Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Game of the Year-2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Game of the Year-2010  (Read 4292 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 07:40:04 AM »

Give ARF more credit. It's much better than the load of shit that is Agarest and Cross Edge.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

Gonna say

1. Mass Effect 2
2. 999
3. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

(Not reflective of my tastes. Swap 1 and 3 and make Nier 3.)

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »

Give ARF more credit. It's much better than the load of shit that is Agarest and Cross Edge.

This.  Aside from the voices being a little off (which isn't really that bad anyway), the game isn't bad at all.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 04:48:22 PM »

Cross Edge came out last year.  I think you guys are thinking Trinity Universe?  Trinity Universe is a very different game than Cross Edge.

And even Agarest and Trinity Universe aren't the worst games released this year.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

Yeah, let's not forget Last Rebellion!  Now there is a game of the year...of some sort.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't think Last Rebellion was that bad?  It wasn't a good game by any means, but it wasn't terrible.  Now Mimana Iyar Chronicle and Grimoire Chronicle- those games were outright terrible. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't think Last Rebellion was that bad?  It wasn't a good game by any means, but it wasn't terrible.  Now Mimana Iyar Chronicle and Grimoire Chronicle- those games were outright terrible. 

I've got it sitting on my shelf, and really want to get around to trying it. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by it - and right now if it doesn't cause my PS3 to explode and kill my dog, it'd probably exceed expectations. It couldn't possibly be the worst game I've played in the last couple of years.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »

If it's not Mass Effect 2, there's something wrong. I understand some people might have some misplaced grudge against it because it's popular, and western, and a sure thing to win all sorts of awards. Thing is, it damn well deserves everything it gets. A great game is a great game whether it sells 10 copies or 3 million.
After playing it for 30 hours I feel Nier deserves a spot in the top 5 at least. Great game.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »

And here I am feeling sorry I missed out on both Mass Effect 2 and Neir when I had a chance to get them for cheap...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why do you all think a great game like Sakura Wars bombed? The failure of So Long, My Love pretty much doomed the series in the US.

It's not like it was a bad game(like Growlanser V) or had a bad localization(like Ar Tonelico 2). They did everything right.

So why did it fail?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why do you all think a great game like Sakura Wars bombed? The failure of So Long, My Love pretty much doomed the series in the US.

It's not like it was a bad game(like Growlanser V) or had a bad localization(like Ar Tonelico 2). They did everything right.

So why did it fail?
Well for one thing it was too much like a visual novel/date sim and not enough RPG for some people. Also enjoying the game relies heavily on whether you like the character archtypes or not. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but i can see why some people did not.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »

I'd argue that games like Sakura Wars failing has a lot to do with how jaded Western Culture has become to Japanese Gaming/Cuture elements in general. I mean not even 10-15 years ago people were practically eating up JRPG sterotypes because it was something new, something unlike what Western Culture had provided for quite some time. Those games flourished because it was a breath of fresh air for people; and I'm willing to bet if Sakura Wars were 10 years older we'd be thinking of it as one of the great classics with die-hard fanbases that lynch people for speaking against it.

These days people look at a lot of JRPG stuff and go "Oh...it's X, Y, and Z...again. Boring!" rather than analyzing it from a perspective of someone who has never experienced these things before. Granted this is kind of hard to do seeing as how pervasive Japanese culture made itself over here.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »

I don't think it bombed (It only "didn't reach expectations," after all), I just think NISA had their expectations set too high.  They said there were a lot of problems during localization, such as how expensive the Japanese voice track was to add, how there were very large amounts of text compared to most of their games - much higher than was initially expected, and how they had some problems with getting the rights to the game in the first place.  All of these would have raised the localization costs and when localization costs are higher, game sales expectations go up to make up for it.

It was also released after the PS2 is considered "dead" by many western gamers. That and NISA has some very whiny fans who refuse to buy their games without a Japanese voice option even if the English voices are good/great, so the Wii version they specifically developed for the west didn't go over particularly well.  I love NISA as a company, but their fans grate me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:23:57 PM by Cyril » Logged
zendzian

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »

This.  Aside from the voices being a little off (which isn't really that bad anyway), the game isn't bad at all.

I respectfully agree and disagree at the same time. The voices were more than a little off. They were horrendous and would have made the game unplayable for me if I wasn't able to turn them off. They don't even have the voice cast listed anywhere, it's that bad.

Voice acting aside, however, I actually did enjoy the game, especially the battle system.

Now as for my own predictions for the top three RPGs of the year:

1. Mass Effect 2 (never played it myself, but the way everyone keeps talking about it, I probably should)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (It's a given)
3. Fallout: New Vegas (seems like this series gets a lot of love too, so it should be up there)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »

... such as how expensive the Japanese voice track was to add...

This has me curious. Why is it hard/expensive to keep the original Japanese track? I mean in things like fansubs of both shows and games all people really seem to do is translate and then throw English text on top of it. Time consuming yes but if individual groups/people do this for no profit it seems odd that it should cost a company a nice chunk of change to do the same thing.

Or does it have to do with all those weird licensing issues I hear about between Japanese creators and Western producers?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: