Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 02:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341031 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Movie Trends that NEED to Stop
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Movie Trends that NEED to Stop  (Read 9545 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

In regards to Avatar.  Meh.  Get around to it if you can.  The most accurate review to this day is it is pure Smurf Pocahontas...
If I were Jake Sully I would have slapped his tribal blue-woman for confessing to her royal family the they had just slept together (which causes village panic...good move there wench).

Meh, that is so minor compared to all the other shit wrong with that movie.  Honestly, Avatar is only worth it if you have a method of watching it where you could fully appreciate the beauty of everything, because the actual plot/characters are all pretty bad.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »

You should watch it for the plant life and fucked-up insects.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »

You should watch it for the plant life and fucked-up insects.
Bingo!
The world itself is quite realized and worth a viewing. Too bad they went and stuck people in it. People who spout out every cliche line in the book.
Still, I dig the movie as a step forward in general.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »

I loved the 3 Stooges as a kid. There was one where they tried to do 3D (i'm not sure if it actually was originally) and they did the throwing stuff at that camera like every scene.

Now that I'm older... I appreciate the Marx Bros. more :)

I love flipping late at night to see Marx Bros on.  UNREAL how well their comedy has aged - it still has me in stitches.  Duck Soup (of course) and Night at the Opera are my favorites.

I loved this one radio excerpt where (IIRC) Chico is told to look after gifts at a party so they're not stolen.  The guest comes back and see that all the gifts are gone.  He ingeniously replies; "I was watchin' the presents the whole time!  First a man came into the room.  Then he picked up all of the presents.  Then he left out the window.  I saw the whole thing".  ba dum tss!  Love it. =)

In regards to Avatar.  Meh.  Get around to it if you can.  The most accurate review to this day is it is pure Smurf Pocahontas...
If I were Jake Sully I would have slapped his tribal blue-woman for confessing to her royal family the they had just slept together (which causes village panic...good move there wench).

My favorite is Opera. I love the part early on when the "bad guy" opera singer gets knocked out and groucho puts his leg up on him . Chico walks up and goes "what happened?"

"he pulled a knife on me so I shot him."
Then he puts his leg up on him too, "hey bartender, two beers!" "i'll have two beers too."

Then the whole contract scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1azumuu_vmQ
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »

I discovered yesterday while watching TV that there one's overly used trope that has ALWAYS been there and is in every show / book /manga / anime featuring love.
The love triangle.
In every story where a character is trying to get a girl/guy, there WILL be a rival in love.
Is this really needed for a story?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »

I discovered yesterday while watching TV that there one's overly used trope that has ALWAYS been there and is in every show / book /manga / anime featuring love.
The love triangle.
In every story where a character is trying to get a girl/guy, there WILL be a rival in love.
Is this really needed for a story?

I'd argue that as a good story "pinch" to throw in.  What else adds to the love drama plots as well as a rivalry?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »

Generic "movie" comedies drive me INSANE!  The latest being "Vampires Suck". Now, I haven't seen it nor do I plan to.  These kinds of movies really need to stop.  The worst thing is that they started off good back in the day with movies like Airplane and The Naked Gun.  From then on it degenerated over the years into such nonsense as Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans.  These movies are not funny and they need to stop being made.

Ditto.  I'd love to know who the fuck actually pays to watch this kind of shit.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 12:19:39 AM »

Parody movies are pretty bad, but I did find a diamond in the rough with Stan Helsing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4ukqjaw5M&NR=1

"I just think that grunge didn't have enough time to like fully mature, you know?  it's still evolving.."

"How did you do that?"

"I don't know.  Ever since I was a kid I was able to snatch bugs and stuff."

and
"I think we should stop seeing each other!"
"...who you doin"

It's good because the jokes are subtle, when most parodies are full of over the top slapstick jokes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:22:24 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »

Parody movies are pretty bad, but I did find a diamond in the rough with Stan Helsing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4ukqjaw5M&NR=1

"I just think that grunge didn't have enough time to like fully mature, you know?  it's still evolving.."

"How did you do that?"

"I don't know.  Ever since I was a kid I was able to snatch bugs and stuff."

and
"I think we should stop seeing each other!"
"...who you doin"

It's good because the jokes are subtle, when most parodies are full of over the top slapstick jokes.

Oh Gawd that was hilarious! Now I gotta watch that movie!

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »

I'm adding one quickly.  Enough with the goddamn Schizophrenia plot twist.

That, and cop dramas.  Few and far between are good while many are too generic and by the numbers.

Pointless Remakes.  Legally Blond 3, Disney Part II's, most of those straight to video flicks in general suck nuts.

The "less is more" endings, the ones that just sort of end.  No Country For Old Men was a good example, where the explosive climax turns into a dim ember.  Broken Flowers was fucken horrible for it.  The whole "its about the journey and not the destination" thing annoys me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »

I'm adding one quickly.  Enough with the goddamn Schizophrenia plot twist.

That, and cop dramas.  Few and far between are good while many are too generic and by the numbers.

Pointless Remakes.  Legally Blond 3, Disney Part II's, most of those straight to video flicks in general suck nuts.

The "less is more" endings, the ones that just sort of end.  No Country For Old Men was a good example, where the explosive climax turns into a dim ember.  Broken Flowers was fucken horrible for it.  The whole "its about the journey and not the destination" thing annoys me.

I think you mean Sequels and not Remakes.

Also, I kind of like stories that just end, as long as they end in a place that makes sense.  The problem I had with No Country for Old Men was the speech at the end, I think it was about the dream.  I didn't like that bit.  After rewatching it though I really did love how they turned all of that heavy tension into what it became.  I mean I know it totally let a lot of people down, but there is something kind of beautiful there.  It just brings about questions like, what do we expect stories to do for us?  Or why should we expect the story to satisfy us, or meet our "completion" criteria?

Just my own two cents though.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

Broken Flowers was a good movie. Does it stop abruptly? Yes, but you will always remember it for that. What was Jarmusch supposed to do? Make it some sappy movie where father and long-lost sun make-up and live happily ever after? Personally, I think enough of those movies have been made.

This movie is not about getting closure. And it's not a journey vs. destination thing. It's a movie about being stuck in a rut and not getting out of it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »

One thing that really needs to stop but has no chance of doing so is "cleaning" up movies to make them pg-13 so more people can see them.

I can't recall scene by scene but I know some things were taken out of the harry potter movies to keep the rating down and less spooky.

But I just saw the commercial for "battle for los angeles" and it's a movie about machines or aliens (whatever) murdering people and mass genocide... and it's fucking pg 13.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »

One thing that really needs to stop but has no chance of doing so is "cleaning" up movies to make them pg-13 so more people can see them.

I can't recall scene by scene but I know some things were taken out of the harry potter movies to keep the rating down and less spooky.

But I just saw the commercial for "battle for los angeles" and it's a movie about machines or aliens (whatever) murdering people and mass genocide... and it's fucking pg 13.

This is a big pet peeve of mine.
Sorrows Saturn

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:44 AM »

The whole "Cartoons are just for kids" ideology.

And speaking of cartoons, enough with the 3D animation. 2D animation generally looks better in my opinion. And since everyone thinks that cartoons are just for kids, cartoons have gone 3D because of how simple minded children generally are.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:17:54 AM by Sorrows Saturn » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: