Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:39:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319209 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Import Friendly Japanese Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Import Friendly Japanese Games  (Read 5956 times)
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »

Sometimes you can get the basic gist of what's happening in the story from the cutscenes or graphics in rpgs even if you can't understand what they're saying... Plus, yeah, a lot of times there are faqs that explain some of the story and how to play them. But yeah, despite a lot of import rpgs being playable with a faq, they're not the most import-friendly genre..
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan has a good guide on Gamefaqs and the cut scenes are subbed on Youtube.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

You can get by in JRPGs if you know the Chinese characters well enough. Helps me when I don't understand some of the words.

Except that for those of use who didn't grow up with Chinese characters that's the hardest part of the whole language...

I didn't grow up with them either, so that's not an excuse.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »

Namco X Capcom for PS2 is relatively playable but not horrifically fun. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Ouendan 2 for DS are awesome rhythm games and while they have text, there's also pictures so they're easy to understand. Apparently there was a PS2 remake of NiGHTS that I wanted to get when I was in Japan but I couldn't track it down anywhere. Then there's versions of games that came out here but got extra editions in Japanese, such as most of the PS2 Final Fantasy games, of which the international versions have English voice acting but Japanese menus.

Tales games, in my opinion, can still be relatively fun in Japanese because the combat is so fun, so that gives Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Destiny Remake, Tales of Phantasia X and PS3 Tales of Vesperia and probably more as possible purchases, but you'll need a story guide to understand them.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »

Tales games, in my opinion, can still be relatively fun in Japanese because the combat is so fun, so that gives Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Destiny Remake, Tales of Phantasia X and PS3 Tales of Vesperia and probably more as possible purchases, but you'll need a story guide to understand them.

As someone who frequently imports JP Tales games I was highly advise against it for someone who doesn't know any of the language. I agree the combat is fun but would you really want to wade through hours and hours of text you can't understand for it? I don't think so. Playing them with a guide would help, but it's not really an ideal experience if you have to sit with the guide the entire time you play.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »

Puyo puyo titles

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »

As someone who frequently imports JP Tales games I was highly advise against it for someone who doesn't know any of the language. I agree the combat is fun but would you really want to wade through hours and hours of text you can't understand for it? I don't think so. Playing them with a guide would help, but it's not really an ideal experience if you have to sit with the guide the entire time you play.

I'd mostly agree with you, but some people are patient enough to look through a guide. I've played through a few Japanese RPGs (Vay, Grandia, Lunar Walking School) and I've only really used a faq a couple of times. Then again, I have some Japanese experience and can at least read Katakana, which helps a lot with menus.

I'm going to attempt this again with Tales of Graces F. One thing that helps this time around (though I might be spoiled) is there's a lot of walkthroughs, and even a translation of 1/3rd of the game via youtube. God I love youtube.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »

RPGs, I can only think of a few obvious ones (from Squeenix) like SO international although we got that one, FF international, and KH final mix.

...or racers and fighters. =/

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

So in the end I didn't pick up anything in Japan. I thought about getting Soma Bringer, 7th Dragon and Tales of Phantasia PSP but figured I would be better of spending my money on games that I can actually understand....My visit to Akihabara definitely made me realize just how much stuff never makes its way to the West. Of course I knew that before, but seeing all those games was kinda painful actually.

One thing I found interesting was how heavily certain Western games are being promoted there, most notably Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, and also, to a lesser extent, Mass Effect and Gears of War.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »

So in the end I didn't pick up anything in Japan. I thought about getting Soma Bringer, 7th Dragon and Tales of Phantasia PSP but figured I would be better of spending my money on games that I can actually understand....My visit to Akihabara definitely made me realize just how much stuff never makes its way to the West. Of course I knew that before, but seeing all those games was kinda painful actually.

One thing I found interesting was how heavily certain Western games are being promoted there, most notably Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, and also, to a lesser extent, Mass Effect and Gears of War.

RPGs in general are a bad idea for imports. *Maybe* I would have done ToP, but its only because I've played ToP like 8 times prior to a JPN one.
There is an english version of Soma Bringer...somewhere... out there.  Thanks to non-profit efforts.  Cool game, but simple.  A sort of level-up of Secret of Mana but with a far worse magic system.  I don't know how to describe it anymore beyond that.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »

I thought about getting Soma Bringer, 7th Dragon

Poor 7th Dragon :( You'll never come to the US now. It's a damn shame.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »

I thought about getting Soma Bringer, 7th Dragon

Poor 7th Dragon :( You'll never come to the US now. It's a damn shame.

It'd require the most amazing turn around of luck now. :/
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »

For tales game, it should be evaluated on a case by case basis.  For example, Tales of Destiny DC remake on ps2 is definitely playable (I have done it) with a plot translation guide online (English).  Tales of Vesperia ps3 version is playable if you follow xbox walkthroughs.    Other tales games that not localized in English?  Maybe not so much. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: