Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332847 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra  (Read 30260 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 01:03:42 AM »

Now that I think about it, if they tried to stick to XS Ep V being XG, it'd be really awkward. There'd be 3 games focusing on one period, contained entirely in a little over a year, then all of a sudden there's another game thousands of years later covering one point, then another game leaping forward several thousand years. That'd seem a bit messy to me.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 01:28:17 AM »

Love is a many splintered thing.  And so is the Xeno series.  I'm among those that are sad to see it go, but am also glad that it's ending where it is.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »

Quote from: "James8BitStar"
Waitaminute!

How can this game conclude everything?  Doesn't there have to be another game (since the original Xenogears was "Episode V")?

Since Takahashi once again failed at managing his time and money the series no longer follows the Episode order found in Perfect Works.  Episode I-III of Xenosaga fits into the "Episode I" scenario set in Perfect Works.

Tetsuya Takahashi will write the last part as a manga, novel, or anime series or something of the sort.

It's what he should of done to begin with...
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »

This entire issue is just very ironic. After all Takahashi joined forces with Namco to establish Monolith Soft back then, simply because he could not realize his dream of a six episode-spanning saga at his former employer Square. Then he is sidelined during the development of Episode II. Next comes the fallout between Monolith Soft and his wife. And now he will have to settle with three instead of six games.

To be fair, though, one has to admit that Monolith Soft itself never said they were planning for six games, but rather four or five.

As for Takahashi and his wife, it probably would be best for them to create their own studio and develop their own stuff. Provided they have the money to fund such an enterprise, Takahashi could then finally ignore all deadlines and just work on his perfect game (series). That is, if he ever finds a publisher for it :P.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »

Also...didn't he say he hated the way Xenogears turned out anyway and wasn't going to follow that storyline at all and completely redo episode V?
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 01:59:51 AM »

He has to compromise a lot of ideas to get the Xenogears Squaresoft wanted...  So I imagine it wouldn't exactly be the same.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 05:26:06 AM »

spoiler alert watch at your own risk

T-Elos vs KOS-MOS in game cutscene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sBBwXTga9JQ

this one really isnt a spoiler just a 2 and a half minute clip showing T-Elos owning some gnosis

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYymyrpuJ-E

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »

Part of the dark humor in all this is that Episode 3 restored quite a few of Ms Saga's plot ideas that were cut from 2.  If they had made a game simliar to 3 for episode 2, we might be hearing about development on 4 right now.

- Kickin it old school? ... Or something...
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »

It apparently did not help the series. While the 260,000 copies Episode II sold in Japan were already bad enough, Episode III will probably struggle to even pass the 250,000 copies mark.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »

This will admittedly  have to depend on my experinces for when I play it, but it looks to me like XS could still be around if XS2 was more like XSIII.

I really don't fully get their changes - it may've been better for the story and telling it to go with more realistic designs, but such an abrupt change was just /horrible/ for a constantly ongoing series. It worked for FFVIII while managing to make Tetsuya Nomura evolve more as a character designer, but XSII just seemed to be trying to appeal far too much to the american audience they discovered they could sell the game to - going from one extreme in several areas to the other. It espicially looks awkward now compared to XSIII. :P

Edit: This post made me realize something - no matter what, XSIII's going to make me bitch. If it's a crappy, or at least average game, then I'll lament how Monolith Soft turned a series I was initially enjoying into a huge disappointment. If they make this a great game, then I'll just criticize XSII harder for being the odd one out of the series.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 12:30:57 AM »

The designs in this one seems to have a middle ground approach for me.  It's not as "popularized exaggerated anime" looking as Episode I, but it isn't as "realistic anime" looking as Episode II, either.  A little consistency would have been nice, frankly.  Hell, I'd have liked it if this was the look for the whole series.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 04:56:35 AM »

Meh. I'm always going to be a bit cynical of the Xenosaga games, because somebody didn't release them over here. I don't think they even released Xenogears here, either. I don't know, because my knowledge of videogames before the second half of the 90s is somewhat limited because I was born at the end of the 80s.

But anyway, its a little annoying how some of the best rpgs never come out in Europe because no-one buys them. I was quite surprised that Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (or Shin Megami Tensei a.k.a. Lucifer's Call as they call it here) and Digital Devil Saga actually came out here, because they're not exactly the sort of games that would sell well in a non-rpg country like England. It's probably something to do with their success in America, I'd imagine. If only the same was true of Xenosaga...

What's with all the Nietzsche quotes in the titles anyway? I can't really see how a german philosopher has anything to do with an rpg set in space. I wouldn't know, having never played the games, but I suspect it's trying to make the game sound cool and sophisticated. Like the philosophical quotes in every scene of Ghost in the Shell 2.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 05:31:36 AM »

Xenosaga Episode 2 was actually released in Europe, bundled with a DVD that included all the cutscenes from Ep 1. I don't think it sold very well, though (go figure), so the chance of Ep 3 being released over here is pretty slim.

As for the Nietzsche quotes, the probably are just there to look coold :P So far the games really haven't included much of Nietzsche's philosophy, but that could change in the third game. A lot of his writings critize the idea that true, object good/evil and right/wrong exists, and who knows - perhaps U-Do turns out to be the nice "guy" at the end of Ep 3 :P

Edit:
Oh, and you do realize that you can import games, right? I've seen you lament the lack of RPG release in Europe in a few threads now. I live in Europe as well, and I buy all my games and systems from USA, Canda or Japan. Not only can I get games much earlier this way, it's also considerably cheaper.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 06:46:59 AM »

Well I own neither an NTSC tv nor console, so importing would be pointless. Yeh, i did know you can import games - thats how I played Fire Emblem 8 and Oracle of Ages/Seasons long before my friends did. I think a game seems better if you wait ages for it, and plus you can moan at people for talking a lot about a game you can't play yet, and I seem to like doing that... :) That's with people I know, not people on internet forums, just in case there were any doubts.

And I did know about Xenosaga Ep 2 being released here. I found it on Amazon UK, which is the best website in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Oh wait that's this website...
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:29 AM »

I'm going to sort out the Xenogears/Xenosaga mess once and for all, starting at the beginning. (A lot of this will be familiar ranting that you've all heard a bazillion times over the last four years or so. But some of it might be new, info that I've come across relatively recently. All in all, it'll just be yet another rant on the pile, it won't convince anybody of anything, and it will accomplish absolutely nothing. But it will be fun to type. =P)

Late 1998/Early 1999

Xenogears was released in Japan in Feb. 1998 and in the US in Oct. 1998. At some point after that, the Xenogears staff (most of whom were once part of the Chrono Trigger staff, remember) reconvened to start work on their next project. That project was to be "Episode I". As in the story of the creation of Deus etc. They started doing preliminary work; sketches, concept designs, etc. Clio Saga (later known as Soraya Saga, co-creator of Xenogears) posted some character artwork on her personal website from "a new project I'm working on". The characters were a woman, a little girl, and a cyborg named Vega.

Late 1999

Months later, the staff presented their idea for Episode I to Square managment. Square's decision was that they didn't want a Xenogears prequel. They told them they couldn't make Episode I. They didn't want more Xenogears. (You have to remember: Xenogears was not a big hit at this time, even in Japan. It had a strong cult following, which did eventually grow quite large... but not until 2000/2001.) However, many members of the staff were so adamant that they wanted to continue making games in the Xenogears universe that they decided to quit their jobs at Square and form their own development company. That's how Monolithsoft was formed.

Early 2000

In January 2000, Monolithsoft announced to the world that they were starting work on "Project X".

Spring 2001

Monolithsoft revealed that Project X is Xenosaga

Summer 2001

Xenosaga is officially unveiled. The three characters Soraya Saga had revealed on her website two years prior were back. The woman had clearly been an early version of Shion.  The little girl was obviously MOMO. Vega the cyborg was now known as Ziggy.

Here's the real point:

Originally, when the members of the Xenogears team were still working for Square, the intention was to make a proper prequel to Xenogears. However, when they left Square, that became impossible. We all know the reason for this: ownership of the rights to Xenogears. They were forced to scrap the Xenogears prequel plan. Instead, they started over. Instead of just Episode I, they outlined a new six episode epic which was cut from the same cloth as Xenogears and shared a ton of key elements with it, but was not directly connected.

*spoilers*

When Episode III ends, it not only does it not set up the events of Xenogears... it renders the events of Xenogears impossible. Xenogears cannot and does not exist in the Xenosaga timeline.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: