Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 06:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338700 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age: Origins, Collector's or Ultimate Edition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins, Collector's or Ultimate Edition?  (Read 1904 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:32:37 AM »

I need a little help here guys.

I found a store that has both version of the game on sale, but now I don't know what version to buy. The Collector's Edition is a good package overall but the Ultimate Edition has all the 7 DLC Packs and the expansion.

So, what's best in your opinion?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:41:11 AM »

Unless you really want all DLC possible (and you'd be missing out on pre-order stuff anyway) or want those extras, just get ultimate. That, or if you can find the Collector's for $10 or whatever, then buy Ultimate later when you find a good deal, sorta like I ended up doing with the Steam sale!

Also, I have no idea how good the making of DVD is, but the soundtrack can be bought separately on Amazon, iTunes, and probably several others places so don't let that be a factor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:51:06 AM by Eusis » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »

Yeah it was 20 bucks during the Steam Sale for the Ultimate Edition. Feels good man.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »

What made me sad is that the soundtracks don't have all of the songs.  Two or three key songs weren't released on any official soundtrack.  Two of my favorite battle songs just happen to be omitted.

Looking at those prices for the Collector's Edition, I'd say it's probably not worth it.  I didn't find it to be a particularly good collector's Edition, and you get a lot more, for around the same price, if you go with Ultimate.

Though rather than Ultimate I'd recommend just picking up vanilla and maybe Awakening, then picking and choosing your DLC, since some of the DLC isn't particularly good.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »

Though rather than Ultimate I'd recommend just picking up vanilla and maybe Awakening, then picking and choosing your DLC, since some of the DLC isn't particularly good.

Did you see the prices on Amazon? Just getting Vanilla on consoles it's probably good advice, but otherwise I can't see why he shouldn't just jump with the Ultimate.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:27 AM »

Wow, vanilla is expensive. I got it for $30 after Christmas in 2009. I was expecting it to be maybe $15-20 right now, since I recently bought ME2 for $10.  Okay, yeah, for that price you might as well get Ultimate unless you can get vanilla for a good price.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »

Get the Ultimate Edition.I have the Collectors Edition and it wasn't very special.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »

So, it seems that the Ultimate Edition is the better choice. More content in the game for a low price and what not.

I'll see if I can can get the Collector's Edition later though, but with so many games to buy this year I really doubt that I'll get the chance to buy it (thanks to Deus Ex 3 and StarCraft II specially).

Anyways, thanks for the help guys! :)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »

giod I love Dragon Age....

but my hero looked like an absolute toolbag. He kind of looked like Tim Allen in heavy plate
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/search/?keywords=dragon+age

$20 for PC Ultimate Edition today only until 4pm

Base game is 10, digital deluxe is like 13.

Console version of the Ultimate Edition is about $26

enjoy guys
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »

Neither, I thought the game was an absolute bore.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »

Mass Effect 2 PC is also only $12.50 :O
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »

I guess a game with a decent story, entertaining dialog, and various approaches to both the story and combat would be boring, right?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

I guess a game with a decent story, entertaining dialog, and various approaches to both the story and combat would be boring, right?
The dialogue and characters are what saved it from being boring for me. The story was blah, and the locales were pretty uninteresting. Plus, I spent way too much time in menus.
All told, I enjoyed it, but I'm hoping the new makes some pretty drastic changes.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »

Given he's actively interested in getting the game I don't think this means much to him.

Though I must admit I tend to find the dungeon parts tend to feel like they dragged on too much. At the least I really felt this way about the Sacred Urn quest and the Mage's Tower (though what cropped up halfway through that contributed too).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: