Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 05:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327395 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Awards Lists are amusing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Awards Lists are amusing  (Read 2111 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

OK, so I have a thing for Top Ten(5, 25, 100, etc) lists and End of Year awards and all that.
I've been perusing some lists and thought we could talk about them, as well as discuss our own NON-rpg favorites of the past year.
a Few links:
http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/
They seem to have a sick obsession with Red Dead Redemption. I think it's silly that they have platform awards but give the same game the award! There should be some kind of platform exclusive award as well.

http://bestof.ign.com/
I don't like how they seem to lack the cajones to give an overall Game Of the Year Award. It's all by system. Then there's the ridiculous 360 and Wii original soundtrack award winners. WTF?!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3182823
I like their simple, more personal approach. Kinda like the Fans.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/114/1141516p1.html
I like theirs probably the best. It's less convoluted, and the awards are spread out over a number of worthy games.

Thoughts after reading all this stuff:
I need to play Heavy Rain
I still have no interest in Red Dead Redemption
Nier was shafted in the soundtrack categories
Hell, did anyone even PLAY Nier?
Forgot about Darksiders. Yet another game I still want to play.

My favorite non-rpgs of the year:
Limbo
God of War III
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Discuss...

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

I award FF13 the 'most likely to float if tossed out the window into a pond' award. The oversimplification of the game and lack of content against other RPGs should diminish its mass enough to offer great flotation capabilities.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »

I bought a move and heavy rain yesterday just because the game is on every friggin' list, it better be good.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

I need to play Heavy Rain

No, you don't.

I still have no interest in Red Dead Redemption

If you are able to get the game for a decent price, buy it and give it a chance. And if you really liked the game get the Undead Nightmare.

Forgot about Darksiders. Yet another game I still want to play.

The guys of GiantBomb said that Darksiders is pretty much a mature Zelda game, so yeah.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »

I bought a move and heavy rain yesterday just because the game is on every friggin' list, it better be good.

Play it without Move.  Really.  It's 100% better with the original controls.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

Heavy Rain is an amazing game-- keeping in mind that the label 'game' is used loosely here. I didn't like it at first but a few hours into the story and I was in love. It's like a 10-hour interactive movie with a damn solid story.

Also been playing Red Dead Redemption with my bro. Liked it, even enough for us to get Undead Nightmare. It's addictive and the main character is likable. I can see why a lot of these sites have brought it up on their lists.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

Those websites need to have awards split up into games that have have a chance to win (Mass Effect, Red Dead, Halo, Super Mario Galaxy) and games that have no chance at all with that system it has now (Meat Boy, Vanquish, Nier, VC2, Resonance of Fate, DQ9)
look through comments, I notice a lot of people talking about having only voting on most popular ones.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »

For some reason I can't stand most of the review staff at 1up. I tried watching some of their video features and they seem like giant douches. But I like reading reviews there and I like the way they picked their tops for the year.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »

Heavy Rain, with it's "child in peril" story, and adventure game like style, looks like something I would really get into. Few things horrify a parent more than losing their child. The dang thing refuses to go down in price, though.

I don't care how good RDR may be, I just can't do the western thing for that long. I'll make an exception for a 2 hour movie like True Grit or something, but not a video game.

I was looking at Giant Bombs site, but could only find days 3-6. Seemed really random anyway, so whatever.

The guys of GiantBomb said that Darksiders is pretty much a mature Zelda game, so yeah.
*drools*

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »

http://bestof.ign.com/
I don't like how they seem to lack the cajones to give an overall Game Of the Year Award. It's all by system. Then there's the ridiculous 360 and Wii original soundtrack award winners. WTF?!

Quote from: IGN
What's the better horror game, Heavy Rain or Alan Wake? Is Super Mario Galaxy 2 a better sequel then Mass Effect 2? What game made the best use of zombies? These are important questions, ones we will answer when we reveal our overall award winners January 14, 2011. Be sure to vote for our Readers' Choice Awards, which will be unveiled the same day.

So, yeah, it's more a matter of waiting as usual.

Anyways, Giant Bomb has theirs, though given how it doesn't link nicely from Day 1 through Day 6 I'm just going to leave the headlines URL there. Also Jeremy Parish has his own seperate 2010 write-up in addition to what was in the 1up story and... geez, I'm kind of dreading going through Golden Sun. Ys seven's narrative was kind of enjoyable in a popcorn kind of way, I was engaged JUST enough to not mind the cutscenes, but in comparison Golden Sun's come off as binging on rice cakes or some other bland, flavorless food. Maybe that's just the early part of the game, but even that's in dire need of some trimming, if not outright hacking.

As for Darksiders: more like an adolescent Zelda! The New York Times review of Nier likened that to an adult Zelda, and while it's further apart gameplay-wise, narrative and overall feel-wise it really is a better example of a truly mature game of that type.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:24:45 PM by Eusis » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »

I'm confused.
Why did Sony publish Heavy Rain (being called an interactive movie) but restricts visual novels being published?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

I was looking at Giant Bombs site, but could only find days 3-6. Seemed really random anyway, so whatever.

Giant Bomb (and friends) GOTY 2010 Awards

Mass something 2.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

I'm confused.
Why did Sony publish Heavy Rain (being called an interactive movie) but restricts visual novels being published?

Changing stances and/or the fact Heavy Rain's something that tries to simulate a movie or TV show rather than a book, and by association is a higher end, more demanding game.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

Play it without Move.  Really.  It's 100% better with the original controls.

Hm, I'm not sure about that, at least for some of things you have to do it feels more natural, you actually do the gestures the character is doing. Like the drawing at the start of the game, you have to draw those lines with the move as the character draws them in the game. Or when you rotate something, you have to do the same movement with your wrist that you would do in real life.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »

I look at it this way.

Personally I think Minecraft was one of the best games of the year, but it's not really winning any awards (outside of like IGF stuff). So on one hand that's sort of lame.

On the other hand Notch has made a fuckload of money and didn't have to become a soulless code monkey to do so.

So, really, Halo: Reach wins some year end award. How much do you think some anonymous programmer or asset dude cares about that? The people that get the accolades are the high-level "game "designers"" who aren't really doing jack.

This is one of the reasons the big-name game industry is getting sort of silly !!!1

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: