGs are lacking sorely as of late.

Other than that I can't say much. =x

That pretty much sums up my feelings too. I prefer the typical, greek mythology-based RPGs that are now so commonplace, but the DS has a surprising lack of that. Contact does, however, sound like a cool and unique RPG experience, but there are finally quite a few more promising RPGs making their way to the DS. Those that promise more of what I look for in a game; I'm a creature of habit, what can I say.
thinkfreemind

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 12:10:57 AM »

I know Tomm Hulett would love for everyone to buy this game when it comes out. Personally.. In a month that has FFIII, FFXII, SMT: Devil Summoner, etc. releasing also, it is just too much. I am going to have some money this Friday to pre-order (pay for) many of these games, but if I run out of cash, Contact will be left on the shelf this year.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 12:17:32 AM »

FFIII won't come out until next month, unless you mean releases within a 30 day window, not just in October. Personally, I'd skip over III and maybe XII for Contact: They're FF titles, even if they're better, they're not going anywhere.
thinkfreemind

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
FFIII won't come out until next month, unless you mean releases within a 30 day window, not just in October. Personally, I'd skip over III and maybe XII for Contact: They're FF titles, even if they're better, they're not going anywhere.

I was talking about pre-ordering games from now till December (from VP:Silmeria to Yggdra Union, if that helps). I looked at the EBG website and Contact is coming in the middle of October. Trust me when I say that I know to pre-order Atlus [published also] games. I am a hardcore Atlus fan, but I am not always so rushed to buy everything they sell either.

For example: Rule of Rose (not an RPG) just came out last week, but I haven't bought it yet. My pals at EBG gave me the bonus disk for free, but I am just keeping a close eye on how long I can wait before they sell out. So far they still have three copies left, one of which will sit behind the counter for me for as long as I tell them to hold it for me (It is good to have pals).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 12:38:19 AM »

Heh, I can't blame you there. I'm skipping on Rule of Rose, and likely to for Metal Saga. But COntact and Devil Summoner are high priorities to me for Atlus titles.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 01:06:28 PM »

Yeah, I just did pre-ordered all of the Atlus games I plan on playing:  Touch Detectives, Contact, and Devil Summoner.  I skipped out on Rule of Rose because I heard if you miss an item you can't get future items and you bascially screw yourself over.  I don't like games where you have to play with a walkthough on hand.  Plus I heard there was a lot of backtracking involved and load times could get bad.  On the plus side, the story is suppossed to be top notch.  Had this game come out during the summer, I would have probably picked it up.  Unfortunately (perhaps  fortunately) there is a plethora of games coming out so this game takes a backseat for me.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »

...you know, I think Contact will be one of the few times I've played an RPG/adventure around the same time as a whole bunch of other people in the RPGfan populace.  Either I'm late to the party or at a whole 'nother party.

I think the last times I played an RPG around the same time as a whole bunch of RPGfanners was PSO and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 06:56:13 PM »

Looks like there was a last minute delay and now would be released sometime in mid-october. Right when I decided to go get it too. Total bummer.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »

Just a word of warning: I'm hearing that this game really isn't much like Earthbound at all, save for that they're both humorous RPGs and that the doctor looks like he was torn right out of EB. Just noting so that everyone expecting EB doesn't get disappointed when they actually play it. :P
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 09:27:37 PM »

Though it gave me some Earthbound feel, I was mainly just thought it would be a quirky and fun RPG so I wouldve have fun with it for the way it is anyhow.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »

Heh, it gets interesting when you think about that both Earthbound and Persona use modern settings and they're so different.  

I'm not expecting Earthbound at all.  Okay, if the humor is in the Earthbound style, great.  I liked Earthbound's style and humor but wasn't fond of the gameplay.  Seems to me Contact has dynamic and varied gameplay with the quirky humor of Earthbound.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 08:08:11 PM »

EGM's review went online today.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 12:03:37 AM »

A fair review, though not too surprised at the scores. I just tend to find how alot of these game sites and magazines give rough scores to RPG's unless it has the word Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts on it. That's just my perspective.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »

Game just got a weirdass last minute delay.

Lame.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: