Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332774 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Game of the Year-2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Game of the Year-2010  (Read 4367 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

I'm not too sure about Mass Effect 2. It is a great game. It sold a lot. I played / enjoyed it.
My problem though with it, is that it has no lasting appeal. Does anyone here still play it? Probably not.

Perhaps I'm too demanding =/

... such as how expensive the Japanese voice track was to add...
Or does it have to do with all those weird licensing issues I hear about between Japanese creators and Western producers?

As far as I know, you do have to pay the voices in Japanese when using them. It's something the voice acting studios do to roll in extra profit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:40:23 PM by Annubis » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »

That would explain it. The "weird" part I was referring to were stories/rumors I remember from ages ago when I caught snippets of anime/game news about stuff never making it over because the Japanese companies would charge ridiculous prices for rights to the vocal tracks for one reason or another.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »

No, the companies do have to pay extra for the Japanese voice acting.  I'm not sure where you've heard otherwise.

In Sakura Taisen's case they said it was difficult to add because, I quote:
The Sakura Wars series is known for including famous voice actors. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love is no exception. Were trying our best, Jack Niida, Marketing Manager, says hopefully. Its kind of like having a Hollywood star in a video game.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/05/nis-america-wants-to-keep-original-voices-for-sakura-wars/
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

The dub was fantastic. Haters to the left.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »

Just out of curiosity, why do you all think a great game like Sakura Wars bombed? The failure of So Long, My Love pretty much doomed the series in the US.

It's not like it was a bad game(like Growlanser V) or had a bad localization(like Ar Tonelico 2). They did everything right.

So why did it fail?

Growlanser V rules
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »

Re: Sakura Wars.  I think its sagging sales were due to timing.  It released in March- the month when FInal Fantasy XIII released.  Any RPG that releases the month of an FF game is pretty much doomed sales-wise.  For example, Thousand Arms and the brilliant Suikoden 2 were cast under FFVIII's shadow.  Sega too made a boneheaded decision to release Resonance of Fate the same month (even damn near the same day) as Final Fantasy XIII, so it suffered in sales too.  Too bad, because most folks would deem it superior to FFXIII. 

Had Sakura Wars not been released within the looming shadow of FF, it might have done better.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »

I think Gen pointed out that someone from Atlus posted on their forums that there's only so long you can delay a game before it isn't practical anymore. Admittedly Strange Journey (the game that prompted that comment) has the excuse of possibly being the first RPG announced for March, SE just went and announced their megaton within about two weeks of that announcement, and a release date the day before Strange Journey. But yeah, if some of those games were spread out over the next few months it'd have probably been better. I guess the realities of business and the financial year prevented what could've been a sound strategy being formed instead.

And it doesn't help for the dub/sub fiasco with Sakura Wars that Wii-only (or at least non-PS2) owners had been promised the subbed version only to not receive it.

Edit: Did some date checking.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:53:19 PM by Eusis » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »

I just realized I hadn't said my own predictions.  Since we all know RPGFan is all over SMT, here's how I think it will look.  I don't really agree with any of the choices, though, and if you prove me wrong I'd be very pleased.

1. ME2
2. Strange Journey
3. P3P

Also, just curious. What are you considering DA: Awakening?  It was released as a full game but it wasn't, not really. Because it would make me a very, very sad reader if that won awards.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »

Also, just curious. What are you considering DA: Awakening?  It was released as a full game but it wasn't, not really.

What do you mean by that?  From the beginning it was treated as an expansion pack.  And it certainly wasn't priced like a full game.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »

Yeah, my copy has 'Expansion Pack' in large capital letters at the top of the box.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »

DA: Awakening was scored and put into the GOTY discussion by the editors.

*spoiler alert*

It showed up as BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT on many of our individual lists.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Awakening ruled.

Good humor and it got right to the point. It also had better environments than the main game, imho
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »

1. ME2
2. Nier
3. Who the hell cares?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »

1. ME2
2. Nier
3. Who the hell cares?

Strange Journey, Dragon Quest IX, Ys, New Vegas, and P3P when factoring in heavily updated ports. Plus plenty of more that's legitimately great, it's only been a weak year in regards to console exclusive fare, and even then!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:50:18 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »

SMT Strange Journey
Last Window

Those are my three favourites.

I bought Nier online, but I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Handhelds really are the place for RPGs this gen aren't they.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: