Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 11:06:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331339 Posts in 13569 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra  (Read 30225 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »

I'm about 12 hours into the game now (Episode 6), and I'm liking it so far. The first thing that struck my about the game was just how fantastic it looked - especially in the cutscenes. The cutscene character models are fantastically detailed, and the special effects (light blooms, particle effects, lens flares etc) all look great. Too bad there's quite a bit of slowdown during some of the cutscenes, though.

The new battle system is a marked improvement over the predecessors. Battles both load and play out very quickly, which is a huge releif after the slow pace of Episode 1 and, especially, Episode 2. Speaking of speed, I also like the fact that the story is moving a lot faster this time around.

But what the hell is up with the dialogue in this game? It's terrible. There's been a few instances where I haven't been able to keep myself from laughing out loud because the dialogue has sounded so stilted and just.. wrong. Granted, writing is never very good in games, but it's been a long time since it's stood out so much in game that it does in this one.

That's just a minor complaint, though. All in all I'm very pleased with how well Xenosaga Episode 3 has turned out (so far) - especially after the atroctiy that was Episode 2.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »

I just picked this up. Barely scratched the surface, 4 hours in, mostly story.

It definitely feels like a game is missing in between this and the 2nd one.

Can anyone explain to me about Dr Yuriev again? How he got into nigredo's mind and all that. I haven't played the 2nd one since it came out.
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

But what the hell is up with the dialogue in this game? It's terrible. There's been a few instances where I haven't been able to keep myself from laughing out loud because the dialogue has sounded so stilted and just.. wrong. Granted, writing is never very good in games, but it's been a long time since it's stood out so much in game that it does in this one.

Care to elaborate?

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2006, 11:11:16 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Can anyone explain to me about Dr Yuriev again? How he got into nigredo's mind and all that. I haven't played the 2nd one since it came out.

I'm not going to try and confuse you with my half-baked explaination, but I will tell you that all that junk between the whole Yuriev family gets explained later on down the line :P

@Cauton - Can you drop any lines for me? I don't recall anything being unintentionally funny as far as I can remember.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2006, 02:12:33 AM »

I've just beaten the game this morning and I'll consider myself satisfied.  Just about everything I wanted to know was answered and things that were left hanging as so open to interpretation that I won't even bother thinking about them.  The final portions of the story, in particular, were especially powerful and I found myself tearing up at a couple points.  That's rare for a game to do that to me these days.  I loved going through the character and ES battles, they were actually a lot of fun.  Exploration wasn't nearly as tedious as in the past two games, either.

The voice acting was a little rough at some points due to the near slavish devotion to lip flaps, but it was good for the most part and great when it needed to be.  Even MOMO didn't suffer from what I like to call "hyper-active chipmunk" syndrome.  She was perfectly cute without being obnoxious, though that may have to do with the fact that she didn't have that huge a role in the overall story.  We finally get to see the angsty side of Shion in full force and DAMN does that girl know how to whine.  There were a couple of times that I REALLY wanted to smack her...
Code:
And you actually get your chance in one of the end battles.  ^_^

But at least it was better than having to deal with her constant "happy-cheery" mood that she had throughout the first two games.

A couple more points that I feel the need to bring up (OMG T3H SPOILERZ)
Code:
1. Allen grows a pair of fucking balls!  And actually uses them!  I was waiting for that moment ever since the first game and the payoff is awesome.  Standing up to Kevin during his "Now young Ridgeley...you will die" moment was nice to watch.

2. Jin.is.THE.MAN!!!  He's the epitome of cool in this game, from his rivalry with Margulis to dealing with his sister.  His final moments were both awesome and sad to watch.  You knew he wasn't getting out of there alive, but at least he went down fighting, like he wanted to.

As for Cauton's issues with the dialogue, a lot of the lines (particularly from  the villains) do sound like typical "mwah ha ha" bad guy posing.  Especially Yuriev.  I don't usually mind accents, but he and Sellers sounded like a couple of bad Bond movie rip-offs.  All that's missing is the mustache.  The protagonists aren't off the hook, either, as Jr. in particular seems to be channeling several "shounen-manga/anime" archetypes.  I suppose that makes sense, given his personality, but it just seems more so than in the past two games.  I had a really hard time taking him seriously in this game.

Overall, this was probably the best ending Monolith could have come up with considering they had to cut down the series.  They may have learned from their mistakes with Ep. I and II, but it was too little, too late.  At least they threw in more than enough vague Xenogears references (more so than the first two games combined) to keep people guessing.

Ah well, time to kill things in Lego Star Wars II...

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2006, 02:45:31 AM »

Quote from: "Demifiend"
Care to elaborate?

Well, outside of the general Xenosaga psuedophilosophy and whatnot ("I think humans are like waves!"), there was several cases where the characters didn't seem to be responding to each other in dialogues, but rather reading off a scripit. Okay, I suppose that's not the best way to describe it, but I think you understand what I mean. And most of the dialogue just doesn't sound natural at all.

*sighs*

I wish I could explain it better than that, but I can't.
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2006, 03:11:53 AM »

That explanation works just fine. I agree about the waves remark sucking- I think I snarled at that comment.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »

There are a couple silly lines and dialogues that I've noticed so far. Especially with all the crap towards Allen being in love with Shion. Just got to chapter 3 and having a good time so far.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

Just got to the end of Disc 1. Again I ask myself the question - what the fuck were they thinking removing all the blood and gore? The pivotal cutscene at the end of the disc wouldn't make any goddamn sense whatsoever to a player who didn't know that the cutscenes had been edited. Not to mention that the whole thing looked stupidly redicilious without the blood. Argh.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2006, 05:07:13 PM »

I have noticed that the game goes out of its way to inform you of every possible secret/special item you can find.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2006, 09:51:26 PM »

I'm taking back my opinion about the whole 'blood' topic. The very end of the game where
Code:
Wilhelm gets his arm chopped off

is totally awkward without blood. Now I know what you all have been talking about :P

By the way, does anyone know what you get for getting 100% completion on the Database (after talking to the one guy in the ES Dock)? I got to 99%, and I've been damn curious.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2006, 11:16:28 PM »

I'm really liking the game. Assides from the music and KOSMOS not being a badass with no regard for human life like in the first game it's vastly improved over the first two. First and foremost, the battle system no longer sucks. It's even enjoyable. Ether attacks are actually powerful and they fixed the horribly frustrating boost system from XSII(Which I rank as the worst battle system I'd ever played in a rpg, having to just sit there several rounds and get beat on most of the fight while you boost, since that's the only way to do worthwhile damage.) So now you've got good story and gameplay and they finally made a solid game. And almost as important as the gameplay changes, chaos found himself a decent pair of pants.

Oddly enough I haven't really noticed the bad dialouge people are talking about. Only thing that really stands out is Jr's 'Try again in ten years', though I don't find that so much bad as cliche. It's delivered well enough and it's certainly better than his old 'Sayonara, baby' catchphrase.

Of course I won't deny the existence of bad dialouge. I guess it's just that sci fi and bad dialouge go hand in hand, as such having seen enough sci fi I don't notice it anymore :P
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2006, 03:50:35 AM »

FLASHBACK TO EPISODE I- MUSIC CRITICISM

What I'm going to say is borderline heresy, but I'll just say it; I think that this is the best soundtrack out of all the Xenosaga series. I know Yasunori Mitsuda has a lot of fans, but I found his music in episode I to be either boring, typical "suspenseful", or completely absent (most of the game, except for Proto Merkabah and the Song of Nephilim where you just heard, well, ya know, over and over). Only three songs, the escape song as the Elsa reaches Second Miltia, and the two vocal pieces with Joanne Hogg (which I credit equally to her vocal talents), even stand out as memorable in my mind. In Xenosaga III, there are at least five that I really liked. Mitsuda isn't a bad composer, but I just don't see where all the pumping up of his episode I soundtrack comes from.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »

Chuggin along in chapter 6, I believe. I love MOMO in this game. She's actually very useful. Her special attacks are awesome.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2006, 02:52:40 PM »

The Professor and Scott are really pissing me off in this game. They really take the seriousness out of the whole series, as if Namco was trying to attract a more teenage audiance. Aside from that, loving it so far.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: