Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The future of Squeenix's GBA ports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The future of Squeenix's GBA ports  (Read 5277 times)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 03:57:42 PM »

That's true for the US, but I'm pretty sure, the games are published by Square Enix itself in Japan. Hiromichi Tanaka is very involved in Final Fantasy III not only as producer, but also as director it seems, so that game obviously differs from those rather straight forward ports which are handled by Tose.
Fallen

Hitoshura+Chaos
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »

Well, if they don't have anything else FF to port to the GBA, would they stop?  Like, would they go ahead and start doing more outright remakes for the DS?    Or (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before) would they be better off porting the newer FF games (7-9) for the PSP?  Given the poor sales of the PSP when compared to the DS, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad move, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see straight/or slightly dumbed down ports myself.

(Personally I think remakes should be like Ys: Oath in Felghana, but that's just me)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »

Maybe they'll surprise us and remake Chrono Trigger for the DS.

...what? A guy can have his totally out there fantasies, can't he?

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:31 AM »

Quote from: "Fallen"
Well, if they don't have anything else FF to port to the GBA, would they stop?  Like, would they go ahead and start doing more outright remakes for the DS?    Or (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before) would they be better off porting the newer FF games (7-9) for the PSP?  Given the poor sales of the PSP when compared to the DS, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad move, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see straight/or slightly dumbed down ports myself.

Well, there is no need to release ports of PlayStation games for PlayStation Portable, since probably by the end of the year, users will apparently be able to download PlayStation games like Final Fantasy VII anyways. Also, if they end up remaking Final Fantasy VII, it will most likely appear on PlayStation 3, and not on PlayStation Portable. At least PlayStation Portable will receive its share of Final Fantasy VII with Crisis Core. Given the brand power of Final Fantasy VII, that game might as well become the system's most popular title when it's released.
Fallen

Hitoshura+Chaos
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 10:08:34 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Well, there is no need to release ports of PlayStation games for PlayStation Portable, since probably by the end of the year, users will apparently be able to download PlayStation games like Final Fantasy VII anyways.

I had forgot all about that =/

Well, my point about remakes stands though.  I think FFIII isn't such a bad thing, but I'm really not for continually re-releasing a game on various systems.  Either way after V and VI, they won't have any FF games to release on the GBA.  So then they will either have to (well not have to, but you know what I mean) release some of their other older RPGs on the GBA, or stop doing ports for it.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »

I had forgot all about that =/

Well, my point about remakes stands though.  I think FFIII isn't such a bad thing, but I'm really not for continually re-releasing a game on various systems.  Either way after V and VI, they won't have any FF games to release on the GBA.  So then they will either have to (well not have to, but you know what I mean) release some of their other older RPGs on the GBA, or stop doing ports for it.

Hey, there's always Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Or, as I like to call it, "Hey, the americans are too stupid to appreciate our fantastic RPGs so let's make a horrible travesty of a game and slap the Final Fantasy title on it and see if it sells". I think it's a catchy title.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »

I think "Final Fantasy for DUMMIES" works better.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 11:11:04 AM »

So then they will either have to (well not have to, but you know what I mean) release some of their other older RPGs on the GBA, or stop doing ports for it.

Like it or not, I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be the second choice. The GBA is at the end of it's life - those ports may very well be the system's last great games pending a US release of Mother 3. And with the virtual console, they can just casually throw less profitable titles on that to sell.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 12:17:21 AM »

Well, with all the FFs being ported to the GBA over here, at least no one will be able to say that we're missing a link anywhere in the FF chain now.  Well, excluding ROMs, but they're evil anyways.  :P

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 05:28:05 AM »

Hmmm... While I have enjoyed playing remakes of NES and SNES games that I never got to play, I think there are far too many rpg remakes on the gba - Golden Sun and Fire Emblem were about the only rpgs that weren't remakes (lucky they were good then). Now SE are just adding to that with letting Nintendo remake old FF games.

But, seeing as the handheld isn't dead yet (the gameboy took a good few years to run out of steam after the gba was released, if I remember rightly) it gives Square-Enix the opportunity to release more ports of old SNES games. I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to play SoM again on the gba, having played it on the SNES ages ago, but seeing as Nintendo never bothered to re-release Metroid 3 (the best of the lot in my opinion), it seems like it'll never happen.

And doesn't the Virtual Console make the gba obselete as a SNES-port-playing-machine? I think it would be more advantageous for SE to release games like SoM and the Chrono series on that, rather than going to the effort of making them for the gba. But then again, they could make more money off gba games than the small fee for downloading them to the Wii. Looks like the days of SqEnix's gba ports may not be over just yet...

Edit: Okay, it looks like I was wrong about the gba being a good few years away from death. I don't think downloading old PSOne games to the PSP will make it any popular, seeing as servants of satan have been doing that already with illegal ROMs for a good while now. Looks like the legal downloads for PSP is a move on Sony's part to stop this kind of piracy and to compete with Nintendo's Virtual Console. Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but earlier posts reminded me.

I think the Virtual Console is a very smart move for Nintendo, as it means that more 2nd and 3rd Party developers will remain loyal to them because they can obtain profit from their old games. It also means that European gamers can finally play games like Earthbound without having to sell their soul to the devil and download the abominations known as "ROMs", and games like Fire Emblem 6 to be translated so that non-japanese gamers can play them - now that's a game to be re-released on gba.

And, just so you know, I'm not actually religious, I'm just using Satan as an analogy for videogame piracy to make sure all rpg fans know it is highly evil, and you will be struck down by divine judgement if you even attempt to do so.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 05:37:30 AM »

Depends on how many Wiis Nintendo manage to sell. Nintendo has shipped 100 million GBAs and DSes (combined), and that is a lot. I will be a loooooooong while before that many Wiis have been sold. So untill that happens the handheld market will probably be more profitable, especially as you can charge $29.99-39.99 for a GBA/DS remake, compared to the $5.99-15.99 that Virtual Console games most likely will sell for.

And you know, they probably will release the games both on the handhelds and the Virtual Console.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 06:00:59 AM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Depends on how many Wiis Nintendo manage to sell. Nintendo has shipped 100 million GBAs and DSes (combined), and that is a lot. I will be a loooooooong while before that many Wiis have been sold. So untill that happens the handheld market will probably be more profitable, especially as you can charge $29.99-39.99 for a GBA/DS remake, compared to the $5.99-15.99 that Virtual Console games most likely will sell for.

And you know, they probably will release the games both on the handhelds and the Virtual Console.

But that depends on how the Wii kicks off. If Nintendo can market it well enough as a console for even non-gamers, then they may even surpass Sony as the most popular games company. I'm hoping that happens. :P

But I may not actually buy a Wii, because being disabled as I am, I don't think I'll actually be able to use the Wii controller for some games - Wario Ware, for instance would be impossible, but Metriod might be okay. I hope you'll be able to use a normal controller for all games, like you will be able to with Smash Bros. And the gamecube pad slots must have some purpose...

Edit: As I said on another thread, FF III on DS could show other rpg developers that you don't need any touch screen functionality to make a good game on the console. So maybe SE's (and other companies') old SNES games will end up on DS rather than gba, because they know people will buy them. Perhaps Leyviur's "totally out there fantasy" will actually happen...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: