Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329224 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra  (Read 30154 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:45:17 AM »

I've been wondering how this game turned out after the first two that polarized several, myself included, so I went to look for reviews on the import to see if they managed to end the series well. Sounds like they did. While the bit about likening the dungeons to those of SH:C isn't favorable for me, the fact battles are dramatically shorter makes me happy, and it's good to see that it sounds like they didn't just totally destroy the story in the attempt to finish it up. There were some others at GameFaqs that I only glanced at that seemed to be positive overall.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:52:56 AM »

I've been hearing good things about Ep 3 from a lot of different soruces, and this makes me happy. Even if that review did sound a little fanboy-ish (was there any port of the game he didn't consider "one of the best ever"?), it does indicate that, perhaps, Monolith and Namco didn't mess this one up.

Know which part of the review makes me the happiest? Shorter load-times. I always really hated that about the previous games, how it would take ages to load battles and new areas.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:11:41 AM »

I have no faith left in the gameplay since they are going back to the Episode I formula, but it good to hear the the story is enjoyable.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:14:35 AM »

I actually enjoyed Episode 1's gameplay, so unless my tastes somehow changed enough without me knowing to the point that I'd hate it, I'll be happy with that - the only change I can see is tolerance for length, and if this review's any indicator, that problem won't be there.

Looked at other reviews on the site too - Definitely going to wait on .hack//G.U., and most likely will just read a synopsis. And it sounds like BKO may have a glimmer of hope, but I'll wait until I hear what others say - it's still suffering from one of the biggest problems I had it seems.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:17:37 AM »

As long as this game provides some real closure to the many threads left dangling from the previous two games, I'll be happy.  Okay, so I don't expect EVERY little thing to be resolved (even with one-shot RPGs), but an effort to get stuff resolved would go a long way to making this worth it.

Judging by videos that I've seen of the battles, it looks like at least the battles will be fun again.  Multihit madness FTW!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »

Holy crap, it comes out this month?  I was wondering why people were talking about it then I saw the poll at gamefaqs.  I guess I should pre-order this for the free art book.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Looked at other reviews on the site too - Definitely going to wait on .hack//G.U., and most likely will just read a synopsis. And it sounds like BKO may have a glimmer of hope, but I'll wait until I hear what others say - it's still suffering from one of the biggest problems I had it seems.

Wow.. after reading what you said I went over and read the review.

I was fairly excited about the new .hack.  I thought it would be decent.  It's kind of comical to see that not only did they not improve on the first games, but they made them worse (gameplay wise, at least).  GG.

Maybe i'll pick up Xenosaga 3 instead.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 04:31:43 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
While the bit about likening the dungeons to those of SH:C isn't favorable for me

Ew, SH:C dungeon designs.  On the other hand, being fairly accustomed to Bebpo's reviews, a high mark from him is a very good sign since he really didn't care for the second game (just like me :P).

With that in mind, I'm probably going to preorder it now for the artbook too since I like the new designs for some unfathomable reason.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »

This comes out the same day as Disgaea 2? Hm, that's news to me, but welcomed news, nonetheless.

I can't wait for this title either. Though I'm sad that the game is on the short side (30 hours isn't short by any means, but I'd expected more from a game that was expected to last two more episodes), I'm glad to see that they were able to wrap the series up nicely storywise. I'm just hoping the reviewer isn't the fanboy that Cauton mentioned :P
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 10:56:17 PM »

I'm a huge Xenosaga fanboy (I absolutely love Episode I and still liked Episode II).  I'll be all over this game on release.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:56:45 PM »

Waitaminute!

How can this game conclude everything?  Doesn't there have to be another game (since the original Xenogears was "Episode V")?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:59:07 PM »

Quote from: "James8BitStar"
Waitaminute!

How can this game conclude everything?  Doesn't there have to be another game (since the original Xenogears was "Episode V")?

1. This is continuing with the assumption that Xenosaga would inevitably lead to Xenogears.

2. We pretty much know what happens after the crash and to the present day of XG, it likely concludes everything that XS itself has left hanging open, and possibly leads up to the crash. If anything, it's the details of Episode VI that are the greatest mystery, and will likely remain as such.
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:07:41 AM »

It's a shame that the series will end prematurely- just thought I'd add my voice to that perpetual chorus- but maybe we'll get lucky and Tetsuya Takahashi will write the last part as a manga, novel, or anime series or something of the sort.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 12:10:52 AM »

The bitterest irony to me is that, for me, it was pretty much fucked from XSII regardless - if that did great, the series would continue with that style, and more importantly that battle system, and I wouldn't touch it at all. Thus, to make the series good again for me, it had to fail to the point they'd make this game to close it off. My best hope is that this does so well in all areas that they make a new Xeno* series to deal with the other parts. As is, doesn't sound like that's happening in Japan, and I don't see it having much success over here.

Though they might do that anyway in a cheap way to regain interest. Hey look, it's a new series! Sorta. I guess it works for Megaman anyway.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 01:00:41 AM »

No big loss personally.  For me, the series began and ended with Xenogears, and I never even touched the Xenosaga games.  It's just I can't believe they would start the series with Episode V, then go back and make first three episodes, and then decide there's never going to be an Episode IV.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: