Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340968 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Contact
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Contact  (Read 6358 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 04:39:27 PM »

It's only by two days, though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »

It's not like I'm calling to destroy whoever ships this out, but it's kinda sucky to have something like this at the last second. Unlike PSU's Beta though, this really won't be /shortening/ the gameplay time for the vast majority of us, so it won't matter when it's out.

A shipment on Thursday, however, is very unusual for a video game.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »

Yeah, but it seems to have been caused by a freak accident instead of foreseeable conditions, so it's not really like other delays.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Yeah, but it seems to have been caused by a freak accident instead of foreseeable conditions, so it's not really like other delays.

It's akin to, say, buying a gallon of milk only to smell it and find out it expired before you got it, so you gotta exchange it. Annoying, and it sucks, but sometimes shit happens. Geez, all I said was that it's 'lame'. :P
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 05:12:21 PM »

I know. :P

I was just saying that the delay was different from the norm.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »

Either way, it's 10/19 so I'll be getting my copy of Contact fairly soon.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

OMG DUBBEL POST!!!

Anyway, I just got my copy of Contact and here are my impressions after an hour or so of playing.  

This game is like a goulash.  The graphics are a mixture of 8-bit style with a more 32-bit 2D style with really nice prerendered backdrops.  The music thus far is also quite good, with a blend of old school MIDI and PCM and more new-school orchestration (like in the title theme.)  The game definitely has a quirky vibe, which is nice.  It really reminds me of Earthbound in that supreme silliness is handled with deadpan delivery.  

The only thing that took some getting used to was the battling.  When you press the attack button while Terry is in fighting stance, he doesn't attack when you press the button.  He auto-attacks in intervals.  It was tough to get used to at first, but I'm used to it now.  Fighting with techniques is much easier than melee fighting.  

So, yeah, the fighting may definitely be a turnoff for some.  And since the game's barely begun, I've yet to get to the real meat of the plot.    

The battle engine is the weakest part of the game, but despite that, I still want to keep playing.  The game is fun.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »

Fry's has it on sale for $25 (or 30 if I'm unlucky), so I'm going to trade in some stuff towards FFXII that I won't play anymore no matter what, then pick it up tomorrow.

Edit: Or maybe not. I called 3 different Fry's, and they all had it out of stock. WTF.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »

the gamestop I got it from only got a shipment of 3 copies...all preorder.  (Sorry if my grammar sucks.  I'm pretty drunk right now)

edit" I preordered touch detective while I was there.... methinkx that'll be a short chipment too.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2006, 02:09:41 AM »

Got the game today and I am liking it so far. Deafnitely quirky in it's own unique way. I personally got the battle mechanics right off the bat for the most part, figuring out what does what, though occasionally I forget to set Terry in engage mode and get my ass kicked for a bit :P Only got up to that island witht he ruins so not much else to say.

The wi-fi part seems poretty need from what I read in the manual though there is not much I really know so for those who do have the game and like to make contact with me, here is my friend key/code (if any of you care) :p

2234-1992-0711

I'll add anyone who wants to share theirs :)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »

I'd love to TBD, but I'm having issues with the Nintendo USB thingy.  I bought my DS used w/o a manual or anything, so I have no clue how to set up the wifi stuff.  WEP, SSID, all that is heiroglyphics to me.  There's a MAC address in the system info but no Connection ID.  

Hopefully I'll get all that stuff figured out so I can do wifi stuff with Contact.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2006, 03:54:12 PM »

Understandable. I basically got a linksys router (thanks to Shooichi :) ) so I basically set that up and registered my wi-fi with that connection and thats it. Didn't really tweak with the other options or anything since they are heiroglyphics to me :p

Good luck with you than :)

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »

Ok, Fry's had it. They probably just didn't unpack it until today or something. Anyways, just started, and so far I like the presentation - F keys for the title menu, and an LJ styled manual. Nice.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 12:58:51 PM »

Okay people, what's the verdict?  I was thinking of picking this one up tomorrow but I need to know opinions.  Thanks in advance.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 12:11:44 AM »

I'm enjoying it. It's quirky and fun (with loads of video game references), but battles can definitely be challenging. Boss battles are tough and enemies you run from can follow you into the next screen.

The 2nd boss is still kicking my ass because he and the 1st boss both had unavoidable area attacks.  You need to level grind big time in the game just to survive major battles.  

I like that if an NPC blocks the doorway, you can push them out of the way.

Contact is a good game, if frustrating in spots, but I would not call it a must have.  

Oh yeah, the music in the game is really freaking good.  Some of the best music I've heard in a DS title.  The DS isn't known for having the greatest sound chip, but Contact's audio milks it for all its worth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: