Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 06:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327318 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Further Exploration - The New Feature
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Further Exploration - The New Feature  (Read 5010 times)
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

I just wanted to post a thread to see if anyone wanted to offer any feedback on our new Further Exploration feature - where many of the staff members tackled the games they'd like to see rebooted, sequeled, or prequeled. It'd be great to see what our readers think of features like this - do you want to see more of this kind of content? Is there something that you wish we'd covered?

As always, thanks for reading.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »

Not going to lie, seeing Anachronox got a chuckle out of me.

I haven't played any FFT games, but are the newer ones unsatisfactory or something?

The FF6 thing was funny but silly.

I had no idea Xenogears was planned out that way. What a fucking tragedy, the Xeno series are. So much damn potential, it's like the Shenmue of PSX RPGs.

A lot of the other ideas were decent, some of those games just need solid sequels though.

My issue is that I don't believe that the Japanese development industry really has the heart or the talent to do justice to the games of yesteryear with new sequels. There's a whole new generation of shitty developers in Japan these days, large teams run by enormous corporations, or incredibly budgeted handheld RPG creators.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34:58 PM »

I wouldn't expect any of these to come to fruition.  It's purely wishful thinking on our part. 

I think the amusing part about Anachronox is that I didn't do it:P

I approve of this nonsense!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

I haven't played any FFT games, but are the newer ones unsatisfactory or something?

It's interesting, we actually listed two games in our "Further Explorations" feature that take place in the same universe (Ivalice). They are, of course, FFT and Vagrant Story. These are almost without question the best games in all of the Ivalice universe. They're also the first two games to be made for that universe.

FFT Advance and A2 threw out the dark, heady story of the original FFT. The gameplay remains, for the most part, intact. But the mood and atmosphere created by the story really kills it for a lot of people.

FFXII and FFXII Revenant Wings ... I won't even touch that.

I think when people say "I want a true sequel to FFT" what they're really saying is "please bring back Ramza." Which is totally cool with me.

As for Vagrant Story ... that one is just OBVIOUS. What a great game. And it's left open-ended. Ashley Riot has plenty more to do! :)

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

I believe that FFTA is not considered truly part of Ivalice since the world in that game is imagined from a book.  I am also playing FFXII right now and I have to say that I am actually really enjoying it quite a bit.  I really think they captured the atmosphere pretty well.  It's nowhere as dark as FFT or Vagrant Story, but in my opinion that is perfectly alright.  It does a good job with what they wanted to do.  To be honest, I'm happy with Ramza never coming back and his story simply being secured as a part of Ivalice.  FFT was so neatly wrapped up that to make a new story with him would be cheap in my opinion.  I don't think that any story they ever write with Ramza in it will ever live up to FFT and they know it.  I do agree with the feature though that the others' stories could be explored rather nicely.  I also agree that I'd like to see Vagrant Story and FFXII tied together with FFT in some way that goes beyond simply being in Ivalice.  We'll see what SE does though because it seems that they really do intend to further develop Ivalice.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »

I would love to see a prequel to The Legend of Dragoon.  It would be awesome to see the Dragon Campaign played out.  Imagine the rise of the original Dragoons and their back stories, the rise and fall of Melbu Frahma and the Winglies, and an improved battle system with more techniques, all on a next-gen console.

With Xenogears, all I'd like is a remake with a "complete" second disk story, made for a next-gen console.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »

I would love to see a prequel to The Legend of Dragoon.  It would be awesome to see the Dragon Campaign played out.  Imagine the rise of the original Dragoons and their back stories, the rise and fall of Melbu Frahma and the Winglies, and an improved battle system with more techniques, all on a next-gen console.

this

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:18:13 AM »

I am also playing FFXII right now and I have to say that I am actually really enjoying it quite a bit. I really think they captured the atmosphere pretty well.

I really enjoyed FFXII too. It probably is my favourite Final Fantasy game in terms of gameplay. I loved the combat. Unfortunately it probably has the worst characters and my least favourite story.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »

I was loving FFXII for the first twenty hours, but I "solved" the battle system pretty quickly and never really had a challenge the whole way through.  The game just kinda turned into an autopilot run.  Also, I'm glad to see that someone else thinks the story is lame.  Everyone talks about the political intrigue and focus on outside events, but they never impact the actual gameplay.  You're still exploring dungeons and acting as the resistance, which doesn't help to make this game stand out.  I really wish Matsuno had been allowed to complete the game and add some more variety to the title. 
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

I really wish Matsuno had been allowed to complete the game

He chose to leave. I understand there were time constraints, but I blame Matsuno for the disaster that was FFXII's non-ending.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

this

this

You could make an awesome system to go with that. Airship? we don't need no airship! Characters can fly wherever they need to go. That way, if you want random encounters, go on the ground. If not, just fly where you want to go.

As said, the ending would be a bit... depressing, BUT it can end on a nice note with Rose staying alive.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »

I would love to see a prequel to The Legend of Dragoon.  It would be awesome to see the Dragon Campaign played out.  Imagine the rise of the original Dragoons and their back stories, the rise and fall of Melbu Frahma and the Winglies, and an improved battle system with more techniques, all on a next-gen console.

this

this

You could make an awesome system to go with that. Airship? we don't need no airship! Characters can fly wherever they need to go. That way, if you want random encounters, go on the ground. If not, just fly where you want to go.

As said, the ending would be a bit... depressing, BUT it can end on a nice note with Rose staying alive.

You know what?  This.

I think that it would be a nice touch to be able to tame each Dragoon's dragon.  Once you tame them to a certain level, you'll be able learn techniques from them and eventually even ride on them. Imagine if you are able to summon your dragon in battle (ala FFX) and be able to do certain team up attacks with them.  Of course I'd have the ability to summon as the final ability you learn with Dragon taming.  

I also think that an ending like that would be epic!  It would be a definite departure from most RPG endings.

I'm glad you guys gave some feedback.  I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope some talented developers will look at some of the ideas on this board.  They could make a KILLING!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:09:34 PM by Zadok83 » Logged
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks that about Dragoon.  I've been saying that for a long time.

I approve of this nonsense!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

I agree about Dragoon.
I could only see Episode 6 of Perfect Works taking place a few thousand years after Xenogears:
Code:
Eldridge finds Kos-Mos shortly after Xenosaga, floating out in space and fixes her up (now Miang) while the Eldridge is carrying survivors back to Lost Jerusalem and crash lands because of Deus.
I had a lot more to put but I forgot most of it and It has been a while since I played it.
Anything between gears and saga could be explained in flashbacks, like with Episode 4.
Thinking back, I like Saga most.
Xenogears is a little overrated considering that it seems to forget most characters completely once their story arcs finish (Rico, Maria, Billy, and a bunch of NPCs without arcs and/or lacking backstory like Jesiah, Tolone, Seraphita, Hammer, Captain, Kelvena, Dominia, Alice, and those Gebler dorks) even though it feels like it wants to give them at least a decent amount of development but tries to do a little too much.
I thought Saga and Gears had equally good battles, except Gears was tedious because of the whole random battle trend at that time.
Compared to Xenosaga, Xenogears seems like it lacks a soul.
I love both though.
Legend of Dragoon I've only gotten to Grand Jewel and gave up (a long time ago) because it was too frustrating and got to just barely starting disc 2 and memory card stopped working.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »

That's sad re: LoD man. Disc 1 is easily the worst part of that game. Disc 2 has some awesome content, and then the last half is epic.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: