Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 08:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Question for anyone with an iPad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question for anyone with an iPad  (Read 464 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »

Random question for any iPad owners out here.  I'm trying to figure out how much cash I need to save up if I want to get one.  Do you have any recommendations?  Here are my "parameters."

- I definitely just want the wi-fi version.
- I wouldn't keep my whole music library on there like I do with my iPod.  (I have 32 GB of music, which meant that I had to go with the 64 GB iPod Touch.) 
- I don't have a subscription to Netflix, although getting an iPad might change that.
- In case it matters, I use a Windows laptop, and that's not open to change.  (My employer provides the laptop.)
- My current driver for getting this is site-related more than anything.  Play games for review, you know?  But I'd really like it to be something that makes my life better, not just something I threw money at to play games on it.
- Honestly, they cost a lot, so I'd like to get the 16 GB version if that'll meet my needs, but I don't want to get the 16 GB version and then regret not having spent the extra for a bigger one.

I definitely won't have the money before March.  In fact, it might take as long as May.  But if you guys say "oh, don't bother if you're not getting 32 or 64 GB," I'll know that I have a long road ahead of me, or that maybe I should re-examine my wish list. 

I actually considered just buying an upgraded iPod Touch, but I already have a 3rd Gen.  Buying a 4th Gen seems like a waste.  So far, I've yet to have anyone who owns an iPad tell me it was a waste, and that's what makes me feel like spending the extra to get that instead of a new Touch.  Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 04:50:04 AM »

One bit of advice: If you get the money at March (or earlier somehow), WAIT. Apple loves their yearly updates, and I don't doubt we'd see a new iPad around April. It'd suck to buy it only for it to be obsolete in just a month, if not less.

Of course, that also means other advice here could just as easily fly out the window!
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

While I like being the only reviewer with an iPad, I heartily recommend it. After playing with my new one for the last week, I've found that the # of games that are good on the device is smaller - and primarily ports of other iOS games, it's a terrific device for media and casual computing. My laptop is also work-owned, and I've liked being able to do my own casual computing on a non-work device. For me, the only major hiccup is that there's not much ease of use in file use, or typing. Though I do plan on getting the keyboard dock one day.

But yeah, as far as games go - since there are so few iPad exclusives, don't get it just as a gaming system. That seems like a waste of cash for versions of games that you'll already get for your touch. But if you could be using it for other things, it's definitely worth the investment. Oh, and the netflix investment is truly awesome if you'd be watching alone (like during travel) and are into tv shows that are available on instant queue.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: