Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square Enix iOS Games on Sale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Square Enix iOS Games on Sale  (Read 2172 times)
Wendriel

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »

Apparently SE is having an iOS sale to mark the release of Secret of Mana.  I've just picked up Chaos Rings for $5.99 on the App Store: I understand it started out quite a bit more expensive, so if anyone else has been wanting to try it out, this might be a good time. :)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

Awesome...but I looked at Secret of Mana...no multiplayer! WHAT.

Still though, may finally pick up Song Summoners or whatever it's called.

I still bought Mana anyway because I'm a consumer whore.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:14:39 PM by Lucca » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »

I've just picked up Chaos Rings for $5.99 on the App Store...

Yeah, that's usually $13!  If you're interested, grab it. Definitely worth $6.

Thanks for the heads up, Wendriel!  I bought Song Summoners.  Need to review the iPod Touch version.  I reviewed the original, and the latest patch to the iPod Touch version made a big improvement on the library loading time issues.

I also got Sliding Heroes, because although it's kinda crappy, it's free. :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:24:05 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
puzzl

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »

In one of the most nonsensical decisions in recent memory, Squeenix has gone and redrawn all the graphics for the new iOS Secret of Mana... at 320p. WHAT!? WHY would you do this? If you fire this thing up on an iPhone 4 or iPad you have to immediately go 2x and play at reduced resolution. This is epic fail of the worst sort.

More details over here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/epq9l/secret_of_mana_iphone_is_out_and_it_is_an_epic/
Wendriel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:04:13 AM »

Secret of Mana runs very well on my iPod Touch.  I've just got to get used to the touch screen controls.  I can see where there might be issues on the stronger hardware, though.

Tooker: Thanks for reminding me about Song Summoner.  I went and grabbed the Lite version for free. :)

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »

The controls are shit.  Something as simple as trying to walk up steps to get on a narrow bridge so you can cross streams early in the game is a pain in the ass.  Hell, the game music doesn't even loop properly.  There are several other gripes too, but I'll simply say that I already regret buying Secret of Mana for my phone.

I really need to stop giving that company my money.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

In one of the most nonsensical decisions in recent memory, Squeenix has gone and redrawn all the graphics for the new iOS Secret of Mana... at 320p.

That is pretty strange, I agree.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »

The controls are shit.  Something as simple as trying to walk up steps to get on a narrow bridge so you can cross streams early in the game is a pain in the ass.  Hell, the game music doesn't even loop properly.  There are several other gripes too, but I'll simply say that I already regret buying Secret of Mana for my phone.

I really need to stop giving that company my money.

And it's a buck more than on the VC too. I admittedly had my doubts purely based on controls since the SNES game didn't exactly have the tightest controls anyway, but these other issues, the blatant omissions, and the nevertheless hefty charge are outright absurd.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »

I agree on most of this, except the graphics have definetely had some enhancement (not much, but some) and I like the new artwork. Also, while I agree the controls are a bit wonky, they're actually GREAT when you get into the Ring Menu system. Very second nature.

I think with an update to fix the repeating music and multiplayer, it'll be worth the money. As of right now, it's okay. I did notice the script has been ever so slightly cleaned up though, which helps a lot.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

I don't get how anyone can play using the shitty virtual joystick/button setup. There's not tactile feedback, no actual feeling to the controls, and it's easy to fuck up. It makes classic games like SoM nearly unplayable.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:00:07 AM »

I was tempted to buy it because the graphics look sharper but I looked over on my shelf and seen Secret of Mana and I started playing it,lol.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

I don't get how anyone can play using the shitty virtual joystick/button setup. There's not tactile feedback, no actual feeling to the controls, and it's easy to fuck up. It makes classic games like SoM nearly unplayable.

I really worried about that when I started playing iOS games, but I've become pretty comfortable with at least the joystick part.  The buttons... well, let's say that it's generally a good thing that you use the main attack button more than the others.  Easy to keep finding that button, but I do get lost in the others from time to time.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

I really worried about that when I started playing iOS games, but I've become pretty comfortable with at least the joystick part.  The buttons... well, let's say that it's generally a good thing that you use the main attack button more than the others.  Easy to keep finding that button, but I do get lost in the others from time to time.

Going my experience it also depends a lot on the capability of the developers. Trying the demo of Earthworm Jim was awful, while God of War Hero of Sparta II played surprisingly well as did the Spiderman game.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 02:36:06 AM »

Yeah, im glad I didn't buy it now,lol!

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: