Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra  (Read 30017 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »

I am Uke. By the way, what I really mean is, someone who was born somewhere else, and lived there his own life, will miss some very importances intrincancies of another's Culture, no matter how much he studies, reads behind his DESK. You can't learn everything studying, you gotta live it too.
I used the example of Oswald Spengler, who was brilliant and very cultured, but missed a lot in his book "Decline of the West" when writing about us, our Soul, Culture and personality.
There are few more intelligent and more cultured than he was, and yet he failed totally.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »

This is true, you do need to 'live' the culture, yet I don't think it's utterly required if you're just writing to general accuracy. But like I said, don't imagine culture is homogenous. I mean even the Ukraine was once populated by Iranians, then got taken over by the Goths and so forth. Culture is shared, which allows us great inroads when we look for them.

In terms of Takahashi "getting" Christianity or any other religion perceived as "Western", it poses an interesting question: What if he's actually Christian himself? I know very little about Takahashi's personal life, but what if he is in the Christian minority of Japan? I don't think the rules of culture you're proposing apply at all in this context now that I think about it. I know Chinese Christians, raised in China. I also know Chinese Muslims, believe it or not, who are as knowledgeable about their faith as any Westerner. What's more is, these religions are not Western at all, but all born out of the Middle-East, which makes even our perception of them potentially distorted.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2006, 02:02:36 AM »

Thread resurrection!

First, Hidoshi, good points all around.

Second, I wanted to let the skeptics know that after posting my review, I've now received five *lengthy* emails from readers who all agree with what I had to say, especially in regards to the storyline.

Here's a little selection from one:

I'm a gamer (into RPGs mostly) and I gotta say i was extremely happy about the review you wrote at RPGfan. The first review posted a month or two ago, which got an 89% - i wasnt really a fan of that, especially since the review mentioned that the story aint special. After beating the game myself, i must say that ive never found myself agreeing with a reviewer on almost every level of his/her review - especially when u mentioned the story. Dude, like you, i actually enjoyed episode II a good lot, and kept thinking about what Episode III would bring to the story before its release. Reading your review felt like reading my own thoughts for the game, and i too found the story to be one of the best ive ever heard, if not the best, in my life. Kudos to a wonderful review (best review ive read, definitely) and im really glad u liked it Patrick!

This confirms my suspicion that, even if the fanbase is small, the fanbase is definitely die-hard loving the conclusion to the Xenosaga series. As well they should. Now that are friend Bogatyr is banned (at least temporarily), he can't continue to tell me that I'm wrong to call a videogame "art." So I'll sit back and continue to argue that Xenosaga is a work of art that transcends traditional categories by blending the works of old and gracefully adding many new things, and I'll also continue to say it's the best RPG of 2006, lest something should change my mind (it's doubtful).

Ramza

Barnacle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2006, 02:39:34 AM »

Work of art or not--I'll go with the former, X3 contains one of the boldest and most audacious stories I've ever come across.  It is deliriously good.  In whatever size or form, it is always a pleasure to be manipulated and enthralled with carefully crafted and skillful story.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2007, 04:06:35 AM »

ive been playing this game over the past few weeks and whiile i think the story is quite good and thought provoking(at one point i likend the U.M.N. to the internet and wondered if they were trying to say the internet is evil) it baffles me that over the course of 3 games they couldnt craft a fun battle system. the ES battles are fine and fun but the normal battles while no where near as bad as XSII are still bad. whats the point of knowing turn order if theres little you can do about it? in FFX knowing turn order was helpful because you could kill or incapacitate a monster before its turn. in this game you can break monsters but as you get farther into the game that becomes less helpful because chances are you wont be able to kill the other monsters before the broken monster recovers. several times i just got mad and said fuck this and just used Erde Kaiser to break all the monsters. why does the game still punish you for changing party members mid battle by sacking your turn? master skills should always be active instead of require an exuburant 99 ep to activate. they dont even last the whole battle. butmy biggest complaint about this game is.....MIYUKI IS AWESOME! a perverted collete how come she doesnt join your party on a permanent basis. who cares if shes a shion clone as soon as disc one ended i knew shion was gonna do something stupid.

Code:
i deffinately DID NOT hesitate to smite her when given the chance i finishing striked her ass XD

so far my favorite moment in the game was the final showdown with margulis. the music in that battle was so great i didnt want it to end.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »

Quote from: "Testament"
I have no faith left in the gameplay since they are going back to the Episode I formula, but it good to hear the the story is enjoyable.

I LOATHED ep.1's gameplay and so far find this game to be quite decent.  The battles are much more fast paced.  At least in the first 5hrs of the game.  

it's still dog on a leash syndrome though as far as exploration goes.

forumdrifter
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
ive been playing this game over the past few weeks and whiile i think the story is quite good and thought provoking(at one point i likend the U.M.N. to the internet and wondered if they were trying to say the internet is evil) it baffles me that over the course of 3 games they couldnt craft a fun battle system. the ES battles are fine and fun but the normal battles while no where near as bad as XSII are still bad. whats the point of knowing turn order if theres little you can do about it? in FFX knowing turn order was helpful because you could kill or incapacitate a monster before its turn. in this game you can break monsters but as you get farther into the game that becomes less helpful because chances are you wont be able to kill the other monsters before the broken monster recovers. several times i just got mad and said fuck this and just used Erde Kaiser to break all the monsters. why does the game still punish you for changing party members mid battle by sacking your turn? master skills should always be active instead of require an exuburant 99 ep to activate. they dont even last the whole battle. butmy biggest complaint about this game is.....MIYUKI IS AWESOME! a perverted collete how come she doesnt join your party on a permanent basis. who cares if shes a shion clone as soon as disc one ended i knew shion was gonna do something stupid.

Code:
i deffinately DID NOT hesitate to smite her when given the chance i finishing striked her ass XD

so far my favorite moment in the game was the final showdown with margulis. the music in that battle was so great i didnt want it to end.

i could barely end it at all!!!!!!!! ur right about the music and even more right about break XP i still havent beaten it im fighting kevin

cheesecake rox my sox =DDDDDD
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »

GREAT FIRST POST, BUMPING UP A LONG DEAD TOPIC FOR SOMETHING INSUBSTANTIAL!

I think even a welcome post would've been preferred over that. :P
forumdrifter
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
GREAT FIRST POST, BUMPING UP A LONG DEAD TOPIC FOR SOMETHING INSUBSTANTIAL!

I think even a welcome post would've been preferred over that. :P

only 1 i could find for a game i like so far
and i would like to start out my account with a bang

cheesecake rox my sox =DDDDDD
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »

I'm gonna have to make Eusis an official RPGFan Boards Guard Dog badge if he keeps scaring off all these people. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I'm gonna have to make Eusis an official RPGFan Boards Guard Dog badge if he keeps scaring off all these people. :P

Yes.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: