Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 01:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327153 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recettear has sold over 100,000+ copies, Chantelise coming this year.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Recettear has sold over 100,000+ copies, Chantelise coming this year.  (Read 2454 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »

http://www.carpefulgur.com/

The Dream Soars:

Today we have another annoucement to make.

Recettear: An Item's Shop's Tale has continued to sell since our previous announcement. At this point, we can therefore announce...

That Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale has sold over one hundred thousand copies as of this date.

This means... well, it means a whole lot of things, really. Andrew Dice's blog post about this event covers most of the more pertinent points.

We at Carpe Fulgur would still like to thank everyone who made this possible - the distributors who supported us ceaselessly, the news outlets who continued to give us attention, and most of all, the fans who continued to buy our product (we know a fair number of you gifted the game around whatnot) and spread the word about this humble little shop simulator we localized. Without you, we wouldn't be here today, and we wouldn't be in a position to bring you more great titles in 2011.

Happy New Year, everyone. The coming year looks bright, and it's all thanks to you.

from Andrew Dice's blog post:

Above all else, 100,000 copies of Recettear sold proves that the market for imported indie games (not to mention Japanese-style RPGs on the PC) isn't just there, it's famished for content, and that Carpe Fulgur knows how to serve that market (occasional bundle-deal-related silliness aside, of course). We've already gotten comments from developers in Japan to the effect of "we've heard of you and we'd like to work with you"; now we're an even bigger known quantity. One hundred thousand copies mean that Carpe Fulgur's future looks bright, and that means that everyone can look forward to a number of great titles in 2011 and beyond.

Like, for example, our worldwide release of Chantelise.

Happy New Year, everyone. Here's to a very good 2011.

Chantelise official website: http://egs-soft.info/product/chantelise/chantelise.html

Hardcore Gamer 101 article of Chantelise: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/chantelise/chantelise.htm
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:07 AM »

If reasonable I'm probably going to buy this closer to release than not to make up for getting Recettear in the Steam bundle; I'd have been fine buying it at the Christmas discount price anyway if the bundle didn't exist.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »

I hope this starts a movement for PC only RPGs to get localized on steam.

There's soo much potential. God damn.

I just want a Touhou Complete Pack >_>
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:14:47 AM »

I wish them the best after bringing over a great game. But how many indie games are going to have a cool concept like Recettear or awesome gameplay like a(For a non-CF example) cave story? I've tried Chantelise. It made me carsick, which games haven't did since mid nineties first person shooters. But that aside, it just made me want to play Dark Cloud 2, a similar, but much better game.

Recettears gimmick sold the game. Chantelise might sell some for 'from the makers of recettear', but if people are disappointed with it like I think they'll be what then?
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »

O.o I'm so glad they sold so many! That's a terrific step not just for indie games, imports, etc. But also for anti-piracy. I'm sure tons of people downloaded it illegally too, but it's fantastic so many people really did support it.

And I like the look of Chantelise. Looks like it'll be right up my alley.

beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:55:54 AM »

Great news. I hope this means good things for English-speaking JRPG fans and that they find more success in the future.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »

At the very least, Chantelise has good music. The game reminds me of Dewprism (aka "Threads of Fate") from Square. And I'm cool with that.

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »

Recettear might have been a hit, but I wouldn't call the market 'starved' for indie games.

It's more like Recettear had just the right coponents that made one want to play, play, play and play some more.
It offers constant challenges and 'rewards' overcoming obstacles and never really gets dull and boring.

Chantelise appears interesting going by the description but as a lover of character design and artwork, I instantly felt myself bristling at the design of the main characters.

Elise looks a lot like a changed Recette.
Chante like the other fairy did.

Thought they obviously modified the looks, it's easily recognizable and gives good reason to put me a bit off. I might try a demo again and see if it manages to convince me like Recettear did.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »

Chantelise was made before Recettear, right?
If so, it's a bit of a bummer to know it'll probably look worst, which is weird when the second game introduced to you does (think Deus Ex 2)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:43:28 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »

Yeah, Chantelise was made before Recettear and is a straight-up action RPG.  I reviewed the soundtrack and liked it a lot.

I approve of this nonsense!
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

I wish them the best after bringing over a great game. But how many indie games are going to have a cool concept like Recettear or awesome gameplay like a(For a non-CF example) cave story? I've tried Chantelise. It made me carsick, which games haven't did since mid nineties first person shooters. But that aside, it just made me want to play Dark Cloud 2, a similar, but much better game.

Recettears gimmick sold the game. Chantelise might sell some for 'from the makers of recettear', but if people are disappointed with it like I think they'll be what then?
You bring up a good point. I bought Recettear and yet to play it, but from what I've read I know it's my type of game. I kind of wish that they localized a game that was a bit more interesting in concept and design. As it stands now, I have no interest in Chantelise. I hope Carpe Fulgur picks up more titles to localize during the time they are doing Chantelise. I don't see much success if this is "THE" title that they expect to gain the success of Receatter.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »

I wonder if CF will get into console publishing.
I'd also like Touhou, but wish it was a console game.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »

I wonder if CF will get into console publishing.
I'd also like Touhou, but wish it was a console game.

You can buy the Touhou games pretty easily and cheaply online. Realistically there's not a whole lot to actually translate, and even then the story isn't that great/important.

I picked up a few while I was in Japan and they're certainly enjoyable, there's probably a surprisingly large market that would buy them in the west if they were translated and released. I just wish there was a save feature. I know it's an arcade shooter but ut's so damn long and gets so hard.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »

Are you kidding? The Touhou characters/story/fandom is like 75% of the popularity of the series.

Other 20% being Hentai, 5% being actual gameplay.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »

Are you kidding? The Touhou characters/story/fandom is like 75% of the popularity of the series.

Other 20% being Hentai, 5% being actual gameplay.

I didn't say anything about it being unpopular. I said it wasn't great or overly important to the game. It's simply important to the fan and doujin works that are based on it. And I'd definitely argue with your percentages.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: