Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327449 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Import Friendly Japanese Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Import Friendly Japanese Games  (Read 6498 times)
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »

I'm going to Asia for two weeks and will spend a few days in Tokyo.  Are there any JRPGs or other Japanese games that never came out in the West) that are import friendly? I don't speak a word of Japanese. I guess it would be hard to find an import friendly JRPG given the amount of text they have, but maybe something that already has english language option? I believe Demon's Souls was like that. Thanks
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »

It was the mainland asian version of Demon's Souls that had English text - there are quite a few games like this, like Risen or other games that originally came from the west.  In regards to actual Japanese titles, there are just about 0 RPGs that are import friendly for someone with 0 Japanese skill.  That being said, however, there are lots of games that are import-friendly outside of those genres.

Like scrolling shooters?  Just about any of them are great, since there's usually only one or two menus.  Same goes for fighting games.

What you do want to make sure about, however, is your console's ability to play import titles.

The following consoles are Region Free:

PSP
PS3
Nintendo DS

The Xbox 360 is PARTIALLY region free (depends on the piece of software) and the Wii is completely region-coded.  Check Play-Asia.com for any Xbox 360 game you're interested in, as they have a pretty comprehensive list of what works on what region.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Superheroes.  I have less than zero Japanese skill and I got just about everything in the game no problem.  And it IS worth getting in addition to the US version, since the game was completely rebalanced, had one character cut, and all the character endings are different between the US and JPN versions.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »

It's also worth noting that Japanese publishers almost always region lock their games on the 360. Pretty asinine given they have a natural barrier of a hard to learn language, but there are a few Cave shooters that experimented with leaving it off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »

Fist of the North Star International

http://www.play-asia.com/Hokuto_Musou_International/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-3zy3.html

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

RPGs, I can only think of a few obvious ones (from Squeenix) like SO international although we got that one, FF international, and KH final mix.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »

RPGs, I can only think of a few obvious ones (from Squeenix) like SO international although we got that one, FF international, and KH final mix.

...or racers and fighters. =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ALUCARDfromHELLSING

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »

My first game for psp was Jp. copy of Ridge Racers. You don't need to know Japanese to play games like that. As for rpg I can recommend Breath of Fire III for psp. I have European version for psp, but I was able to beat Japanese version on PSone, so doubt you'll have any troubles with psp version, since it's exactly the same.

It was also re-released as CapKore in Japan so you can get it for $24 (I'm sure even cheaper in Japan).
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-1pfv.html

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

I just can't see the point in playing an RPG in a language you don't understand.  Sure there are examples out there that are simple enough you can probably stumble your way through, but for me the story is a major part of most RPGs and you're just not going to be able to appreciate it that way.  I import RPGs sometimes but I actually understand some Japanese.  And I feel I just don't know how to answer this question.

And as other's have said, there are plenty of non-RPGs that don't really have much in the way of story that should be a lot more accessible.  But that category is almost too big if I don't know what kind of genres you are interested in.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »

Actually, some games DO have indepth translation guides, so something like the first two Sakura Wars on PSP are about as import friendly as you can get without English text actually being present.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »

My first game for psp was Jp. copy of Ridge Racers. You don't need to know Japanese to play games like that. As for rpg I can recommend Breath of Fire III for psp. I have European version for psp, but I was able to beat Japanese version on PSone, so doubt you'll have any troubles with psp version, since it's exactly the same.

It was also re-released as CapKore in Japan so you can get it for $24 (I'm sure even cheaper in Japan).
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-1pfv.html

The Euro version can be found on Amazon.com for $30, for those looking for this in English.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »

Speaking as someone who does import JP RPGs, if you don't speak a word of Japanese then they're all going to be inaccessible to you. The RPGs are probably the hardest genre to understand without knowledge of the language.

I would recommend to you a game called Jump Ultimate Stars. It's a 2D fighting game similar to Super Smash Bros. It is tons of fun, one of the best games I've played on DS, and is pretty import friendly.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »

You can get by in JRPGs if you know the Chinese characters well enough. Helps me when I don't understand some of the words.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »

You can get by in JRPGs if you know the Chinese characters well enough. Helps me when I don't understand some of the words.

Except that for those of use who didn't grow up with Chinese characters that's the hardest part of the whole language...

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »

If you've ever played an SRW game then you already know everything you need to know about Queen's Blade PSP as it's basically SRW but with giant tits in place of giant robots.

Add Queen's Gate to that once it comes out.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:59:13 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: