Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332913 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The future of Squeenix's GBA ports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The future of Squeenix's GBA ports  (Read 5411 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »

As reported by Gast, Final Fantasy V Advance and Final Fantasy VI Advance will be released on the GBA later this year.

Now, with all the major pre-PSX Final Fantasies having found a home on the GBA, what do you think the chances are of Squeenix porting some of their other SNES RPGs to the GBA? And when I say "some of their other", I am of course talking about Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. I would love to see these two games get a re-release on the GBA. I never had chance to own either of them for the SNES (I didn't have the money to buy SoM, and CT was never released in Europe to begin with), yet they remain two of my favourite games of all time. To be able to finally own - and play - these two games legit would be a dream come true for me.

Edit: Oh, and I'm aware that Chrono Trigger has already been re-released for the PSX. But, from what I understand, that port is far from perfect, with long loading times and whatnot.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »

If possible, I'd like to see SoM ported to the DS solely for the download play ability.  It'd be like playing back during the SNES days.

I also wouldn't mind seeing SD3 being ported.  I was never really sure why they never brought that over.  It's a blast to play.  I'm sure the chances of that happening are 0%, but i'd still like to see it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »

The funny thing is that Square Enix focuses its port and remake efforts only on a handful of titles (mostly Final Fantasy games, of course). With the Final Fantasy III remake appearing on the DS, each and every installment up to six has now been ported or remade at least once.

Theoretically they should be able to easily port the WonderSwan color remakes of Makaitoshi SaGa, Romancing SaGa and Front Mission to the GameBoy Advance as well.

The question is how long will they support the GameBoy Advance, before switching completely to the DS. Sure they probably would have have to put more effort into such a remake/port (added stylus and dual-screen support), but since the system is still selling insanely well in Japan and development costs are very low, it would present a viable alternative.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:12:56 AM »

I wouldn't mind a port of Secret of Evermore. I enjoyed that game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:15:16 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
I wouldn't mind a port of Secret of Evermore. I enjoyed that game.

The most I think you can hope for with that is SE cares /just/ enough to put it on the Virtual Console. It's probably one of the most likely to appear on that too, since there's probably zero incentive for them to ever properly re-release it.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:35:02 AM »

Considering they've already remade the first Seiken Densetsu game (that was Sword of Mana, right?), I'd love to see a port of SD 2 and 3.

Something that I'm wondering about the FF GBA ports: Are those going to be remade like FFIV was as well or would we be likely to see them remade like FFIII?  Not that I'm in love with the FFIII graphics or anything, but a part of my soul is still hoping for an in-game look similar to the FF Anthology PSX movies.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:42:48 AM »

Given they're GBA ports, expecting anything beyond FFIV's quality is absurd. It's either the quality FFIV got into being ported and lightly remade, or kept exactly the same - and the screens I saw seem to indicate those two will remain the same graphically. V may've looked slightly better, but VI looked the same.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:48:55 AM »

Ah well, it's still all good either way.  It was a fools hope, anyway.

That reminds me, I should pick up FFIV Advance at some point.  Just out of curiosity, how is the translation?  Is it the same as the PSX port or did they do another all new one.  Considering there is supposed to be new material, I'd expect all new work, but you'd never know.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:53:33 AM »

There's probably not enough new quality to make it worth retranslating more than the parts necessary, but they retranslated anyway. It's supposed to be the highest quality translation of all the releases, too.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 05:17:11 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
The funny thing is that Square Enix focuses its port and remake efforts only on a handful of titles (mostly Final Fantasy games, of course). With the Final Fantasy III remake appearing on the DS, each and every installment up to six has now been ported or remade at least once.

I have actually wondered why Squeenix hasn't ported more of its old SNES games over to the GBA. From what I understand, Chrono Trigger is one of their best selling titles after the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest series. And with the GBA pretty much being a handheld SNES, they should be able to turn a pretty nice proft on such a port.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 01:56:36 PM »

That's indeed true. The only non-Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games that have sold more copies than Chrono Trigger are Kingdom Hearts I and II. However, one has to consider that Chrono Trigger was only released in Japan and the US back in 1995 and remains the only non-Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest title in Square Enix's library to sell more than two million copies in Japan.

As far why they did not release a GameBoy Advance version of the game I don't know. Obviously it would sell in Japan and probably do reasonably well in the US and Europe, too. However, for Square Enix it is probably safer to focus on Final Fantasy ports, because the series' brand power simply is so strong.

Despite its status as arguably the most beloved RPG of its generation and big fanbase, keep in mind Chrono Trigger is a game that was released eleven years ago. The rather mediocre PlayStation port and Chrono Trigger were released in Japan seven years ago. The resulting lack of familiarity with the game or  the series among (current) casual gamers could be a possible reason for the lack of a GameBoy Advance port. Then again, Square back then revived the far less popular Hanjuku Hero on the WonderSwan Color as well, so who knows.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 02:02:28 PM »

An interesting note but SE I think barely touches the GBA ports of their games.  I know all the FF ports save FF4 for the ps1 have been ported by Tose, and all the GBA games are published by Nintendo.  Makes me think SE just gives Nintendo the ok to port or not.  If my assumption is true then this decision would be Nintendo's.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »

Isn't it pretty common that developers outsource their ports to other companies, though? I remember that article Eusis linked to a few months back, about this company that had worked on a lot of handheld ports, a few of them pretty high-profile.

As for Nintedo publishing the games... Well, I lack the insight to properly analyze what that that means in the bigger scope of things.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »

Cauton: Logick is right, Square Enix has next to nothing to do with the GBA ports.  At E3, whenever we asked a question about them, we were told that they were Nintendo's projects and we needed to go talk to them.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 03:06:23 PM »

Oh, that's interesting. Is it the same deal with Final Fantasy III for the DS?

Still, that shouldn't be any reason to keep them (them being either Nintendo or Squeenix) from pumping out ports of a few non-Final Fantasies.

Makes me wonder though - if Squeenix has such a good relationship with Nintendo that they let them port their flagship series over to the GBA, do you think this opens up the possibility of Squeenix games on the Wii's Virtual Console? I mean, so far we've only heard Nintendo speak about first party games and Sega/TurboGrafx titles, and next to nothing about third party titles.

A little off-topic, but hey.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: