Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 07:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340839 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Poetry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poetry  (Read 2802 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »

I'm wondering if there are any lovers of poetry here.  I've been getting into it more and more (but it's something that tends to be a bit harder for me to digest).  Just looking for some recs outside of the well known authors.  Been working on a short story where poetry is pretty central and I thought I should read some more.  Most recent authors I've read (and liked) are:

Robert Creeley - a friend got me a big collection of his, 1975-2005, and I really like it.)
Pier Paolo Passolini - that same friend worked on a translation project of Passolini that included essays, and poetry so I picked up that book
Kamau Brathwaite - Read his book Ancestors.  Really fantastic stuff.
Allen Ginsberg - I've got the Howl, City Lights book.
Gloria Anzaldua - Her book Borderlands/La Frontera.

Probably want to focus more on recent American poetry.  I know of people like Corso, and Snyder, but I guess I'm asking for any specific collections/books that people would recommend for a poetry neophyte.  Thanks.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »

I do enjoy reading poetry but I'm rather out of touch with contemporary authors. Seamus Heaney is supposed to be quite good, I suppose you can try reading some of his stuff. He has written quite a lot though so you may want to read a few from different chronological collections to see if you like his work.

There's usually a copy of Palgrave's "Golden Treasury" on my bedside table. It's an excellent collection of classic poetry. I also recently picked up a collection of "childhood" poetry-- not nursery rhymes but a solid compilation of poems touching on childhood as a theme. Includes both classic as well as contemporary poets. I like to buy compilations based on themes because I'm usually using them as research for something (which is why I'm terrible with the names of the poets).

Sorry if I don't have anything else to add, I'm still a novice when it comes to these things. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »

Predatory by Glenn Shaheen. Forthcoming from U of Pittsburgh Press this fall. Look up some of his work online - a lot of it is really accessible to a "poetry neophyte" like yourself.

Other good, under-the-radar authors are Phillip Ischy and Martin Rock.

The three of these guys have a bunch of publications under their belts - and are all really talented.

My favorite of the "big" poets is probably Charles Simic. His simplicity is really endearing. But I also like Ginsberg, Berryman, and loads of others.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

Holy shit...how did I miss this?

I'm reading Simic's The Master of Disguises right now and I hate it. I'm not sure what I expected from it, but despite how vivid his images are, I find little to separate him from the likes of Robert Frost, Billy Collins, or Maxine Kumin.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »

Been forever since I read poetry, but I've been writing a lot lately Here's some links to ones i have posted if anyone cares to read them.
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9070771
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9070643
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9063862
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9063857
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9062806
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9062722
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9045445

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:48:48 AM »

Oh man...totally forgot about this topic.

Uh...honestly, I didn't think any of those poems were all that good. Didn't feel like there was anything truly poetic about them. Just a lot of very cliched lines strung together, and many times you repeat lines over and over again, but not in a way that I would say is good. I would say just keep working at it, and read some more poetry and work with other poets if you want to get better.

Still chugging away at Creeley. I freaking LOVE this man. I don't know what else to say except that he needs to be read.

Also read some Bolano. I've heard his poetry is very mediocre, but I really have liked the few I did read. But, then again, I'm not very good with poetry so I can't always recognize what makes good/bad poetry. His prose is vastly superior though.

Now I must get back to writing this short story that is taking me weeks to write about a broken poet (I've been reading way too much Bolano).
Banestar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »

Holy shit...how did I miss this?

I'm reading Simic's The Master of Disguises right now and I hate it. I'm not sure what I expected from it, but despite how vivid his images are, I find little to separate him from the likes of Robert Frost, Billy Collins, or Maxine Kumin.

If you're feeling open-minded, try something from the '90s, it's much better than the most recent Simic. I recommend The World Doesn't End (hey, I like prose poems), or Jackstraws (my personal favorite collection of his). And relating him to Billy Collins? Ouch. Not cool. I don't care for Collins at all. Too simple and mass-market for my tastes.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »

I actually went to the library intending to pick up The World Doesn't End, as I too love the prose poem (Reverdy, Baudelaire, and Rimbaud). For some reason, I left with that other book. I am still willing to take a peak, but given how singular of a work it seems, I'm not sure where I would go after that.

Azrael: Bolano's poetry isn't bad, it just doesn't hit like his prose does. It also feels a little too much in the post-beat vein of writing. I'm pissed cause the NYPL said they had like 15 copies of The Savage Detectives and after finally getting my hands on a copy and getting like 100 pages into it, I had to return it cause someone placed a hold on it,.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »

I go back to Praise by Robert Hass pretty much every couple of months. The Waste Land by TS Eliot remains my favorite poem ever.

I also just recently read a terrific volume of poetry called Pigafetta is My Wife by Joe Hall. I encourage everyone to check it out. http://www.blackocean.org/pigafetta-is-my-wife/

Lastly, now that I'm several years removed from college, I really get a kick out of the notion of poetry being too main stream. :-)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »

I think I'll have to look into more of his poetry. I am tempted to buy a book of his poetry, but every time I am about to I opt for a novel instead. His prose is pretty terrific.

Also, Vanguard, I feel like you are enough of a book lover that I would trust you enough to loan my copy of The Savage Detectives. I know you're in NYC and I'm in the 'burbs so I don't mind just dropping it in the mail and you can have it for however long it takes (It seriously reads fast, I finished it in about 1.5 weeks). I'm a huge Bolano fanatic and own 6 of his books and would gladly lend his book to anyone interested in him. If you're interested (and can't get a copy from the Library) just PM me your address.

---
I want to get off
the fucking world and
sit down in a chair,
and be there.

God dammit I really love Robert Creeley.

If poetry is mainstream, then what's underground? I guess that'd probably go to the short story maybe?

That Pigafetta book sounds really awesome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:43:58 PM by Azrael » Logged
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

Sure, if you're interested, I could send you a copy of one of those books of poems I have. While the majority of what I own are hardcover collected editions, I do have Lunch Poems or Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror if you wanted to take a look.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

My bro is really good, been published, here are a couple short ones

Truth

truth is hidden within

evidence in nature

evírything becomes true

falsehood comes of imagination

faith from fate

The Road