Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:04:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319176 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan's Games of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's Games of the Year  (Read 4370 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »

With ME2 I keep wondering where that line between what is and what isn't an RPG is.

That said, gotta lol at P3P tying the PSP runner up category with Y's 3. Nothing otherwise to say except that what the fuck is Golden Sun doing in the DS runner up category? It's basically Golden Sun: The Next Generation right down to the exact same 'go buy part 2' ending, and I can guarantee you that when part 2 comes along you'll find out that your part 1 party were propagating the destruction of the world by hindering the guys who are actually trying to fix it and the rest of the plot threads from part 1 will be completely forgotten. DQIX or Lufia: CotS both would've been better choices in my opinion.

Everything else though is exactly as I suspected (except the Wii, but fuck the Wii). Both SMTs won out on two different categories, Mass Effect 2 was considered enough of an RPG, New Vegas and Nier both got their props, and Y's Seven won top PSP for being completely awesome (even the plot which is something that I should hate for being as predictable as it is but can't for some reason) otherwise it would have gone to P3P.

Gotta say though, 2010 was both one of the most hyped and most underwhelming years in RPG history.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »

Pretty cool awards.  Glad the Ys games got some (personally I like Seven better).  I'm just sad that none of the lists had Infinite Space on them.  I am pretty baffled at Golden Sun DD getting the runner up award for DS as well.  The game treats the player like a stupid child.

also kudos to Dennis's "Best 2009 RPG I've played in 2010" for Half Minute Hero.  would win in that category for me as well
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:29:54 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

Personally, I thought this years awards were a bit underwhelming. I read through it all, and kinda did a "That was it?"
I think you need more categories. I know we can get that elsewhere, but I'd like to see the Fan people do it. Best story, graphics, music, battle system, etc. Maybe some more "fun" awards like what Neal did.
I know some of the individual editors do this, but I would prefer it be a site thing, not just an editor thing.
Just my opinion, of course. I still enjoy reading them. Thanks!

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »

I agree with ME2 being rpg of the year. Hell, it's game of the year. Since there's no ME2 on PS3, Nier was definitely the way to go, so yeah, I agree with the choices.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

I really need to grab copies of Nier and Heavy Rain.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

Even back when I was a reader, I hardly looked at the sitewide awards.  I was always more interested to read the various editors' picks.  I guess that's why I like to put in a little extra on mine.  Normally I'll have my top 5 and my disappointment, but 2010 was begging for my shits 'n giggles award... and even then, FF13 only got runner up:P 

I approve of this nonsense!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »

Nier you can find cheap.  Heavy Rain is about as expensive as it was in Day 1 - even used.
Heavy Rain was an awesome experience though - it looked brilliant and only suffered two major issues (voice acting was a bit odd at times, and several plot holes or "wtf? ...ok I guess").  It's probably one of the best looking games as well (though, the REAL Madisson is a fucking bomb shell compared to the cardboard face in-game version of her)
clicky here.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »

to start a time old argument about what is or is not an RPG...how come Heavy Rain was mentioned but not Red Dead? I've only played the demo of Heavy Rain but that gave me a solid feel for the game in general. But if that is considered an RPG then surely Red Dead can be if you look at it a certain way.

I'm not crapping on your list at all, just looking for some polite conversation

DISCUSS

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »

I don't know about RDR, but Heavy Rain is a graphic adventure. That's the feel I got from the demo, on the other hand I've never even looked at Redemption.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »

how come Heavy Rain was mentioned but not Red Dead?

... Did you even pay attention to the category's title before you posted? Or the description for it? RPGFan's covered graphic adventures for quite awhile, and Heavy Rain's similar enough to that style of game. Red Dead's pretty far from being like either, especially graphic adventures.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »

Nier you can find cheap.  Heavy Rain is about as expensive as it was in Day 1 - even used.

Which is why, as much as I want to play the full game, I still don't own it.

Have to say I was pretty awful at the demo (you'd think all that experience with God of War and QTEs would help my ass out), but I loved the concept.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Heavy Rain is a graphic adventure, no doubt about it. You should definitely try it if you're looking for something different, the game is pretty intense and your actions can make a huge difference, the lifes of the characters depend on how good you are at playing the game, if a character dies the game doesn't ask you if you want to retry, it continues and adjusts the story accordingly. Games in general definitely need more of this. Wouldn't it be cool if Elena could die when you're playing Uncharted if you couldn't protect her during a gunfight?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »

Friggin' Heavy Rain needs to go down in price already. I'm betting after all the year end awards that they would get a big sales jump if they did. Damn thing is almost a year old.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »

Heavy Rain is a graphic adventure, no doubt about it. You should definitely try it if you're looking for something different, the game is pretty intense and your actions can make a huge difference, the lifes of the characters depend on how good you are at playing the game, if a character dies the game doesn't ask you if you want to retry, it continues and adjusts the story accordingly. Games in general definitely need more of this. Wouldn't it be cool if Elena could die when you're playing Uncharted if you couldn't protect her during a gunfight?

I'd like this for games where Mieu (TotA) exists, Vanille exists (FF13), the greater half of SO4's cast exists, Tim exists (WA2), some peeps from Suikoden's 1-5 exists, where Tidus exists (FF10), Genis exists (ToS), where Vaan exists (FF12), where Sora exists (KH), Shirley exists (ToL), the Cha family exists (CC), where Justin exists (Grandia), and where Lunar characters exist...amongst others.  But hey.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »

I'd like this for games where Mieu (TotA) exists, Vanille exists (FF13), the greater half of SO4's cast exists, Tim exists (WA2), some peeps from Suikoden's 1-5 exists, where Tidus exists (FF10), Genis exists (ToS), where Vaan exists (FF12), where Sora exists (KH), Shirley exists (ToL), the Cha family exists (CC), where Justin exists (Grandia), and where Lunar characters exist...amongst others.  But hey.

I'm not saying I want it to kill characters I don't like, I love Elena, it just gives you that feeling that your actions matter you know? Right now when you find yourself in that kind of situation you think "if I can't rescue that character in time I'll just have to try again". But it would be a lot better if you knew that a character you like could disappear from the game if you screw up. Truth be told that this happens in mass effect, but it's through choices, not because you didn't have the skill to overcome a gameplay challenge like in heavy rain, like winning a fight or getting out of a car before it's crushed by a shredder.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: