Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319735 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Movie Trends that NEED to Stop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Movie Trends that NEED to Stop  (Read 7697 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »

Tropes.  They're everywhere.  Sadly, some are to make things more exciting (why is amnesia cool?  It just isn't the same unless our hero feels the surprise like the audience) - but fuck it, speak your mind.

Anyways.  Pick anything.
I'm going with a rather recent one that needs to stop before it gets worse.
I HATE it during a 3D film or trailer when some object deliberately comes at the viewer to "show off" being 3D.  It doesn't feel like an artistically creative choice, more like a good idea that gets moviegoers to brag.  Ranges from stuff like the film title swooping in, or flying debris.  Its soo cheesy

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »

Agree 100% on the 3D.

My least favorite trope by far is the herky jerky action camera that seems to be very popular these days. I like a nice, cleanly filmed action sequence where you can really tell where everybody is and what they are doing - to me it makes the scene much more exciting. Top Gun for example (showing my age here) where you can know at any point in a dogfight where are the players are in relation to each other. Or the car chase scenes in Ronin. These are examples of really well filmed action sequences - too many now rely on the "quick cut" and the camera zooming around and I can't figure out what is actually happening spatially (the Transformers movies come to mind).
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »

I'm tired of them taking cartoon characters from my childhood and making shitty CG movies.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »

Those 80s remakes/reimaginings need to stop.  The retro trend is getting out of control.  Nothing will ever be as good as the original, so leave sacred cows alone. 

*imitates that effeminate blond guy wailing "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!" 

I approve of this nonsense!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »

Well, the Tim Burton Batman came out in 1989 and I'd say the Nolan Batmans are pretty stinkin' good.

;-)

Obviously I'm just being a jerk.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »

A trope that should stop:

growling lead characters in movies. Any new Christian Bale action movie (batmans, terminator) he's basically talking like he deep throated a wire brush.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »

Honestly, as cheesey as Bale may come off growling, if I was running around at night, hopping rooftops in a bat costume, I would probably try to seem a little tougher. Grunting, throwing people off fire escapes, and yelling, "I'm the goddamn Batman!" all accomplish this.

Um...I didn't see any recent movies this last year, save Howl, so...how about Hollywood stops making movies I don't want to see.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »

3D.

Edit:
Um...I didn't see any recent movies this last year, save Howl, so...how about Hollywood stops making movies I don't want to see.

Ah, someone that's actually seen Howl.  How was it?  I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to show up on DVD cause I really wanted to catch it.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

Having "fuck" constitute 25% of the dialogue. I'm looking at you, Judd Apatow.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »

3D.

Edit:

Ah, someone that's actually seen Howl.  How was it?  I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to show up on DVD cause I really wanted to catch it.

I'm not sure the movie will make very much sense to people who haven't read a Kerouac novel and a few interviews with Ginsberg, which seems counter-productive. Basically, if you know nothing about Howl and the Beat generation, this isn't a very good primer, and, if you do, I can't say you're going to really take very much away from the film. I would recommend watching it in conjunction with any study of Beat literature, as it's pretty weak on its own. Honestly, you'd be better off watching The Life and Times of allen Ginsberg .

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »

I guess (overuse of) 3D technology is a given. I want to say "cheesy dialogue" but in all honesty, that's not a trend: it's just a consistent symptom of the movie industry. I simply feel like more and more films have really generic writing.

Would definitely like to see a halt in movies based on popular Young Adult novels. I mean-- the Twilight books are huge, I understand that. Same goes for Harry Potter and maybe Narnia. But Cirque du Freak, Legend of the Guardian, Percy Jackson... it's just an influx of films that are, at best, mildly intriguing. Some of them didn't even make particularly good books in the first place!

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »

I guess (overuse of) 3D technology is a given. I want to say "cheesy dialogue" but in all honesty, that's not a trend: it's just a consistent symptom of the movie industry. I simply feel like more and more films have really generic writing.

Would definitely like to see a halt in movies based on popular Young Adult novels. I mean-- the Twilight books are huge, I understand that. Same goes for Harry Potter and maybe Narnia. But Cirque du Freak, Legend of the Guardian, Percy Jackson... it's just an influx of films that are, at best, mildly intriguing. Some of them didn't even make particularly good books in the first place!

The real unfortunate thing with Percy Jackson is that the movies had the potential to be better than the books.  Percy's constant commentary can come off pretty juvenile (expected considering his age, but makes the book hard to get through).  If they had only spent more time tightening down the script's dialogue and locking in good takes from the actors... Percy Jackson could have toppled Harry Potter in the cinema.  Instead they simply spent more money into improving the special effects.  Which is exactly the common trait among Hollywood I want stamped out.

I wanted to like Avatar.  I really did. But I can't tolerate the acting or the script's dialogue. If they can spend a quarter of a billion making it as pretty  as it is, they could have easily found a way (reserve maybe 10 million of that) for a screen play treatment by someone who knows how to write interesting dialogue.  The same goes for reshoots on many of their scenes.

As much as I'm a defender of the Star Wars prequels, I can't deny that this is precisely what went wrong with them as well.  Overblown special effects budget at the expense of dialogue and acting.  The result is something gorgeous, but only partially human.  Hello uncanny valley, goodbye artistic integrity.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:30:39 AM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 07:19:35 PM »

My +1, my best homeslice, and I are probably the only people who haven't seen avatar yet, which is funny because I'll see almost anything.

And I'll agree with the young adult themed adaptions, not everything deserves to be a movie. I'll allow Narnia because I LOVED them as a kid.

Well I think the reason I really liked them is because I'd read them, do a book report, and get the free pizza from Pizza Hut.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »

The action packed trailer (usually with the theme from Requiem for a Dream) that has hardly anything to do with the film or is a collection of all the best bits of it leaving the rest somewhat shit in comparison or the trailer that sums up everything the movie has to offer.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »

Quote from: dyeager
My least favorite trope by far is the herky jerky action camera that seems to be very popular these days.

Cloverfield?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: