Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334819 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Movie Trends that NEED to Stop
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Movie Trends that NEED to Stop  (Read 9002 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 05:30:55 AM »

The battles with slow-motion that every 10 seconds and for every "cool move" that the hero does. Yes, it looks good at the beginning but not if you use it for all the duration of the scene.

The action packed trailer (usually with the theme from Requiem for a Dream) that has hardly anything to do with the film or is a collection of all the best bits of it leaving the rest somewhat shit in comparison or the trailer that sums up everything the movie has to offer.

This. I hate when the trailers go ape shit on the audiences, specially for action and "comedy" movies.

What's wierd is that there's people who enjoy that.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »

Generic "movie" comedies drive me INSANE!  The latest being "Vampires Suck". Now, I haven't seen it nor do I plan to.  These kinds of movies really need to stop.  The worst thing is that they started off good back in the day with movies like Airplane and The Naked Gun.  From then on it degenerated over the years into such nonsense as Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans.  These movies are not funny and they need to stop being made.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »

Generic "movie" comedies drive me INSANE!  The latest being "Vampires Suck". Now, I haven't seen it nor do I plan to.  These kinds of movies really need to stop.  The worst thing is that they started off good back in the day with movies like Airplane and The Naked Gun.  From then on it degenerated over the years into such nonsense as Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans.  These movies are not funny and they need to stop being made.

Funny that Vampires Suck, Epic Movie and Meet The Spartans were all made by the same two douches who never evolved their sense of humor past the playground.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »

#1 movie trend that NEEDS to stop - People need to stop going to shitty movies! Guess what, folks? If you stop paying for shitty movies, "they" will stop making shitty movies! It's not that hard!
#2 - The overall derision I am seeing from the general public for movie reviewers. "Movie reviewers suck!" "They only like pompous arty films" "I don't bother reading reviews" *shakes head*
They key is to find the right reviewer that jives with your taste in movies. Sure, there are plenty of schlocky reviewers out there. But there are also some really great ones. My fave is http://flickfilosopher.com/. I may not always agree with her, but she knows how to write a review, and even make it entertaining to read.
#3 trailers that give away the whole damn movie. Thanks for that! Now I don't have to bother with your crappy movie. I get pissed, though, when it's a movie I'm interested in.

I wanted to like Avatar.  I really did. But I can't tolerate the acting or the script's dialogue. If they can spend a quarter of a billion making it as pretty  as it is, they could have easily found a way (reserve maybe 10 million of that) for a screen play treatment by someone who knows how to write interesting dialogue.  The same goes for reshoots on many of their scenes.

As much as I'm a defender of the Star Wars prequels, I can't deny that this is precisely what went wrong with them as well.  Overblown special effects budget at the expense of dialogue and acting.  The result is something gorgeous, but only partially human.  Hello uncanny valley, goodbye artistic integrity.
THIS! So much THIS! Bad writing/dialogue can ruin a movie for me. I was initially quite impressed with Avatar, but after a few days I realized how freaking generic it truly was. If only they had spent a little more time on the damn script!

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:34:50 PM »

Vampires Suck made more money at the box office than Scott Pilgrim. 

...yeah

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »

I don't care if any trends stop. Trends will always be there and you can still find good movies among the heaps of shit out there. When it comes to 3D, I don't think that's going away, ever.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »

Tropes.  They're everywhere.  Sadly, some are to make things more exciting (why is amnesia cool?  It just isn't the same unless our hero feels the surprise like the audience) - but fuck it, speak your mind.

Anyways.  Pick anything.
I'm going with a rather recent one that needs to stop before it gets worse.
I HATE it during a 3D film or trailer when some object deliberately comes at the viewer to "show off" being 3D.  It doesn't feel like an artistically creative choice, more like a good idea that gets moviegoers to brag.  Ranges from stuff like the film title swooping in, or flying debris.  Its soo cheesy

This. A Thousand times this. I hate it when 3D movies do that. It was fun the first time, but I've seen it so many times it's long since drove me bonkers!

I also agree that the reboots need to stop.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

1. Generic comedies. National Lampoon,  Americaan pie spinoffs and other similar irk need to die a  dog's death.
2. Bad, just horribly bad parody movies that keep getting churned out. *COUGH*MacGruber*COUGH*
3. Making comic book and anime movie adaptions just for the sake of making them. Barring a few exceptions most of them are bad.  This is mainly a Marvel and anime problem.
#1 movie trend that NEEDS to stop - People need to stop going to shitty movies! Guess what, folks? If you stop paying for shitty movies, "they" will stop making shitty movies! It's not that hard!
#2 - The overall derision I am seeing from the general public for movie reviewers. "Movie reviewers suck!" "They only like pompous arty films" "I don't bother reading reviews" *shakes head*
They key is to find the right reviewer that jives with your taste in movies. Sure, there are plenty of schlocky reviewers out there. But there are also some really great ones. My fave is http://flickfilosopher.com/. I may not always agree with her, but she knows how to write a review, and even make it entertaining to read.
#3 trailers that give away the whole damn movie. Thanks for that! Now I don't have to bother with your crappy movie. I get pissed, though, when it's a movie I'm interested in.
QFT.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:29:47 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »

Vampires Suck made more money than Scott Pilgrim?!?!  Oh dear, I'll add that to the list of reasons why I need to die.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »

Tropes.  They're everywhere.  Sadly, some are to make things more exciting (why is amnesia cool?  It just isn't the same unless our hero feels the surprise like the audience) - but fuck it, speak your mind.

Anyways.  Pick anything.
I'm going with a rather recent one that needs to stop before it gets worse.
I HATE it during a 3D film or trailer when some object deliberately comes at the viewer to "show off" being 3D.  It doesn't feel like an artistically creative choice, more like a good idea that gets moviegoers to brag.  Ranges from stuff like the film title swooping in, or flying debris.  Its soo cheesy

This. A Thousand times this. I hate it when 3D movies do that. It was fun the first time, but I've seen it so many times it's long since drove me bonkers!

I also agree that the reboots need to stop.

The 3D show off shots aren't acutually a new thing.  A lot of the old 50's - 80's 3D horror and sci-fi movies did the same thing, but cheesier lol.  Funny thing is, when they put all these old movies out on DVD, they normally just left out the fact that it was originally a 3D movie, so all those shots make even less sense.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »

I loved the 3 Stooges as a kid. There was one where they tried to do 3D (i'm not sure if it actually was originally) and they did the throwing stuff at that camera like every scene.

Now that I'm older... I appreciate the Marx Bros. more :)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »

IT'S LIKE ITS COMING STRAIGHT FOR US!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xd9Mmk60zg&feature=related

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »

My +1, my best homeslice, and I are probably the only people who haven't seen avatar yet, which is funny because I'll see almost anything.

never seen it either.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 04:13:34 AM »

I loved the 3 Stooges as a kid. There was one where they tried to do 3D (i'm not sure if it actually was originally) and they did the throwing stuff at that camera like every scene.

Now that I'm older... I appreciate the Marx Bros. more :)

I love flipping late at night to see Marx Bros on.  UNREAL how well their comedy has aged - it still has me in stitches.  Duck Soup (of course) and Night at the Opera are my favorites.

I loved this one radio excerpt where (IIRC) Chico is told to look after gifts at a party so they're not stolen.  The guest comes back and see that all the gifts are gone.  He ingeniously replies; "I was watchin' the presents the whole time!  First a man came into the room.  Then he picked up all of the presents.  Then he left out the window.  I saw the whole thing".  ba dum tss!  Love it. =)

In regards to Avatar.  Meh.  Get around to it if you can.  The most accurate review to this day is it is pure Smurf Pocahontas...
If I were Jake Sully I would have slapped his tribal blue-woman for confessing to her royal family the they had just slept together (which causes village panic...good move there wench).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 08:38:14 AM »

My +1, my best homeslice, and I are probably the only people who haven't seen avatar yet, which is funny because I'll see almost anything.

never seen it either.

better to keep it that way imo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: