Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite DS RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite DS RPG?  (Read 5604 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:14 AM »

hathen wtf is your avatar from.

GO POST IN AVATAR TOPIC...populate it...lolz.

[/quote]
Anyway my favorite DS RPGs:

- Dragon Quest 5
- Contact (yeah okay the combat's sort of goofy but it's more about the exploration SHUT YOU)
- Strange Journey, I guess.
[/quote]

I feel like we're supposed to be filling this topic with a LIST.  But good games, let alone RPGs are few and far between.  Only a few I'd put here, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn is kinda good...kinda crappy... but it gets plopped on my Top 5 list for some reason.... other options aren't too appealing.

I might include Devil Survivor but I quit playing it because I have really bad memories associated with the game.

I hated the title...mainly because I draw better than the artist they hired, and found it really bad after being spoiled with fucken awesome SMT art prior.

But curious, what happened so shitty that it, by association, ruined a game?

I played TotAbyss to get over a break up.... but I still love Abyss! :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »

Devil Survivor had great writing and gameplay concepts.

It just failed in music and design.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

Sounds like it also failed in having stable code! Or at least MGF was unlucky in that regard.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »

Devil Survivor is an example that Atlus US is not as great as the fanboys claim. Apparently, the Japanese version did not have the seemingly random crashes (same story with Hexyz Force where in one place in the US version you had to fast forward the dialogue to avoid crashing.  The Japanese version was supposedly fine). Devil Survivor also had a few typos here and there and there was at least one dialogue part that wasn't translated at all...
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »

Just because they make mistakes and are human doesn't mean they aren't awesome people in general.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »

(same story with Hexyz Force where in one place in the US version you had to fast forward the dialogue to avoid crashing.  The Japanese version was supposedly fine)

what part of the game was this?  I got the creation ending with both characters and never had it crash
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:33:50 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »

The dude's path where you meet Gardner for the first time. UMD/newest official FW/PSP-2000. I know it crashed for other people at the exact same spot too.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 04:22:28 PM »

I'm more sad that a 15 year old port is better than new titles....
It is better, or are people nostalgic and clinging to a favorite?

I'm sure the latter happens, but no, it is better.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »

The dude's path where you meet Gardner for the first time. UMD/newest official FW/PSP-2000. I know it crashed for other people at the exact same spot too.

hmm I guess it is either because I have a psp 3000, or I just got lucky.  sucks for the ppl that happened to though
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »

Devil Survivor is an example that Atlus US is not as great as the fanboys claim. Apparently, the Japanese version did not have the seemingly random crashes (same story with Hexyz Force where in one place in the US version you had to fast forward the dialogue to avoid crashing.  The Japanese version was supposedly fine). Devil Survivor also had a few typos here and there and there was at least one dialogue part that wasn't translated at all...

Everyone mentions Devil Survivor crashing, but it's never happened in my game at all. I've gone through it 3 times and I'm on my 4th. It must have only happened to unlucky people who got a bad cart.

It didn't fail just because you didn't enjoy it. I think the music is excellent and fit the scenarios nicely.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:27:29 AM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »

Don't you think that if "everyone" talks about it crashing then maybe there's more to it than, presumably few, "unlucky people who got a bad cart"? Apparently the crashes have something to do with certain status effects, and they weren't that huge of a problem anyway (I think the game crashed on me only twice). But in any event, Atlus kinda messed up. Great game, though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:16:45 AM by supersonic » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »

Don't you think that if "everyone" talks about it crashing then maybe there's more to it than, presumably few, "unlucky people who got a bad cart"? Apparently the crashes have something to do with certain status effects, and they weren't that huge of a problem anyway (I think the game crashed on me only twice). But in any event, Atlus kinda messed up. Great game, though.

I don't know what causes the crash but it's never happened to me, so I can't say Atlus messed up. Besides, it's not actually Atlus who programs and develops these games, right? They only publish them.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I've never had my Devil Survivor cart crash either, but plenty here have, so obviously it's more than an unlucky few. In fact, I consider myself part of a lucky few. :P

My favourite DS RPG is still Strange Journey. Love the music, love the story, dungeons are a little grindy but I still manage to love it all nonetheless. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »

I don't know what causes the crash but it's never happened to me, so I can't say Atlus messed up. Besides, it's not actually Atlus who programs and develops these games, right? They only publish them.

Sometimes during the localization process it is possible to add glitches and things accidentally even if all they are doing is modifying text files or whatever most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:49:42 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

The best DS RPG I've played as of now is either The World Ends With You or 999 both of them had compelling stories and gameplay (although TWEWY obviously had better of the latter). 999 in particular kept me so engrossed that I powered through it and got all the endings in like 4 days--I couldn't get enough.

I wish I could have liked Suikoden Tierkreis, but it felt way too easy for my liking, the random battles were ridiculous and I would frequently not know where I was supposed to go. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey, too, didn't really appeal to me. The problem from my perspective is too much gameplay and not enough story or combat-free exploration, especially in Devil Survivor.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: