Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite DS RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite DS RPG?  (Read 5648 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »

I support the Chrono Clause. Actually I just support bad puns.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

We should add a clause the user agreement on this board where the punishment for saying that Chrono Trigger is a terrible game is bannination.

While we're not a branch of the US Government, we try to protect free speech where possible. I'm much more willing to tolerate Chrono Trigger bashing than Westboro Baptist Church funeral protests, for example. :)

deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »

It's also a terrible game, but that's neither here nor there.

C'mon, why bother saying anything like that at all? Totally unnecessary.

Can't help myself.  I really don't like the game very much at all.

My friend, you are awesome- Chrono Trigger = most overrated Square game ever.  I just never saw what apparently everybody else does about it..
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »

We should add a clause the user agreement on this board where the punishment for saying that Chrono Trigger is a terrible game is bannination.

Name one thing about the game that was done well aside from the graphics.  The story is full of holes, the combat is poorly done, the characters are flatter than cardboard, the mechanics are sloppy, and there's plenty of other problems with the game.  It just looks and sounds pretty.

I only really get agitated about the game when it gets compared favorably to current games that are clearly better then it, and ESPECIALLY when there are people who complain about some Game X, and then turn around and praise CT even though it has the EXACT same problem.  (ex: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is a bad game because they eliminated random encounters by replacing them with unavoidable, visible ones while CT's visible enemies are a gift from God.  Except that, you know, 99% of the battles in CT are completely unavoidable.)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

1. What holes?

2. No, combat is not poorly done. It takes menu-based combat and integrates real time elements into it allowing for more tactical decisions than your standard SNES-era RPG. Plenty of games ave come after that did this better, but CT was one of the first.

3. Though the characters aren't very well-developed, they do have enough charm to be likable.

4. The mechanics are more-or-less identical to any SNES Square-era RPG, which set the standard for that and the following generation.

The thing is, you can't hold today's standards to games produced in different eras, it doesn't work that way. Chrono Trigger excelled as much as any top-tier SNES-RPG while looking and sounding better than most of them. Sounds like all the hype rubbed you the wrong way.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »

1. What holes?

2. No, combat is not poorly done. It takes menu-based combat and integrates real time elements into it allowing for more tactical decisions than your standard SNES-era RPG. Plenty of games ave come after that did this better, but CT was one of the first.

3. Though the characters aren't very well-developed, they do have enough charm to be likable.

4. The mechanics are more-or-less identical to any SNES Square-era RPG, which set the standard for that and the following generation.

The thing is, you can't hold today's standards to games produced in different eras, it doesn't work that way. Chrono Trigger excelled as much as any top-tier SNES-RPG while looking and sounding better than most of them. Sounds like all the hype rubbed you the wrong way.

I have to agree.  If anything the only problem the game has nowadays is age (its fifteen bloody years old) and overplay.  It was a title ahead of time (no pun intended...?) and was a joy to play.

The game was pretty on par with a lot of the best RPGs at the time, and still did some things better.  The time plot is a tough thing to execute, but I thought it was played out well here.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

1. What holes?

1: The better question is: where AREN'T there holes?  One fairly big one is how the Pendant gets passed down through the Zeal Royal Family tree even though the continent gets sunk and the Pendant gets lost at Sea.  Others have to do with the fact that the game acknowledges how changing things in the past affects the future durign the first quest, but then several fairly obvious things that would make sweeping changes but don't are never addressed.  There are more, but I'd have to actually play CT to remember them all, and I don't really care to.

2: The tech system is completely awful.  The entire reason for the real-time system to be in place was to make Dual/Triple techs possible, but they're all so weak that doing normal techs is almost always a better use of your turns, outside of a few dual techs that actually have useful AOE's(Most of which are picked up very early game, like Fire Whirl and Aura Whirl).  In addition, many techs are rendered completely obsolete because you can't move your characters in combat, and the fixed AOE makes them impossible to use.  It's all just poorly planned.

3: Eh, that's personal opinion.  What isn't is the fact that many of the CT characters have less character development then side characters from CC, a game that is commonly harped on for not having the "excellent character development" that Trigger has.  Baloney, I say.

4: See #2.

And this has little to do with holding the game to current standards (although the fact that so many people compare it FAVORABLY to current standards is part of what causes me headaches).  The game was certainly beautiful for it's time, but even back then a lot of the poor decisions regarding the gameplay stood out if you looked for them.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

The game was certainly beautiful for it's time, but even back then a lot of the poor decisions regarding the gameplay stood out if you looked for them.

Perhaps this is where you and I differ the most. You see, I don't look for reasons to dislike a game I spent my or even my parents money on. I even agree with a lot of your complaints, but I still never let them get to me and ruin an otherwise pleasurable experience.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:41 PM »

This is fucking stupid.

And I'm really, Really, REALLY tired of fanboys telling me I have to like a certain game.

And it's a port of a SNES game for the DS, not a game actually developed for the DS.

My favourite *real* DS rpg is SMT Strange Journey.

Name one thing about the game that was done well aside from the graphics.  

The soundtrack.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:30:12 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »

Lard, you're clearly incapable of detecting sarcasm. My original post was more of a joke because I don't recall ever seeing CT hate, at least not on these boards.

1. Regarding those alleged plotholes: the pendant thing is less of a concern for me. I don't care if a game spells every detail out in no uncertain terms, especially in the case of time travel where trying to create a linear thread through the story almost never works.

2. Still, despite not being a perfect system, it was a step away from menu-driven combat. I persoanlly didn't have the horrible experience you seem to have had.

3. Your third point compares games across generations, which despite being in the same series, really isn't a valid criticism.

4. Again, the mechanics aren't really different from any other Square SNES RPG, save the battle system. The basic gameplay is almost identical to FFVI, another title almost universally lauded from that era.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »

I thought there were a couple things that didn't make sense in the story, but seeing as how it is a time traveling RPG it really isn't avoidable IMO.  The story is more the lighthearted fun type anyway so I think you're missing the point if you're nitpicking story details too much.  

Also the game has Robo......and honestly who doesn't like Robo...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:48:31 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »

I'm more sad that a 15 year old port is better than new titles....

It is better, or are people nostalgic and clinging to a favorite? Well, the OP himself aside, though having nostalgia for that period means it's still a factor even if he didn't play it specifically then.

Alternatively: There will always be some games that are amazing and stand the test of time, but that doesn't mean there aren't new, great ones too. You could similarly say the best games to play on the Wii are the old SMB games and Super Metroid, but that doesn't change the fact NSMBWii's pretty good, the Galaxy titles are amazing, and Metroid... honestly, Prime 3 and Other M are still a lot of fun, even if they're some of the weaker post-Super Metroid entries. Then there's the other platforms like Kirby Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

And I'm going to not bother fully reading the CT argument and just point out arguing about that game's quality in this thread is stupid. Go ahead and make a new topic if you believe you guys can remain civil in it, but it was a statement by Gen that should've been brushed off, and in turn your responses would've been better left ignored by Gen (or at least not responded to in such a way to blatantly set off an argument).
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 05:02:13 AM »

mfw rpgfan is arguing about a 15 year old game again

never change guys

Let's just face it, in terms of traditional solid, "I'm an RPG" RPGs, the DS doesn't have much.

I assume by that you're talking about traditional JRPGs, and I can think of quite a few on the DS, actually. In addition to all the SE ports and originals (4 Heroes, etc), many anime adaptation games like Naruto or Bleach are pretty traditional JRPGs, there was Nostalgia a bit back, Pokemon games probably count, there was Suikoden, and the DS has lots of dungeon crawlers like The Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey.

As far as just traditional RPGs go, I think DQ9 was actually the best one I played, gameplay-wise. The things I found annoying with it might've just been things I find annoying about a lot of older RPGs, and not the game specifically (Though as Raze mentioned, a couple of the quests were just really stupid decisions). I think my problem is that I just don't feel the traditional RPG is very fun anymore- stuff like overworld maps, or hell, even turn-based combat to an extent, are things that were created because of technology limitations.

Not that the latter can't be done well, it's just that...well, I feel like using numbers are just used to give the illusion of strategy now, instead of actually having it- it's hard to implement hard battles without them just feeling cheap. Like, in the aforementioned DQ9, later bosses just have really high freaking critical hit rates, which appears to just ignore all your defense, making having a paladin around rather pointless, because you're just going to have to go around grinding your characters up until you have enough HP anyway.

On topic though, I think my pick for overall best RPG would be Suikoden Tierkreis, if I'm not allowed to pick the adventure games.
Sir_Dekar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »

My favorite RPGs of DS are:

- Suikoden Tierkreis
- Golden Sun Dark Dawn
- Glory of Heracles
- Chrono Trigger
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »

hathen wtf is your avatar from.

Anyway my favorite DS RPGs:

1. Dragon Quest 5 - maybe my favorite Dragon Quest game period, actually. The only downside is it's sort of easy although I may have inadvertantly power-levelled. I don't really find myself needing to play around with character skills and spells as much as I did in DQ7 and 8 basically.

2. Contact  - Yeah okay the combat's sort of goofy and hand's off but that doesn't bug me that much, since there's still strategy in terms of item usage and how you equip yourself. And the game's more about exploration and finding weird things to do, anyway.

3. Strange Journey - My love of this game kind of wained becaused, for an SMT game, it's actually really easy. Except for completely arbitrary and peculiar difficulty spikes, generally ranging from some kind-of-awkward design changes in the battle system. Also the dungeon designs aren't really on par with SMT:N's, although they're still better than SMT1 and 2 and the Persona games' dungeons. And it also pulls stupid crap like the hidden fuck-you door in Carina. Actually wait why am I listing this again.

Basically these are the only DS RPGs I actually play that frequently anyway. Actually I mostly just use my DS for Korg DS-10, Klonoa, and viva Pinata. Good god when did I get so boring.

Oh wait, TWEWY. That exists.

3. TWEWY - This is basically Square's best game that isn't Einhander or Saga 2.

I might include Devil Survivor but I quit playing it because I have really bad memories associated with the game. Not bad memories of the game (although motherfucking crash bug GRRR) but more like I got the game about a week before a series of events occurred that left me feeling emotionally dead for about half a year.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:53:19 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: