Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:22:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318891 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Assholes whine about black guy cast in Thor movie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Assholes whine about black guy cast in Thor movie  (Read 2688 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »

I'm more up in arms about his ridiculous costume.

So chintzy

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »

Yeah his costume sucks ass too.

This is fucking Thor. Bow, Plebs.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »

Additionally if Ru Paul played Batman in the next Batman movie that would be incredible. I'm not even being sarcastic when I say that.

Oh god, I want this to happen. I would die instantly if it came true. My brain would shut-off from all the awesomeness.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »

Yeah his costume sucks ass too.

This is fucking Thor. Bow, Plebs.

The black guy isn't playing Thor, Thoren

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

The bottom line is, while Iím completely comfortable dismissing the CCC as a bunch of assholes, they have a subtly valid point, even if itís just a nice-sounding excuse for being racist. I was kinda put off that the Prince of Persia movie didnít use a middle-eastern actor; it seemed a bit like 21st century black face, especially when we have some amazing middle-eastern actors in the wings. When I think about it like that, it does make me feel a little awkward to outright dismiss any argument about a black person in Norse mythology. Why am I so uncomfortable about a white guy playing an Iranian, yet I have no problem with a black guy in Norse mythology? SimpleÖ it feels great to see minorities not get overlooked. But is that a good enough reason to excuse hypocrisy, ďbecause it feels great?Ē I dunno.

I think weíll always have that double standard, and I donít necessarily think itís an outright bad one, just something we should be aware of. Seeing a minority person get the glory should feel better than watching a white dude take a minorities glory away. But itís still hypocrisy, all the same.

For now, I say ďrock on,Ē I certainly wonít lose sleep over it. And Iíll believe what I want to believe, that he was the right person for the job. The reality might actually be that Kenneth Branagh wanted a more diverse cast, which is probably an admirable mission too. Casting a white dude in Prince of Persia was likely for less admirable reasons. Even if he was ďthe right person for the jobĒ, there is the underlying reality that he could have been cast because the director though he would be more pleasing and comfortable to a largely white audience, which I do not think is a good reason.

However, all in all, there is merit to an argument against a black Norse God, but it isnít as socially subversive as the other way around.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »

It's hardly the first time it has happened. I don't know that racist groups like this jumped into it, but there was a bit of a hubbub amongst Marvel fans when Daredevil was released and Kingpin was played by Michael Clarke Duncan. The funny thing was that his playing Kingpin is about the only redeemable thing about that movie. I find it funny that a bunch of white Christians are throwing such a tizzy about pagan representations in film. Maybe someone should tell them, as Vanguard mentioned, that Jesus wasn't a white European guy with a reddish beard, but *gasp* a Jew!

EDIT: BTW, did anyone else think the guy on the lower right in the second picture on that page looks like he's pooping himself? Just thought I'd point that out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:40:21 PM by Jimmy » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »

Gee, I wish I were gonna live to see the day when skin colour is a non-issue.

I fear that day will only come though when the earths only living inhabitants are a few cockroaches and one lonely alligator.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »

Meanwhile, in Asgard..

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »

I was at a dollar store and they had tons of black santa figurines.

Shoulda picked one up

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:31 AM »

Gee, I wish I were gonna live to see the day when skin colour is a non-issue.

I fear that day will only come though when the earths only living inhabitants are a few cockroaches and one lonely alligator.

Give it around 50,000 years.  By then, we'll be so mixed up genetically we'll probably all be light brown.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »

Let's not forget that people had no problem with a white guy being a Persian prince in Prince of Persia, a predominantly white cast playing characters in an Asian setting in The Last Airbender, a white guy playing an Asian superhero in Dragonball Evolution, a bunch of white kids playing in lieu of the true group of Asians in 21, a white guy being the last samurai to rekindle their honor in The Last Samurai, and more I probably haven't even thought of yet.
I actually had problems with all of those, except the Last Samurai... Okay, well I did have my doubts while watching it for the first time but I was able to make the leap of faith for that one in the end. The Prince of Persia bothered me the most since Jake Gyllenhall (I have no idea of I spelled that right... probably not) is so obviously white. That being said the movie was actually really good if not what I had hoped for. Same goes for the other movies in this list.

As for Thor, I don't really care so long as the movie is good. Don't know why, I just don't. *shrugs*

Also, racist people suck.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 01:42:56 AM »

Taken from cofcc

I get a feeling someone else posted it in this thread, but I'm too lazy.
I think a lot of people probably that saw Prince of Persia thought (from marketing campaigns, etc) that Jake Gyllenhall actually did look middle eastern with a good amount of make up and stuff including sweat from all that action and maybe some dirt.
I thought white Goku was a primary reason DB did so badly, and did raise a fair amount of controversy at least among fans.
I look past Thor and it all looks like race stuff
http://www.cofcc.org/2010/12/seatle-bus-security-camera-video-highlights-state-of-black-youth-culture/
http://www.cofcc.org/2010/12/chicano-movement-vows-retaliation-against-whites/
http://www.cofcc.org/2010/12/cdc-1-in-16-black-men-will-be-diagnosed-with-aids/
semi race-related
http://www.cofcc.org/2010/12/huge-cofcc-billboard-erected-alabama/
edit:
I just now noticed that out of those movies, white people play mostly minority main characters and now a black guy plays a non-title character, people get butthurt (council of conservative christians)
double edit:
bitches made it so Penny Arcade image would turn into a "do not steal" thing
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:55:49 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »

I get a feeling someone else posted it in this thread, but I'm too lazy.

*Raises Hand*

We're only on the second page dude.

PATV has a 4th panel where they discuss this whole thing even further and is worth checking out. I get that the CCC is upset about this, because they're douche muppets. It's what they do. But why would anyone else be even remotely concerned about this? I sincerely doubt that any reviewer, reuptable ones anyway, will come back from the movie saying, "All of the elements were in place to drool over Thor as smites his nemesis with righteous holy thunder but for some reason this movie left me a little cold. It wasn't until I saw Heimdall that I could place a finger on it: no one in Asgard is black, and for this reason, I didn't find his character believable."

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »

I just now noticed that out of those movies, white people play mostly minority main characters and now a black guy plays a non-title character, people get butthurt (council of conservative christians)

That last "c" stands for "citizens."  There's a couple of mentions in this thread that confuses the two.  Relatively understandable, given the similarity of the words.

*Raises Hand*

We're only on the second page dude.

PATV has a 4th panel where they discuss this whole thing even further and is worth checking out. I get that the CCC is upset about this, because they're douche muppets. It's what they do. But why would anyone else be even remotely concerned about this? I sincerely doubt that any reviewer, reuptable ones anyway, will come back from the movie saying, "All of the elements were in place to drool over Thor as smites his nemesis with righteous holy thunder but for some reason this movie left me a little cold. It wasn't until I saw Heimdall that I could place a finger on it: no one in Asgard is black, and for this reason, I didn't find his character believable."

If I never read this thread there's a chance I wouldn't have even noticed that there was a black Asgardian.  And even though the cat's out the bag for me... oh well.  I know I'm prone to nitpick because I find it stimulating.  I hope the movie's good. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:13:54 AM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 07:20:06 AM »

As a half Scandinavian (FOB) half black man, this is pretty offensive.  It isn't literally offending me, but I am actively aware of it being thrown away in my mind along with all of the other bullshit I've had to sort out growing up.

Oh well, the joke is on them.  When I think of Heimdall, I think of a fucking Japanese robot.

The weekend rockstars are in the toilet, practicing their lines...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: