Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Selling games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Selling games  (Read 1771 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »

Do you ever do it?

I was just looking through the list of recently released and upcoming PS2/GBA/DS games and was once again struck by just how many great looking games are coming out soon. And the only way I could possibly afford them all is by either 1) Get a job (highly unlikely scenario!) or 2) Sell off some of my other games.

But even though there are a lot of games in my possession that I just don't care much for or, for whatever reason, am never going to play again, I just can't bring myself to sell any of them.

Games like Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, Grandia 3, Phantom Brave, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and Wild Arms 3 have been collecting dust in my game shelf for a LONG time now, yet I can't stand the thought of parting with them.

I guess part of it comes just from the joy of collecting. The games just look good there on my shelf. I guess I take some perverse pride in my game collection, meager as it is.

Also, there's that nagging thought of "What if I sell it, and then later find out that I want to play that game again?" Even though I know that I most likely will pick any of these games again.

So, whats your stance on selling games in your collection? Are you like me, and hold on to the games even though you've already completed them, or do you beat them once and then sell them to be able to afford something new?
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:26:19 PM »

Yeah, I sell or trade them away. Mostly games that I don't particularly like or know that I will ever play again. I'm not going to part ways with, say, Xenogears or Suikoden II, but if it's something I barely played because it didn't appeal to me, I'll let that go so that I may acquire something new.

And if I ever would like to obtain a game that I got rid of, there's always ebay. I highly doubt many of these games will be valued at $100+ anytime soon.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:09:23 PM »

I never sell my games.  But then again, I only buy games I know I'll be interested in or may be worth something later on.  I own all the Suikodens, but I'd never sell them because it's one of my favorite series.

I have a bad habit of collecting stuff.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »

I sold a whole bunch of my rarest video games (domestics and imports) on Ebay to buy a bass amp a few years back.  

I'm so happy I sold the games.  I was accumulating a backlog to the point where it felt like playing games was a chore and going through the backlog felt like work.  Games should never feel like work.  

Selling off a ton of my games a few years back was one of the best things I could have done.

EDIT: But I refuse to sell anything related to Ever 17 and/or related to KID's Infinity series.  That's my favorite series and Ever 17 is my favorite video game of all time.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »

I have sold tons of games over the last decade. Recently I have been thinking about unloading several PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games I won't play anymore, but since I only own US and Japanese games, it is always hard to sell them for reasonable prices here in Europe (in particular if a PAL version of said game exists). So far I have been too lazy to sell try and them on the American eBay. When I was in Japan the last time, I took the opportunity to sell half a dozen Saturn, PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games.

For me it is not about financing the purchase of new games, since I don't buy a lot of games anymore these days. However, if I don't like a game (Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Star Ocean Second Story, Legend of Legaia, Shadow Hearts 2 Director's Cut, etc.) or see stuff dusting on my shelf forever, knowing I won't play this or that game anymore, then I try to sell it.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 06:58:02 PM »

I sell everything I don't play anymore.  I have slowly been finding myself less interested in gaming.  I had quite a big collection, every newly released system with at least 6-8 games for each one.  And I am now down to my PS2 and 4 games.  Honestly after FFXII and Xenosaga 3...I'll probably sell off the rest of what I have.  I try not to think too hard on all those what if's.  Makes it much easier.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »

We hog about everything we get - games typically either get lost, or broken (not too frequent, though many PSX discs have some serious scratches). We however DID let go of my copy of Luigi's Mansion, and my brother's copy of Kessen 2 - neither of us liked Kessen 2, and Luigi's Mansion, while it was moderately enjoyable, is one of the games I have the lowest incentive to ever replay. The money from these two games went to my brother getting Metroid Prime.

Too many games are either A. too cheap to be worth anything (I figure), B. too rare for me to want to let got at all, or C. too damn good to let go of.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »

I don't usually sell my games.  I can only think of two times I did.

Once, I sold a couple to get extra cash so I could buy a PS2.

Second time was out of frustration in the bonus dungeon in SO2.  I sold it, only to buy it again off ebay a couple months later.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 05:02:04 AM »

I recently sold a whole bunch of my rare games collection. I enjoyed having them, but knew that I wouldn't play any of them. (I wanted to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, but my Saturn was so fucked up that it was too much of a pain in the arse to try). So, I sold them to get the money, and because I knew that other people would get more enjoyment from them than I was.

Newer games I keep hold of, because there's more chance of me playing them again. Also, some hold great memories, so I keep them as a reminder.

I only sell new games if I've just bought them, and they suck balls, then I trade them straight back, or take them back on Game's 10-Day Guarantee.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 07:54:43 PM »

Grandia 3? I have no problems selling that shit as long as I get a good price. My collection is based on quality, not quantity. I'd rather have one shelf of great games that I'm proud of owning than two shelves including games I didn't really like.

Oh, and not to start an argument, quality = my enjoyment.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

In my entire lifetime, I think I've only sold three games, which were Battle Hunter, Spyro: (insert spinoff name here), and Breath of Fire IV, the latter of which I bought again :P

I just don't really like seeing my collection diminish, I guess. It's always fun to just sit down in front of my little storage container and look at all of my games' (back)covers, and just remember all of the events that happened in them, and how much fun I had.

If I don't have enough cash to buy a new game, so be it. I'll scrape some money together and buy it on eBay if I have to, but I'd never sell anything that I already have.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »

I always trade in my games unless I absolutely fall in the love with it.  I just like having them around so I can gaze upon them and reminisce about the fun times.  Okay so I don't really do that nor do I replay them.  I just have a hard time parting with a quality game.  All the other games I part with for money and shelf space.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 02:19:28 PM »

I'm currently in the process of selling about all my games to get money for my suddenly diminishing college fund. My collection is, in layman's terms, the equivilant of a cheap $10 whore. I'm disappointed.

I will never, ever part with my Suikoden collection though.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

I'll sell a game if I think it's beneficial to do so. If I feel as though I'll ever be inclined to pick it up again, I won't sell it, because it's a pain in the ass to go back to the store and buy it again (Did this with Xenosaga, Wild Arms 3 and Grandia Xtreme).

Like Ash, I will never, ever sell anything Suikoden related.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: