Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 03:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335315 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The "N" Word
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The "N" Word  (Read 3518 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »

This is stupid. Mark Twain is a good writer who had an ear for the American idiom, which at that point in time included the word n.i.g.g.e.r.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:51:06 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »

I don't think too many people are going to disagree that the fact that this is being brought up as an issue is kind of silly. It's probably overly sensitive and I think it is generally a bad idea to mess with art because a lot of times art simply is not supposed to be safe anyway.

But faced with the very real prospect that Huck Finn won't make it back into a classroom because of a word that has accumulated decades of baggage that Twain could not possibly have anticipated, I'd prefer changing it for something else and seeing kids get a chance to read it in school as opposed to not.

There are more important themes that can be explored in Huck Finn aside from just why he uses a certain word, important themes about race, humanity, and relationships that it would be a shame to lose simply because people are unwilling to compromise. It sucks, but my personal opinion is it is a very small price to pay compared to what is lost otherwise.

EDIT: Not that it matters but my guess is Twain would find the entire situation equal parts amusing and depressing, since that's kind of how he regarded most things. :-)

This.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »

I love GENIAL MEMBER OF ETHNIC GROUPS THAT ORIGINATE IN THE AFRICAN CONTINENT OR CLOSEBY THEREINs.

EDIT:  Glad to see my filter is still there. :P

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »

The only thing I know about How To Kill a Mockingbird is this: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/mockingbird

I read all posts from OP up to this post. Then I had to quote it for emphasis. This is one of the funniest videos of all time... OF ALL TIME! /kanye

Seriously, I friggin' love that vid. Even my mom thinks it's funny, and she's usually not one to understand "our" humor ('net humor, etc).

Anyway, I think everything I wanted to say was covered by Yeager. Short version:

1) censorship is stupid, BUT

2) so are parents and school boards that have banned Huck Finn for the past however-many decades because of one word, THUS

3) creating a censored version so that this fantastic novel can still be taught in schools is better than not having the book taught at all. Lesser of two evils.

ALSO,

4) when the kids get older they'll find out the truth. If you never read the book, you don't care. But if you read and LIKE the book and then find out at 18 that you were dicked out of the true experience because your parents sheltered you, it builds resentment towards DUMB authority and censorship. And that's a win. ESPECIALLY considering the use of the n-word in Mark Twain helps to emphasize the ignorance and bias of those using it (yes, even Huck, who requires some time to get to know Jim).

Word.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »

When reading aloud in class, this immensely uncomfortable aura would set in when the N-word was read, and it was because there was only one black kid in our class (I am half black, so everyone thought I was native american) and we suddenly had to worry and wonder about him.  Is he going to cry?  Is he going to laugh?  How will he react?  He was friends with everybody, nobody ever even considered his race... it was pointless.  He sat there perfectly silently, staring into his book, as if nothing was happening.  Was nothing happening?

I remember a girl once replacing the word "bigot" with "jerk" and commenting on it, as if THAT were the line you don't cross.

Do people really only learn this shit IN school?  If removing the N-word prevents uncomfortable squirms like I described, then good.  

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »

How come stuff I don't want to see never gets censored?

If me and my friends were as paranoid and small-minded as half these people, Snooki & Justin Bieber would just be giant walking black lines.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:45 AM »

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain

There!

/thread

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

Well, I have to ask myself, "What would Twain do?" Then I realize he's an iconoclastic mofo who would have faught tooth and nail to keep "n**ger" in there out of spite for censorship, damn the consiquences. After all, isn't that what made him great in the first place?

If I had to pick two characters in history to put together for a dinner conversation, it would probably be Mark Twain and Frank Zappa. That would have been a sight to see!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »

Good thing they're keeping GENIAL MEMBER OF ETHNIC GROUPS THAT ORIGINATE IN THE AFRICAN CONTINENT OR CLOSEBY THEREIN out of my schools.

And Indian Joe instead of Injun Joe is far more politically correct.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

Lmao RPGFan, literally more censorship than these people we're criticizing.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »

I think the difference is that this is a forum and we are discussing and conversing with each other. This isn't a work of art, so we don't get to enjoy the same leniences.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »

I had no idea the freedom to say what you want was a leniency.

Disclaimer: I know this is a privately owned forum and the first amendment doesn't apply to it, don't go off on me.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »

I'm not American, I don't know much about your constitution i'm afraid.

I guess it's a bit like painting Graffiti. Do whatever you want to your own walls, just don't go to some strangers and paint theirs.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »

It IS kinda funny (odd?) that in a discussion about the word, we can't SAY the word we're discussing. We very will could be talking about nincompoops or ninnies.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: