Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 12:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331871 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Xenogears is finally getting the orchestral treatment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Xenogears is finally getting the orchestral treatment  (Read 2865 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »

I just checked iTunes and it looks like its not the complete orchestral album.  This has happened numerous times by iTunes.  Why are they not uploading the complete albums now?  This happened with another Mitsuda album.  Good thing I bought the physical copy instead as thats the only way I buy albums anyways.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »

Got it, but not my physical copy yet (He ripped it and sent it to me). Here are my base impressions after listening to it once.
First, while expected, it's not as exotic or ethnic as Cried.  I'd say this is a bad thing, since Cried was interesting simply because of the ethnic sounds, voices, and instruments.

80% of the album choices would be exactly what I would chosen for an Orchestral track.  Pretty much all of my favorite songs are here.  The only thing it's missing is Grahf: Emperor of Darkness and Omen.  This is both a good thing and a bad thing, because that makes me touchy on the subject.

Certain songs feel like improvements. The Wind Calls to Shevat is in my opinion the best piece on the album and it feels like everything the original tried to be. Other improvements include: The Beginning of the End, Faraway Promise, The Jewel that Cannot be Stolen, Lost. . .Broken Shards.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Stage of Death in the first place, but I do have to admit this version is much improved.

Other songs actually feel like they've lost some of the power  of the original, but are still good songs.  Just different. These include Flight, In a Prison of Remorse and Contentment, October Mermaid, Light from the Netherworld.
In a Prison of Remorse and Contentment needs elaboration because it's not as you'd expect.  It's almost completely vocal.  It's different, and I'm not sure I like it.  On my first listen I could only really define the tune at 1:30 or so.  But at the same time, while I miss the instrumentation of the original, it feels like a church Choir, which is entirely the point, since it's used as a theme not only for Nisan's Sophia but also for Ethos and Pre-War events.  I can see why the decision was made for it to be vocal, but I don't have to like it.

Songs I actually feel took a downgrade:
Bonds of Sea and Fire, My Village is Number One, Small Two of Pieces.  Bonds of Sea and Fire taking a downgrade is practically a crime.

I'm undecided on Nisan's theme, The Gentle Breeze Sings.  This was such an amazing piece in the original and while this version isn't bad in particular, it just doesn't live up to the original.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:56:08 PM by Cyril » Logged
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »

Got it, but not my physical copy yet (He ripped it and sent it to me). Here are my base impressions after listening to it once.
First, while expected, it's not as exotic or ethnic as Cried.  I'd say this is a bad thing, since Cried was interesting simply because of the ethnic sounds, voices, and instruments.

80% of the album choices would be exactly what I would chosen for an Orchestral track.  Pretty much all of my favorite songs are here.  The only thing it's missing is Grahf: Emperor of Darkness and Omen.  This is both a good thing and a bad thing, because that makes me touchy on the subject.

Certain songs feel like improvements. The Wind Calls to Shevat is in my opinion the best piece on the album and it feels like everything the original tried to be. Other improvements include: The Beginning of the End, Faraway Promise, The Jewel that Cannot be Stolen, Lost. . .Broken Shards.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Stage of Death in the first place, but I do have to admit this version is much improved.

Other songs actually feel like they've lost some of the power  of the original, but are still good songs.  Just different. These include Flight, In a Prison of Remorse and Contentment, October Mermaid, Light from the Netherworld.
In a Prison of Remorse and Contentment needs elaboration because it's not as you'd expect.  It's almost completely vocal.  It's different, and I'm not sure I like it.  On my first listen I could only really define the tune at 1:30 or so.  But at the same time, while I miss the instrumentation of the original, it feels like a church Choir, which is entirely the point, since it's used as a theme not only for Nisan's Sophia but also for Ethos and Pre-War events.  I can see why the decision was made for it to be vocal, but I don't have to like it.

Songs I actually feel took a downgrade:
Bonds of Sea and Fire, My Village is Number One, Small Two of Pieces.  Bonds of Sea and Fire taking a downgrade is practically a crime.

I'm undecided on Nisan's theme, The Gentle Breeze Sings.  This was such an amazing piece in the original and while this version isn't bad in particular, it just doesn't live up to the original.

Thanks for the information!  I hope we hear something on the Chrono Cross arranged album very soon :)

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: